Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Engine Noise, 3.0. Rod? Exhaust? engine mount?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts
Engine Noise, 3.0. Rod? Exhaust? engine mount?

Everyones favorite game show! Guess that engine sound!!!

Friend of mine alerted to me that its not a natural sound, now my engine has always i repeat always sounded this way since i started driving it last august. It is much more defined and noticable when shifting gears, and the engine was at about 4rpm when i did this.

Sorry its a cell phone.

I have heard from rod bearings... to engine mounts....

Seriously, anything is worth a go.

Engine was rebuilt about 50K miles ago. Fully redone, was a blown head gasket baby. Compression is good, oil pressure is at the normal operating levels with 10w30 in it during the summer months (anywhere from low 60's to high 80s F)

ANY ideas?

On a serious note, i dont want the suggestions of 'ditch it for a 3.4/4.3/anyotherfreakingengineorareplacementone!'
Old 09-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
I swap it.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Logan, shut up.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Just sayin...that you're paranoid....
Old 09-17-2010, 05:52 PM

If your not part of the solution your part of the problem!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Yes...
Old 09-17-2010, 05:56 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Does it only make the noise when you continue to move the throttle repeatedly? Im assuming thats the noise you're refering to. It sounds the same as my 3VZ. but honestly, if its always sounded like that, and you've driven on it for how ever long. Maybe it's nothing?

If it were an engine mount, you'd have some serious rattling/idling issues. and itsDefinitely not a rod/knock or valve tick...

to me, in the video it just sounds like the intake sucking air.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:59 PM

Mak,

It makes the noise most noticeably then at 4K rpm when rolling the throttle, but it was pointed out when i let the clutch in, shift gears, let the clutch out.

The vehicle has been in our family for 7 years, my dad rebuilt the engine, and it had maybe 1K miles on it in that span, then it sat for over a year, then i drove it for a while, then it sat for 8 more months, and ive had it every day since last august. i put the 50K miles on it since then, and again, its always sounded this way.

Engine mount was my idiot brothers idea

I wish i had a better recording device, as its not the intake, its clearly something making contact with something else.

Im the type of person that this will make me loose sleep over...
Old 09-17-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are your catalytic converter shields loose?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:00 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
does it stop when you shut it off?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux
Are your catalytic converter shields loose?
The noise is coming from the engine compartment.

On that note, ill check tomorrow, but i do not believe they are.

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
does it stop when you shut it off?
Yes! My god! We've fixed the issue!

ahem...

Old 09-17-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
maybe the experts will chime in then. I recently was stumped for about 2 weeks trying to fix my car. decided to do a tune up, ran perfect before the tune up, completed the tune up ( plugs, wires, cap, and rotor ) and it wouldn't start... needless to say, i gave up, took it to a mechanic and it was the VAFM. :/ 600 bucks later. would've never known...

So it mostly makes the noise when the RPMs are spooling back down when you push the clutch in to shift? via that video, it sounds normal to me. how knowledgable is your friend? lol does he know what he's talking about?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
maybe the experts will chime in then. I recently was stumped for about 2 weeks trying to fix my car. decided to do a tune up, ran perfect before the tune up, completed the tune up ( plugs, wires, cap, and rotor ) and it wouldn't start... needless to say, i gave up, took it to a mechanic and it was the VAFM. :/ 600 bucks later. would've never known...
I changed my sparkplugs and forgot to plug my distributor back in.... I was pissed, Jason goes 'did you uh... plug the distributor in?'

So it mostly makes the noise when the RPMs are spooling back down when you push the clutch in to shift? via that video, it sounds normal to me. how knowledgable is your friend? lol does he know what he's talking about?
He knows quite a bit about toyotas in general, and 22re's specifically... other than that... no idea LOL but it got me thinking...
Old 09-17-2010, 06:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Ooooo........sounds like a Honda. <<<insert schmitt eatin' grin>>>

Last edited by thook; 09-17-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
needless to say, i gave up, took it to a mechanic and it was the VAFM. :/ 600 bucks later. would've never known...
Expert chiming in! AGAIN!!!

Check your ECU for stored codes. See those codes flashing there? Those are VAFM codes. Your seeing them means you should have just looked for them atleast. Before asking someone else to diagnose or fix the problem. What no paperclip? Please....

