86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Epic fails....catastrophic carnage!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Epic fails....catastrophic carnage!!

Melted hole right through piston!!

The chain tensioner note the hole in the end that guides the chain

Alright so here is my most epic fail (to date lol)

Lets see some of yours... Catastrophic engine failure, axle breaks, whatcha got?

Also please note cause of failure and if it was preventable so we can learn from your mistakes too.

For me melted hole in #2 piston cause of failure- pinned chain tensioner (bolts in wrong places) throwing off cam timing also didn't know you had to short ecu to set ignition timing (in my defense neither did the shop I took it to that said it was fine. Needless to say they are no longer around) So certainly preventable just should have researched here on YT before tackling the project but I thought I knew everything I needed to lol.

I showed you mine so let's see some of yours!!

Old 08-15-2016, 04:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LT1 TA. The owner said it ran good just needed a starter and a tune up.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:10 AM

That's crazy it ripped clear off the wrist pin!

That's one major tune up!

Old 08-15-2016, 01:09 PM

Yeah it was burning oil in the #1 and he kept driving it until it killed over on him when the piston let go. We ended up dropping a hot camed LT4 into it and he was very happy.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:19 PM

Yikes that was one expensive starter and tune up lol

Atleast it was a customer rig for a minute I thought you bought it like that thinking all it needed was a starter and tune up!

Old 08-16-2016, 06:03 AM

The owner said it ran good just needed a starter and a tune up.

It ran good - until it didn't!
Old 08-16-2016, 09:03 AM

Lol no doubt!

Alright ppl let's see your fails! We all make mistakes, nobody will tease you for it! If your worried just blame the previous owner lol (or customer!)
Old 08-16-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
I don`t take pictures of things that go well

Why would I take pictures of mistakes

Maybe I can find the News Paper pictures of the day I burnt down the garage two trucks and the house but the Fire Company did save the foundation and basement floor

That taught me a expensive lesson and people think Student loans are bad.

I guess that would be a epic fail

Young and dumb put a much higher fuse in the circuit .
Old 08-16-2016, 11:28 AM

Lol ppl take pics of everything now days including their food so why not? I pretty well photo-document my tear downs and it's interesting to get pics of the crazy stuff.

yeah made that mistake too lol torched my steering column luckily that was all the damage tho-wired in push button start and kept blowing fuses finally put in bigger fuse and the night I graduated HS I went to leave the parking lot for the final time and all the wires roasted VERY lucky I didn't burn it to the ground!

Last edited by 4RunnerFreak12; 08-16-2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 08-16-2016, 04:53 PM

Old 08-16-2016, 11:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
To me pictures still mean I think of taking them to get developed finding that most are so blurry as to not know what it was.

Then I have quite enough of my Thumb.

I guess it must be a younger generation thing
Old 08-17-2016, 08:39 AM

Lol yeah I can understand that. You would be right, I am in between the film/digital generation. My first camera took film so do understand how important something has to be to be worth a picture. But I got my first digital camera at about 12 from my grandparents and now have over 3000 pics just on my phone you could say I have a thing for taking pics. Mostly cars too and my pets. I still have a 35mm SLR I use occasionally but digital just makes things so much easier! I can goto Wally World pull up there kiosk app (Fuji film) and print pics instantly w/o a cord.

Back on topic tho lets see some broken stuff ppl!!!

For educational purposes not (just) our entertainment!
Old 08-17-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my pressure plate came apart at 7k due to defective manufacturing and broke the bell housing and rear casting off the block. total loss of a 40k mile 2jzgte and 800 mile r150/r154 hybrid trans. i traded off what was left of trans, kept the motor as it has a lot of gooddins i can use. repowered with a newer 2jzgte a340E/F hybrid to retain 4wd. bpu'd and pushing 400 hp. it was an expensive fix after trying to save a buck and buy a cheap ebay clutch. there was a reason the other clutch kits were 800 bucks. This is in a 1986 4runnner

Last edited by blake.nemitz; 08-17-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:02 PM

DAMN!! That's crazy! Really sucks try to save some money on a big project then have it blow up in your face. Just proves time and time again you get what you pay for!

Thats awesome couldn't imagine my truck with 400 hp that's gotta be fun to drive!
Old 08-18-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it is now that the rear is locked and i rigged up a double stack swaybar setup in front, had an extra and used modified swaybar drop brackets to mount another sway bar an inch below the stocker and rigged up some links to the control arms, it handles really good now, also clamped leaves to the overload spring to stiffen it all up and control axle wrap. #driftlife auto is fun but i miss clutch kicking around corners to kick the rear out and drift it. cant really do the same in an auto technique has to change before i demolish it again. enough about me i want to see more carnage!!
Old 08-18-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
i want to see more carnage!!
x2!!!
Old 08-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This is all in my build thread, but it's some decent 22re destruction to look at for the morbid people here...

Similar thing to yours happened to my engine but didn't blow a hole through the piston yet.

The rings were snapped into two or three pieces.

Didn't have a tensioner anymore and it still started and ran! The timing would jump about 25 degrees at random.

Napa tensioner that comes with the really cheap timing kit. Avoid.

Oil pan debris: driver's timing guide, timing cover pieces, tensioner spring, tensioner damper pad and what appears to be a plumbing o-ring. It was probably dropped into the oil filler hole at a quick-lube place.

The old bearings look like they've seen more than a little coolant in their day.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:25 PM

Dang I thought I had a lot of junk in my oil pan! Looks like your engine had a potluck every part contributed something!

Thanks for the heads up with the cheap tensioner will stick with ENGNBLDR his kit comes with OSK tensioner and steel driver side rail

Good ole Toyota for ya did it still run when you tore it down?

Edit you already said it still ran that's awesome!

Last edited by 4RunnerFreak12; 08-19-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RunnerFreak12
Dang I thought I had a lot of junk in my oil pan! Looks like your engine had a potluck every part contributed something!

Thanks for the heads up with the cheap tensioner will stick with ENGNBLDR his kit comes with OSK tensioner and steel driver side rail

Good ole Toyota for ya did it still run when you tore it down?

Edit you already said it still ran that's awesome!
Yeah, I know it would've quit eventually. It's last drive before rebuild was a 500 mi round trip to WV. It stalled out a few times and was real tough to restart. I could hear the chain flapping all over the place the last 150 miles. Required nerves of steel! I just coasted as much as possible, but these trucks will drive for awhile without a tensioner or intact guides. Just be prepared to replace the timing cover and head along with a bunch of other stuff!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
#2 ring failure. I heard it pop and then could hear it bouncing around in the motor until it ground up enough to pass by the valve.

Quick Reply: Epic fails....catastrophic carnage!!