86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

famly truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
famly truck

In December of 1986, my Grandpa went to the toyota dealership and came home with a brand new 1987 Toyota 4x4 Truck. my dad grew up riding in the truck, on and off road. as did my aunt and uncle. in 1989 my Grandpa put crome rollbars in the bed with two square lights just over the cab. in 1992 the original 22r engine went out, about a month later, Grandpa found a 22r out of a retired buzz class race car. that engine is in it now. in 1995, my Grandpa got a new truck and stoped driving the Toyota. he parked it at the corner of his shop where it sat for 5 years. in 2000, my dad did alot of work for my Grandpa and was payed with the truck. It would not start. Dad went through the truck and brought it back to life. replaced batery, gastank, complete fuel system, plugs, wires, starter, oil, oil filter, and more. dad used the truck to pull his 1976 master craft Ski Tique to the boat ramp on Smith Lake. in 2010, my dad decided to teach my sister how to drive a 5-speed in the Truck. the wheels were turned hard to the left twards the house. the truck was about a foot from the house. my sister was sitting in the driver seat with her foot on the clutch. my dads buddy was walking through the front yard and steped in a massive pile of dog crap. my sister saw it and started laughing, her foot sliped off the clutch, truck jumped into the house. thankfully there wasnt to much damage. cracked windsheild, and one dent. a couple of days ago, my dad give the Truck to me. I jumped in it and went from Arley to Jasper and a couple more places. 2 days after i had it, the timing chain broke. Thats where im at now. i have big plans for this truck. i want to make it look like it did when my grandpa bought it. my dad removed the roll bars and left them in the yard and they got all rusted up. he give me those too. i am going to paint the truck back black and i plan on puting the original check decal back down the sides. but i dont know were i can get the decal. if any one knows, please send me a link or somthing. thanks for any help
Old 07-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Try james dean creations for decal kit.

Timing chain try a dual row kit from engine builder.

I think that it what you were asking after trying to filter out the rest of the story..

Last edited by dropzone; 07-23-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Try james dean creations for decal kit.

Timing chain try a dual row kit from engine builder.

I think that it what you were asking after trying to filter out the rest of the story..

sorry, this truck really means alot to me and i just didnt want to leave any thing out. thanks for the info, im new to the 4x4 world, last car was an 88 Mazda Rx-7, before that, a 89 240sx. i dont know much about the truck yet

do you know were i can get the TOYOTA decal on the tail gate? i could not find it on www.jamesdeancreations.com

Last edited by spahn; 07-27-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 PM

since I've had the truck I've:

removed all rust from roll over bar
fixed interior light and door alarm
got tail gate working again
replaced tires
replaced ignitor
installed r/c 3000lb wench
rhino lined the bed
made rebel flag head liner ( not push pined. i did it right lol)
now i am working on getting it ready for paint.

i will get some pics on here soon.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:51 PM

also does any one know why my power steering reservoir cap is spelled TOYODA and not TOYOTA?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "TOYODA" is after the founder. There was a thread on here that had discussed that and how it was bad luck to name a company after one's self, so he changed it to YOTA. There are several parts with that name on it.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:18 PM

oh ok, thats pretty cool, thanks
Old 07-27-2011, 05:19 PM

Gotta love the Toyotas with memories.

Not sure where you can find the stripes and i'm no mechanic, but i would love to see some pictures of the truck.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:21 PM

any one know if a 2jz swap has been done on one of thees trucks? ive been thinking about it but it would probably take a lot of fab work
Old 07-27-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Diablo22RE
Gotta love the Toyotas with memories.

Not sure where you can find the stripes and i'm no mechanic, but i would love to see some pictures of the truck.
i will try to get some one here later i dont have a way at the moment
Old 08-03-2011, 03:07 PM

removed carpet and seat and found alot of rust in the driver side floor pan. one of the drain plugs are missing and it i guess it let some water in. took the valve cover off and descovered that the timing chain was not broke, there was slack in the chain and it jumped of the sprocket, now in the process of getting in put back on. does any one close tp my location have a 22r for sell? also, my truck is a a/c delete. and the climate control cover is broke. does any one know were to find one? thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 04:01 PM

james dean creations have the tailgate logos here:

http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/pretacomalogos.htm
Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 PM

thanks for the link, i got the new carepet in yesterday. looks pretty good. i went with black indstead of the grey that was in it originally. my retarded brother tried to move my truck when i wasnt there and for got to let my e-break off. so my wench went through the grill of his silverado, and my bumper got a dent. pissed me off so bad.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:25 AM

fixed the bumper, now my brother has a busted grill
Old 08-22-2011, 06:28 AM

My Girl Friend is pregnant! we find out what we are having on the 6th
Old 08-23-2011, 05:51 AM

got the seats back in, and replaced bed liner with roll on liner.looks alot better.so far im proud of the way my Grandpa's old truck is turning out
Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Congrats on the little one.
Upload some pics of your truck...
Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 AM

my old yoter

i made this thread before but after 2 hours of looking, i never found it. any ways, my name is Jared and i am the proud owner of a 1987 Toyota 4x4 5-speed manual. it was purchased new by my grandfather in December of 1986. in 1995 the original 22r locked up randomly. My grandpa could only afford a used engine and found one out of a 70's model Celica that was set up for round track racing. he was told the engine had been bored 40 over. in 1996 my Grandpa got a new truck and parked the Toyota in the edge of the woods.in 2000, my dad done some work for my grandpa and received the Toyota as payment. he pulled it home on a trailer and pulled the gas tank. while the new gas tank came in, he replaced all of the gas lines. when the tank came in, he grabbed a hot battery and a couple gallons of gas and turned it over. to our surprise, it started up. the truck used a ton of oil. every time dad got gas, he would have to add a quart of oil. Dad thought it needed rings. in 2011, my dad passed down the old truck to me. i knew it needed work, but i didn't really care. i was thrilled to have Grandpa's old yoter! three days after i got the truck, the timing chain jumped off of the top and bottom sprockets. im pretty sure it bent my valves so the truck has been sitting at my brothers house. i recently got my hands on a 1984 2wd sr5 with a 22re. the block has a massive hole in it. i was able to salvage everything off of the 22re to put my truck on the road again. i am also going to make use of the bucket seats, center console, sr5 guage cluster, oh and im going fuel injected! i will put pics up when i get the chance. wish me luck! P.S. if any body has any tips on the fuel injection swap, please let me know!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Here you go:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...-truck-238598/
Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 AM

For future reference, click on your user name, select 'view public profile' and go to the 'statistics' tab. There you will find every post and thread of yours.

Last edited by BMcEL; 03-12-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: famly truck