86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front end problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end problems

Hey guys, I have a 91 4runner v6, and lately I noticed how bad my ride quality is. I understand its a truck and its going to be bad but I feel like the suspension doesn't give any when I go over a bump. I wanted to loosen my torsion bars a bit because my front end is higher than my rear (it has new rear springs) I also measured the distance from the rim to the fenderwell and it was 16 inches. The stock distance is something like 14. Something else that is strange is I had an alignment done about a month ago, and its already going bad again, I haven't hit any curbs either. The steering wheel also give a little play and kind of wanders. I wanted to know if these problems could possibly be related. And also, How do I know how far to loosen the bolts? Is there a torque spec or should I just try and turn the left and right sides the same amount of turns. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may wind up doing what I've pretty much finished. New ball joints, tie rods, steering stabilizer and a idler arm. How many miles? Do you drive it hard, wheel hard, jump cattle guards and such? Then it probably needs BJ's. Tie rods will firm up the steering also as will a new steering stabilizer.

What springs do you have on the back? Measure the wheel rim to fender distance. It's probably about 14". If it's more, you may have some seriously stiff rear springs on it, in which case you either have to live with it or replace them. I had OME 901's and swapped down to OME 900's. The 901's rode rough, made the handling seriously twitchy at speed and rode hard even with a load of people and gear. The 900's are perfect...firmer than stock and pliable enough to absorb bumps.

You should relax those torsion bars to about 14.5" and the ride will be MUCH better and your CV joints will be at less of an angle. Then get it aligned again only buy the lifetime alignment at Firestone so you can get it adjusted everytime you make modifications or knock it out of whack.