Should've taken my advice no?
Originally Posted by MudHippy
O.k., gotta know the code or we are going to get nowhere fast.
I'll assume for now that it's 14. But you need to get a paper clip and check it yourself. I'm sure you must have watched him do it right?
If not here's the link. Read it, and get the code for yourself. Really simple stuff, a trained monkey could do it. No special tools or expertise required.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...85diagnosi.pdf
Can you say EPIC FAIL?

Originally Posted by thook
Ooooo........sounds like a Honda. <<<insert eatin' grin>>>

Careful there! I see an infraction in your near future for trying to bypass the censure. Ask me how I know. I'd edit that out posthaste if I were you.(Not all of it of course, just the flavor of the grin should do.)

And to the OP...your engine has a noisy intake. 3VZEs are known for that.

I heard nothing even remotely like rod knock.

The engine mount thing? Come on are you serious?

Last edited by MudHippy; 09-17-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Expert chiming in! AGAIN!!!

Check your ECU for stored codes. See those codes flashing there? Those are VAFM codes. Your seeing them means you should have just looked for them atleast. Before asking someone else to diagnose or fix the problem. What no paperclip? Please....

Should've taken my advice no?

Can you say EPIC FAIL?

I'm really feelin' the love here, bro. Why the condescending flare? Everything got fixed. What's the difference?

Careful there! I see an infraction in your near future for trying to bypass the censure. Ask me how I know. I'd edit that out posthaste if I were you.(Not all of it of course, just the flavor of the grin should do.)

Yeah. I'm aware the infraction hammer. I've been hit before. Duly edited.

And to the OP...your engine has a noisy intake. 3VZEs are known for that.

I heard nothing even remotely like rod knock.

The engine mount thing? Come on are you serious?
Can't really hear the video well on my speakers. So, I guess I can't comment. I can say my wife's 3vze is not that noisy. Why not put a stethoscope to the motor and pinpoint the noise? Then you can sleep at night.....
Old 09-17-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Mine's quiter now that the ISR mod is in place. Made a cool sounding, but pretty loud, whistling noise before. I kinda liked it because it sounded like I had a turbocharger stuffed under the hood. I've also heard/read random comments along the same lines from other 3VZ-E owners. Not all, but a few besides me anywho.

And hey...I took it easy on 'im. What's his problem?

Whining about paying $600 to have a mechanic solve his troubles. When I'd, in no uncertain terms, already told him how to do it on his own. Yeah...I'm a mechanic too ya know!? For cryin' out loud! "would've never known..." WHAT!?

Sheesh! What a !

AND...

Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't the MAIN point of offering a technical advice forum to give folks a chance to avoid paying out the brown-eye to fix their vehicles.(i.e. high priced mechanics, stealership, etc., etc.)

I mean...that is what we do, or atleast try to do here, no?

Disrespect...plain an' simple. Some people's kids...I swear...

Oh well...you can lead a horse to water....

Last edited by MudHippy; 09-17-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:38 PM

I understand how you feel, man. But, if you go back and look at the circumstances and the date of the posts, you'll see he said he would check the code after you'd suggest it. However, he didn't even have a chance to check the codes before my wise ars chimed in and gave my opinion. That's when he called the mechanic and told them where they might look for the problem. So, they found the problem before he even got over to the shop, again. I dunno.....didn't seem like he was whining to me. All in all dude was a pretty good sport for having forked up royally. Also, seemed like to me he thought the bill was rather fair all things considered. $600's a lot to me, too. Even though it'd be worth it to put it in the hands of the good mechanic, it's still not easy to let go of that much paper. Guess that's why I do all my own where I have the tools to do so. Mak92 tried. I'll give'em that.

Last edited by thook; 09-17-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:47 PM

BTW, didn't know you were a mechanic. A professional one (?), that is.

Oh, and on his own, he probably wouldn't have ever known. He was atleast wise enough to take it somewhere where someone probably knew better and even post about it here on YT. There've plenty of goobers fork up royally far worse than he did........and continue to do so! Might as well shoot them horses!
Old 09-18-2010, 03:17 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
matt try taking sound from down by the block and After the fan clutch settles.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise, 3.0. Rod? Exhaust? engine mount?