Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes I am, no I'm not and yes I was, but no I didn't although I could've been...
okay maybe I did. there... any other questions?

Last edited by abecedarian; 10-17-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
yes I am, no I'm not and yes I was, but no I didn't although I could've been...
okay maybe I did.
there... any other questions?
do you wheel your rig?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:29 PM

actually, I use it for work. I work on cell sites.
I've had it for about 2 years now, and most of it's life, since I've had it at least, has been on pavement, but a good portion of where it has to be able to go is fire-road at best, and often washed out roads.
but technically, I haven't 'wheeled' it, I suppose, at least not for recreation.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:32 PM

gotta luv them yotas!!
Old 10-17-2008, 05:38 PM

luv mine! 1600 for the truck, 1000 for rims and tires, 400 for the lift (+250 for the new springs to replace the blocks).
I know it'll get me where I have to go... but if it can't it'll get me back out so I can call for a dozer.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrxnefx06
I was wondering if there are any easy upgrades for brakes beside stainless steel brake lines and brake pads.<SNIP>
Stainless steel brake lines won't gain you anything over the rubber lines, and, there are a lot of instances of failures of them.

Fred
Old 10-19-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by jason191918
A larger MC would help too. Search tundra brake upgrade. People use those too.
If by larger you mean larger diameter, then no, that, in and of itself, will not help.
A larger diameter MC requires more brake pedal pressure (or more boost) to provide the same clamping force as a smaller diameter MC.

Fred
Old 10-19-2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Toyvana
I ordered drilled/slotted rotors from Performance Products along with some HD brake pads. Really helped my 37's come to a stop.
Drilled rotors do not increase braking performance.
They actually reduce braking performance.

Fred
Old 10-19-2008, 08:14 PM

@FredTJ-
how so?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:39 AM

Received 188 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by FredTJ
If by larger you mean larger diameter, then no, that, in and of itself, will not help.
A larger diameter MC requires more brake pedal pressure (or more boost) to provide the same clamping force as a smaller diameter MC.

Fred
This is true, but a larger MC also pushes more volume so the pedal travel is less. Makes the driver feel like something is happening long before the pedal reaches the floor. I upgraded my MC in my old 83 pickup to the 1" bore with the newer style calipers (90's V6) and it stopped great.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
1" MC from a 89-95 V6 truck/4runner
V6 style calipers from 89-95 truck/4runner
adjust LSPV

Thats what i did to my 87, stops considerably better than before.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:35 PM

@FredTJ-
how so?
How so what ?
Are you talking about the drilled rotors, or the stainless brake lines or the larger diameter MC ?

Fred
Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by coryc85
This is true, but a larger MC also pushes more volume so the pedal travel is less. Makes the driver feel like something is happening long before the pedal reaches the floor. I upgraded my MC in my old 83 pickup to the 1" bore with the newer style calipers (90's V6) and it stopped great.
It stopped great because of the newer style calipers not so much from the larger bore MC.

All things else the same, changing to a larger bore MC will require MORE leg pressure to stop the same as before the change.
It's not the volume of fluid that stops the vehicle, it's the pressure.
Larger bore = less pressure in the brake system with the same pedal pressure.

Fred
Old 10-21-2008, 03:22 PM

Fred

Can you provide a link or some kind of evidence showing that these rotors reduce performance?

Here's what I found:

Upgrading Brakes

I ran HD brake pads from NWOR on stock rotors for a few years and when it was time to change out pads I decided to buy the new rotors also. After installing the new rotors and new pads, the braking power was better than HD pads on stock rotors.

Last edited by Toyvana; 10-21-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Toyvana
Can you provide a link or some kind of evidence showing that these rotors reduce performance?
Friction (stopping power) is a function of pressure, area and coefficient of friction. If you drill holes in the rotors, there's less are, but more pressure on the remaining area, thus about the same braking force.

The benefit of all those little holes is cooling. Hot brake rotors mean brake fade and boiling brake fluid both of which reduce brake performance.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Fred
than why would a vehicle manufacturer over the life of a product increase the bore diameter of a MC?

Fred
Supporting documentation? Are you sure they that don't help to dissapate heat and therefore reduce brake fade?

As far as stainless steel brake lines vs rubber lines, there are cases of both failing. Stainless seem to keep the lines from expanding under pressure, hence why we use stainless pressure lines on our $20 million dollar Photolithography machines @ work instead of plain old rubber lines.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:16 PM

Toyvana, yes I can provide a lot of links but lets work on how brakes work first

Matt16 wrote:
AFriction (stopping power) is a function of pressure, area and coefficient of friction. If you drill holes in the rotors, there's less are, but more pressure on the remaining area, thus about the same braking force.

