86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

FIPG on cam seals?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FIPG on cam seals?

I think I have an oil leak coming from my cam seals, won't know until this weekend, but I have a leak that comes from the upper front. Not sure where else it COULD come from, other than the caps on the front.

I know you put FIPG around the back seals, but what about the ring?

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
For what it is worth, Toyota doesn't recommend FIPG or any other sealant on either the back seals or the cam seals. http://web.archive.org/web/201208130...68cylinder.pdf

The seals have an elastomeric ("rubber") edge where it meets the cam bearing cap, so that makes sense to me.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
For what it is worth, Toyota doesn't recommend FIPG or any other sealant on either the back seals or the cam seals. http://web.archive.org/web/201208130...68cylinder.pdf

The seals have an elastomeric ("rubber") edge where it meets the cam bearing cap, so that makes sense to me.
I thought I remembered that correctly. I guess the only other spot would be those retaining caps there. Thanks!
Anywhere else I should look?
Old 05-04-2017, 05:04 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
The only "trick" of which I am aware is the installation of the valve covers. The manual shows sealant on four spots under the gasket (I use oil resistant RTV, but if you're really fast, FIPG is certainly a good product). Essentially, where the gasket makes a right angle turn at the cam bearing caps. Skip this at your peril!

RTV doesn't stick really well to oil, so I've gotten much better results when I make sure the RTV-metal is sparkling clean. I just use paint thinner, but brake cleaner might be easier to use.

PS: is that a picture of your engine? I know it's just a matter of time and elbow grease, but cleaned up like that it is a sight to behold.

Last edited by scope103; 05-04-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FPIG is not necessary. What I do is use some transmission Assembly grease and put a thin coat on the outside of the seal(any seal) to help it slide in. If im driving the seal in I will pack the inside of the seal as a precaution to keep the spring from popping out. You probably already know this but they are more easily installed with the cam cap off.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by CRSHR
FPIG is not necessary. What I do is use some transmission Assembly grease and put a thin coat on the outside of the seal(any seal) to help it slide in. If im driving the seal in I will pack the inside of the seal as a precaution to keep the spring from popping out. You probably already know this but they are more easily installed with the cam cap off.
Oh yes, haha they were really hard to get on with the cap off, not sure how I could get it done with the cap on.