Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Flex Plate

Old 11-24-2017, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flex Plate

HI, I am working on a 1988 Toyota 4runner with a 4 cylinder engine and automatic transmission.My flex plate broke and I am trying to find a new replacement. My flex plate has 115 teeth and is 11 9/16" in diameter. It also has 6 holes where it bolts up to the engine however, all the new plates have 10 holes. All other specifications are the same. I was told you would have to turn the plate until the holes lined up but I don't see how it would be possible for it to line up no matter how you turn it. I can't find a plate in stock locally and it will take six days to order one but I don't want to wait a week to find out the new one will not fit. Has anyone had any experience with flex plates and will the bolt holes on the new plate actually line up with the 6 holes in the engine? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Maybe a part # of the new flex plate??

Napa has a listing for one with 6 holes for the 88 22re

In this day many multi use parts made to cut down inventory.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:41 AM

Thanks, I'll check into NAPA again. I looked at NAPA online earlier but only found two plates, one had 8 holes and the other had 10. I will call the store and talk with a salesman directly because I must be overlooking the plate with 6 holes. I don't mind a universal part, unless the extra holes will weaken the plate, but not having the new plate to compare with my old one makes it difficult to imagine how the 6 holes will align with the 10 holes. Thanks for your help wyoming9.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:35 AM

I just called NAPA and the guy could only find the plate with 10 bolt holes, do you happen to have a part number for the plate with six bolt holes?
Old 11-25-2017, 02:00 PM

Red face

I have Napa Prolink I did a simple search 1988 4Runner 2.4 (22re)

Came up with part # BK 6005163

Might not be correct might have been discontinued who knows

Good luck
Old 11-25-2017, 04:38 PM

I just went back to Napa's website and typed the part number you gave me and I think that is the part I needed. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:32 PM

Not sure why it did not come up in your search
Old 11-26-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Not sure why it did not come up in your search

Napa's regular website is weird. When I search for a 1988 4Runner flex plate it only gives me the ten bolt part just like the OP said.

When searching your part number, it comes up as fitting 1990-1995 4Runners and 1981-1995 Pickups. I would think it would fit all with the 22RE.

Strange....

Old 11-30-2017, 08:44 PM

I picked up my flex plate from Napa today and although it hasn't been installed yet,when placed side by side with the old plate they look identical... { Thanks Wyoming9 and old87yota } If it wasn't for you guys I would probably still be searching for the correct plate. Would it be a good idea to use loctite on the flex plate bolts? I think it would be but would like others opinions? Also, what is the torque ft lbs for the flex plate to the torque converter and the plate to the engine? I had a repair manual but it got wet and I haven't replaced it yet. Also, does anyone know where to get a repair manual like the mechanics use that would be more detailed than the standard Haynes manual?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:05 PM

Using loc tite is a good idea anywhere you don't want bolts to loosen due to vibration and to prevent corrosion. I use loc tite on a lot of stuff just for the corrosion resistant properties it has. Just be sure to use the correct one for the size fastener. Blue is usually sufficient for most everything on the truck. Red (or similar) is used in the factory control arm / brake caliper bolts. By God that ˟˟˟˟ is hard to remove sometimes.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:48 PM

Red face

Watch Ebay for the correct Factory Service Manual for your year and model

Flex plate to crank 47 foot pounds

Flex plate to torque converter 20 foot pounds

Loktite is one of those personal choices i just never seem to find it or it is all dried up

Making sure to use the correct bolts
Old 12-01-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I would be careful picking Loctite by "color." Loctite (Henkel) makes dozens of threadlocker products http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/us/co...de_v6_F_LR.pdf, and because there are only so many crayons in the box, more than one of them are blue.

Fortunately, "consumers" are likely to only find Loctite 242 (which is blue) and 271 (red). http://www.loctiteproducts.com/threadlockers.shtml 242 is what you would use if threadlocker is called for in the manual; it can be removed with hand tools. Loctite 271 has a MUCH tougher grip, and requires a torch (heat) and possibly power tools to remove. If you can remove it at all. I can't think of any application on a motor vehicle where you would use 271. Use it, and you could be saying "By God that stuff is hard to remove ...."

The size of the fastener has nothing to do with the choice of thread locker, but you can read the application guide yourself. So far as I can tell, the manual does not call for threadlocker on the flex plate. If it's worked for 25+ years without it, I know what I would choose.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:47 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I hope by tomorrow at this time I have the Toyota back on the road. The fish and deer have been calling my name but i've had no way to get to them. Once i'm back on the road the hardest decision i'm going to make this weekend is choosing between going hunting or fishing, i'm also off on Monday so I may do both.lol Thanks again, you guys on here have made restoring the Toyota, from installing the engine to where i'm at now much easier.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:29 PM

I have everything loose except for the flex plate bolts that goes to the crankshaft. I assume these bolts are standard threads that turn counter clockwise to remove. I have pulled on these bolts fairly hard and they are not moving. I also used an impact wrench but nothing happened. Does anyone have a solution to remove these bolts and are they hard to break? Should I just keep pulling? I don't want to pull hard enough to break something.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:14 PM

Red face

Crank the air pressure up!!

Do you have a decent impact ??

Mine most often spins them right out

1/2" breaker bar long !!

I hope your using 6 point sockets

If your not using a impact you most often need to hold the engine to keep it from turning

Last edited by wyoming9; 12-03-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:51 PM

I have a craftsman impact that I tried first but I don’t think it’s much good even though it’s new. I borrowed another impact but not sure of its quality. I’m using a 6 point socket with a long 1/2” drive breaker bar. I was holding the motor from the front while trying to loosen the bolts but wasn’t sure what I was putting pressure on inside the engine. I probably need a better quality impact. You think tapping the wrench with a hammer would help or would that cause too much stress inside the engine?

Search this Thread