86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fickle fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy fickle fuel system

i am working on my 86 toyota pickup with a 22r carbed motor that was rebuilt last year and the only trip it took was a 70 round trip to colfax and back in the winter,that's when i found out the heater doesn't work. i think it was a airpocket,don't know. it is still low on antifreeze. i tried to start it the other day and it would crank and it has spark just no gas. since it was the original fuel pump and it had over 200,000 miles on it i changed the pump, didn't help,so i changed the filters,still no gas getting to the carb,hooked a hose to the inlet to the pump and put the other end in a 2 gallon gas can and it fired right up so i let it run until the gas ran out,noticed the float level was a little off but not enough to cause problems. changed all the hose to and from the gas tank along with the clamps. it still won't pump from the tank.blew out all the hoses they are all clear,when it gets gas to the carb it runs great just need to get gas to the carb. maybe the fuel pump is bad even though it is new i will try to disconnect the hose to the carb and put it in a clear bottle to see if that part works. is it possible the float could be bad. tried tapping it ,didn't help.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
If it is running from a gas can but not from the tank, I would say your float is good. The gas tanks in these old trucks or any old truck can get a lot of build up inside the tank. That build up can look like rust but is just chemical additives to the gas. I would make sure the Fuel Pick Up Assembly in the tank is in great shape. Mud can get on top of the tank and rust up the metal lines that drop down to the bottom of the tank or even be clogged up in the lines.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
found out the problem it was the metal fuel line that runs under the intake manifold. it was pinched a bit.