86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine smoking after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine smoking after rebuild

Hello everyone! This forum has always been a huge help with my truck so I decided to sign up and ask my first question.
So after rebuilding my engine the truck is blowing blue smoke during acceleration. I originally installed the piston rings incorrectly and lined up the gaps so I had to remove the head and reorient the piston ring gap spacing. Everything is new except the rockers and springs. I have already replaced the valve guides and have no idea what it could be. At idle there is little to no smoking and only when I rev it or get under load does it smoke. I did reuse the head gasket after reorienting the rings but it looked really good. I did have to have it bored .060 over and I am using a Weber carb but other than that it is stock. Could the rings just need to seat or do I need to tear it back apart? If I need to tear back into it what should I look for? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2017, 06:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
How many miles on it since the new rings? and What oil are you using?
Old 11-14-2017, 08:19 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Can you do a leak-down test? I would be concerned about re-using even a brand-new head gasket, but the first place I would look would be rings. You can even do a before/after leakdown test with a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder (to improve ring sealing).

The "magic" of a leakdown test is that you can use your ears to find the leak (if it shows up as a leak). And, of course, narrow it down to a specific cylinder.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using castrol conventional 10w-30 and this is the first drive. I haven't done a leakdown test yet but will be trying that tomorrow. I did notice that I overfilled the oil slightly but I'm not sure that would cause no smoke at idle and a trail behind me when accelerating.