Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Filter relocator installed ! With pics !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filter relocator installed ! With pics !!!

Finally I have got enough time, ordered remote mount filter kit from Advance Auto. It is item 240291, I think it is the same as Hayden 291.
You will need a 3/8 hose as a kit does not come with any. Make sure that you use type of hose made for engine/trans oil.
Kit allows much bigger filter to be used ( for Mobil1 it is M1-301 ).
Filter appears to be almost 3 times bigger than a stock size one.
Overall this mod increased oil capacity by app. 1.5q. Hopefully it will allow for a cooler oil temps.

Within a few days I’m going to build a shield for this assembly, so it can be covered against mud/dirt/debris and well as protect against damage.

Any questions, please let me know.

Last edited by MrCivic; 11-27-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: No text
Old 11-27-2010, 04:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCivic
Any questions, please let me know.

Just curious...

Why? Just for increased oil capacity? That's not going to help keep the oil very much cooler on it's own(if at all). You'll still need to install an oil cooler for that. It might take a little longer to heat that much oil up, but that also means it will take a little longer to cool that much oil down. Think about it. More isn't necessarily better in that respect. A larger filter will have less tendency to clog/last longer, but that's really the only thing you're going to potentially gain from installing one. You could probably go longer between oil changes too, based on that and the added oil capacity.

On the relocation...why there? Like you're saying it's going to need covered up just to keep it clean between changes. But won't that also keep it from benefitting from any real air-cooling effect? Which could be the only reason(that I can think of)why you chose that spot, right?

Look, I'm not trying to bash on your idea here. And I don't think you've done anything truly harmful there. But I guess what I can't quite understand is why not just run a larger filter in the stock location? Wouldn't that be a hell of alot more practical?

Maybe I'm missing something? Maybe this'll catch on like wildfire and be the next big craze. I'm highly skeptical it will though, IMO.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy

Just curious...

Why? Just for increased oil capacity? That's not going to help keep the oil very much cooler on it's own(if at all). You'll still need to install an oil cooler for that. It might take a little longer to heat that much oil up, but that also means it will take a little longer to cool that much oil down. Think about it. More isn't necessarily better in that respect. A larger filter will have less tendency to clog/last longer, but that's really the only thing you're going to potentially gain from installing one. You could probably go longer between oil changes too, based on that and the added oil capacity.

On the relocation...why there? Like you're saying it's going to need covered up just to keep it clean between changes. But won't that also keep it from benefitting from any real air-cooling effect? Which could be the only reason(that I can think of)why you chose that spot, right?

Look, I'm not trying to bash on your idea here. And I don't think you've done anything truly harmful there. But I guess what I can't quite understand is why not just run a larger filter in the stock location? Wouldn't that be a hell of alot more practical?

Maybe I'm missing something? Maybe this'll catch on like wildfire and be the next big craze. I'm highly skeptical it will though, IMO.
Well, Mudhippy. Location of a stock filter is horrible. I've got pretty big hands and trying to get it out is a pain. and regadless of what u do, oil will be gushing out of old filter as you are removing it, and dripping everywhere on a truck. And since it is sitting right on engine there no aircooling effect, it actually gets pretty hot from engine's heat.
New loc is a breeze to change, and dripping oil can easily be catched by a container placed directly underneath.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:33 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
personally I don't like the ideas of an oil line outside of the frame rails like that. I would have also mounted it upside down instead of sideways. As it will tend not to leak as much and can be primed as well prior to install, which would be one of my main concerns as well with using a larger filter. If you were worried about heat, then I would have relocated it to the fenderwell in front of the air filter box somewhere. Not sure how much room is there on those though. Gonna assume this is on a 3.0 since you located it in the drivers fenderwell.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:38 PM

If I was going to relocate the stock filter I would certainly at least locate it somewhere where it could be mounted vertically, at least that way it's less messy when you remove it and it's easier to fully prime before installing a new one.

I'll agree the stock location sucks but it's probably better off there than where you have it. If you're concerned about oil temperature it's always a good idea to confirm the stock oil cooler operation. When my brother had his oil cooler part on his old 4runner we found that a large chunk of silicone had lodged itself in the coolant passage severely reducing it's efficiency, not sure how it got there but it was nice to get it removed.