BThe benefit of all those little holes is cooling. Hot brake rotors mean brake fade and boiling brake fluid both of which reduce brake performance.
A. Simply not true at all.
B. Those "little holes" were never meant or used for cooling.
Back in the "dark ages" before brake pads had much engineering behind them, they use to outgas (produce gas when they got hot) like crazy, and the "little holes" were to allow the gas somewhere to escape.
That's simply not a problem these days with anything that you're likely to drive.

ocdropzone wrote:

than why would a vehicle manufacturer over the life of a product increase the bore diameter of a MC?
Because they increase the "boost", thus the pressure through better engineering.
Do you understand some of the simply principles of fluid hydraulics ?

ocdropzone wrote:

ASupporting documentation? Are you sure they that don't help to dissapate heat and therefore reduce brake fade?

BAs far as stainless steel brake lines vs rubber lines, there are cases of both failing. Stainless seem to keep the lines from expanding under pressure, hence why we use stainless pressure lines on our $20 million dollar Photolithography machines @ work instead of plain old rubber lines.
A. They don't dissipate heat better. More holes = less mass = LESS heat sink.

B. The rubber brake lines in current braking systems aren't "plain old rubber lines".
You should do yourself a favor and cut one open some time and take a look at it.
There is simply no expansion on the rubber brake lines at the pressures that most brake systems operate, even those with hydroboost.

Toyvana, why do you think cross-drilling would help with braking ?

Remember that surface area and mass are both huge factors in the overall braking performance.

Fred
Old 10-22-2008, 08:44 PM

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only change from potential to kinetic and back again....

1- crossdrilling rotors in and of itself does nothing other than reduce the contact area between the pads and rotor which 'technically' reduces the effectiveness of the brakes.
2- crossdrilling rotors CAN increase the heat transfer from the rotor to the air thus increasing the efficiency of transference of energy from forward momentum of the vehicle to heat dispersed to the atmosphere (a significant contributor to global warming if I may add)... which technically increases the effectiveness of the brake system.

ummmm

Last edited by abecedarian; 10-22-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 PM

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only change from potential to kinetic and back again....

1- crossdrilling rotors in and of itself does nothing other than reduce the contact area between the pads and rotor which 'technically' reduces the effectiveness of the brakes.
2- crossdrilling rotors CAN increase the heat transfer from the rotor to the air thus increasing the efficiency of transference of energy from forward momentum of the vehicle to heat dispersed to the atmosphere (a significant contributor to global warming if I may add)... which technically increases the effectiveness of the brake system.

ummmm
1- less area, but more force on that area, thus equally effective. Just like the skinny vs fat tire argument.
2- Don't brake for squirrels, it kills the environment.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 AM

Toyvana, yes I can provide a lot of links but lets work on how brakes work first

Matt16 wrote:

A. Simply not true at all.
B. Those "little holes" were never meant or used for cooling.
Back in the "dark ages" before brake pads had much engineering behind them, they use to outgas (produce gas when they got hot) like crazy, and the "little holes" were to allow the gas somewhere to escape.
That's simply not a problem these days with anything that you're likely to drive.

ocdropzone wrote:

Because they increase the "boost", thus the pressure through better engineering.
Do you understand some of the simply principles of fluid hydraulics ?

ocdropzone wrote:

A. They don't dissipate heat better. More holes = less mass = LESS heat sink.

B. The rubber brake lines in current braking systems aren't "plain old rubber lines".
You should do yourself a favor and cut one open some time and take a look at it.
There is simply no expansion on the rubber brake lines at the pressures that most brake systems operate, even those with hydroboost.

Toyvana, why do you think cross-drilling would help with braking ?

Remember that surface area and mass are both huge factors in the overall braking performance.

Fred

Lol, where are the links please?

Your first point, yes, brakes used to outgas much worse than they do now. But they do still gas under hard braking.

But as other people have pointed out, slotted and/or cross drilled rotors help with cooling. Although crossdrilled rotors tend to crack more often.

They do cool off better because there is more surface area exposed to the air. With crossdrilled rotors it allows even more surface area to the air.

Despite what you think, there is HUGE amount of flex in those lines under braking. Lift up your truck and just have a buddy hit the break while you watch the rubber lines. You can watch them move and flex. Stainless steel braided lines do not flex at all. Theres a reason why they run hard brakes lines as much as possible.

Even a tiny amount of bulging is going to have a large effect on your braking power because it's that much less energy being used to push the pads on the rotor.

If crossdrilled/slotted rotors did nothing everybody would stop making them.

While slotted rotors are more effective, drilled rotors serve the same purpose. They are just more prone to crack.

So, all those links to back up what your saying please. I would love to read them!

Quick Reply: Front Brake Upgrade