I don't think you have to worry about oil temperatures with the stock arrangement, if anything switch to a synthetic oil if you wish which has higher temperature limits.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 PM

Well, Mudhippy. Location of a stock filter is horrible. I've got pretty big hands and trying to get it out is a pain. and regadless of what u do, oil will be gushing out of old filter as you are removing it, and dripping everywhere on a truck. And since it is sitting right on engine there no aircooling effect, it actually gets pretty hot from engine's heat.
New loc is a breeze to change, and dripping oil can easily be catched by a container placed directly underneath.
I'll admit it's a messy affair, but not terribly difficult(with a 3" body lift anyways). And I really do believe that it gets plenty of air flow(air-cooling effect)from the engine cooling fan in it's stock location. I think Toyota did just fine in regards to that(it's actually located exactly where the factory oil cooler sits on a 2WD 3VZE). Not too mention their placement of the stock 4WD oil cooler which sits even further towards the firewall and would, by your line of thinking, get even less air-cooling effect in that location. However, I'm sure it still actually recieves adequate cooling from the engine's cooing fan sitting there as well(though it's technically not an air-cooled unit anyways). We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

Had you not heard of the dual oil filter mod for the 3VZE? I still think it's a better option in comparison. It also yields the benefits of added oil capacity, as well as double filtration(not offered by using just one larger filter BTW). Plus, with both filters being located in the stock oil cooler's locations(2WD and 4WD), they're going to be just as likely to benefit from any air-cooling effects from the engine's cooling fan.

Since you didn't mention having the factory oil cooler on yours, and did mention your desire to accomplish cooler oil temps, perhaps you still could do it too. That'd be a whole LOT of oil though, and maybe not such a practical option either. Or does yours have the stock oil cooler there? I assumed not.

Here's what mine looks like with dual oil filters installed.

3VZE dual oil filter mod thread

Installing a factory oil cooler on a 3VZE without one IS NOT plug-and-play, in case anyone's wondering. It requires another type/design of water pump be installed additionally to the oil cooler and all it's associated hardware/components. An aftermarket oil cooler installation would be the easiest route.

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-27-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 AM

Does the new bigger filter have the same check valve psi. setting. I put a bigger (longer) filter in my 22re and the check valve psi. setting was like 16psi. instead of the stock filter being 8 psi., which has the potential to starve the bearings for oil until pressure is equalized. just a thought
Old 11-28-2010, 07:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Running dual filters is next to useless unless one of them is filtering to a smaller level, such as a Trasko, which filters down to 1/10th of a micron.

http://www.trasko-usa.com/

Check them out and put that second filter to work! Otherwise, if the first filter didn't catch it, why would the second one if it's only filtering the same amount by design? Check out Trasko's line of filters, they really are fantastic.

Originally Posted by Trasko
Superior Filtration

Conventional shunt filters filter no finer than 20 microns. 40% of all dirt particles in the oil are smaller than a micron. This means that 40% of abrasive particles continually circulate in the engine wearing it out. THE TRASKO FILTER spin on filtration system refines oil 1/10th of a micron, vastly improving oil purity and reducing engine wear.

Cooler Oil
Oil remains up to 20% cooler due to cooling fin design. Cooling is the most important factor in oil lubrication and keeps oil way below the threshold of oil and additive thermal deterioration.

Superior Lubrication

In addition to removing all dirt, carbon and sludge, our systems remove all moisture and water content that causes acid in the oil and is responsible for 70% to 80% of engine wear.

Lower Maintenance and Repair Costs

Superior filtration, lubrication, and cooling affects a fleets bottom line more than any other single factor. This is the new paradigm in significantly reducing overhead, doubling engine life, increasing fuel economy, reducing emissions and helping the environment.... one engine at a time.

Also, to the OP- 3/8" hoes? That's way too small in my opinion. That's equivalent to about -6AN. For oil systems you want to run somewhere around -8AN for a minimum, which is 1/2" hose. Best route is -10AN, equivalent to 5/8".

Last edited by shaeff; 11-28-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I understand the reason to want to move the oil filter to an easier to reach location, but you're not at all worried about it being out in the open, directly behind the tire like that?

What's going to happen when you're doing 65mph, and a little rock in the road gets stuck between two lugs in the tire, and then comes free at just the right moment to fling out and hit the filter?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I understand the reason to want to move the oil filter to an easier to reach location, but you're not at all worried about it being out in the open, directly behind the tire like that?

What's going to happen when you're doing 65mph, and a little rock in the road gets stuck between two lugs in the tire, and then comes free at just the right moment to fling out and hit the filter?
I'd guess there would be a sudden leak?
Old 11-28-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by shaeff
Running dual filters is next to useless unless one of them is filtering to a smaller level, such as a Trasko, which filters down to 1/10th of a micron.
I agree, there's not going to be much extra filtration of super-fine particulates(below 20 microns). However, since 20 microns is better than most filters on the market can handle efficiently, I have an alternate plan along those same lines of reasoning. I've been thinking that since the Purolator PureONE is 99.9% efficient @ 20 microns, I might just use the cheaper Purolator filter(97.5% efficient @ 20 microns)in the primary position and use it in the secondary. It's pretty much a waste of money to run 2 filters that have equal filtration ratings(even though the cheaper one is only ~$2 less). I like Purolator oil filters because they provide excellent filtration, they're cheap, and they're readily available at the place I go to get my oil too.

I like the idea of the Trasko filter, but at an initial buy in cost of between $83-$110 for the unit and filtration media, it's just not something I can justify spending that much money on right now. Hell, it's $10 for just one filter change kit with one of those. I can buy the 2 Purolators for $7 or $9, depending whether they're on sale.

I wonder where the "1/10th of a micron" figure originated? It's posted on various sites, but not theirs.

Their site states:
When flow is least restrictive the absolute particle rating efficiency is less than a micron. Upon relief actuation the secondary efficiency is still between 8-10 microns. An efficiency rating still higher than any stock type full-flow filters.

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-28-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:14 PM

I have the same kit (just not installed). I was thinking of putting it inside the engine compartment instead... The instructions that came with the kit are pretty vague but I would think that the fittings for the hoses would be 1/2" (that is what they look like to me)? How did you know what model of filter fits the new location piece??? Thanks
Old 11-28-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
I agree, there's not going to be much extra filtration of super-fine particulates(below 20 microns). However, since 20 microns is better than most filters on the market can handle efficiently, I have an alternate plan along those same lines of reasoning. I've been thinking that since the Purolator PureONE is 99.9% efficient @ 20 microns, I might just use the cheaper Purolator filter(97.5% efficient @ 20 microns)in the primary position and use it in the secondary. It's pretty much a waste of money to run 2 filters that have equal filtration ratings(even though the cheaper one is only ~$2 less). I like Purolator oil filters because they provide excellent filtration, they're cheap, and they're readily available at the place I go to get my oil too.

I like the idea of the Trasko filter, but at an initial buy in cost of between $83-$110 for the unit and filtration media, it's just not something I can justify spending that much money on right now. Hell, it's $10 for just one filter change kit with one of those. I can buy the 2 Purolators for $7 or $9, depending whether they're on sale.

I wonder where the "1/10th of a micron" figure originated? It's posted on various sites, but not theirs.

Their site states:
Right on. That's not a bad idea either. I prefer the bypass filter setup, but I understand it's not the best alternative for others. Perolator does indeed make nice filters.

I got the 1/10th of a micron bit from here:

If you go to this link:
http://www.trasko-usa.com/ in the text there's a hyperlink that says "click here" that will lead you to the screen shot above. In any case, for someone who's a freak about filtration the Trasko is great. I ran one on my MKIII Supra until I took it off the road for restoration. (in a dual filter setup)
Old 11-28-2010, 06:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I perfer WIX oil filters or Toyota. Just not a big fan of the cheapos.

I could actually see the difference after I installed a short block and reman head. Had always used Fran but read an article on here about manufacturing irregularies and difference porousity of the filters. Forget the miles driven but was less than a couple hundred, seems like before 500 mile first oil change. Oil was already black spun the Fran off replaced with a WIX was a visible difference in the oil in a very short time. Plus WIX used to be made in Gastonia, NC but see they're now made in china like everything else.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by muddpigg
I perfer WIX oil filters or Toyota. Just not a big fan of the cheapos.

I could actually see the difference after I installed a short block and reman head. Had always used Fran but read an article on here about manufacturing irregularies and difference porousity of the filters. Forget the miles driven but was less than a couple hundred, seems like before 500 mile first oil change. Oil was already black spun the Fran off replaced with a WIX was a visible difference in the oil in a very short time. Plus WIX used to be made in Gastonia, NC but see they're now made in china like everything else.
kinda funny, oem filters cost a litte bit less then most haha.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:48 PM

Price has little to do with it.

That's from the best aftermarket oil filter comparison thread ever!

BTW, WIX sucks!

PureONE RULES!!!

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-28-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by quiggs12
I have the same kit (just not installed). I was thinking of putting it inside the engine compartment instead... The instructions that came with the kit are pretty vague but I would think that the fittings for the hoses would be 1/2" (that is what they look like to me)? How did you know what model of filter fits the new location piece??? Thanks
I've just put a biggest filter that could fit there, has the same gasket and threat size.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Interesting post doesn't say anything about the filteration but that would really be hard to do outside of a lab. A quick search and many reviews of disected filters but haven't anything on particle size and effeciency. Some will state a particle size but don't state the effeciency of removing that particle on a single or multiple pass. Will try to search more later my leash is getting pulled
Old 12-01-2010, 07:21 PM

I've just put a biggest filter that could fit there, has the same gasket and threat size.

Can you specify the filter you used... please.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by quiggs12
Can you specify the filter you used... please.
I used Mobil1 - m1-301, you can also use Purolator PureOne - pl30001 costs half the price of mobil.

Quick Reply: Filter relocator installed ! With pics !!!