Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Emissions system help, please. (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:08 AM
BT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally passed! On the 25 mph test all emissions were nearly zero, even NOx only measured 32ppm. On the 15 mph it wasn't as good, but nothing was more than 50% of max, except HC's. I only passed on 15 mph HC's by 2 ppm. I guessing that was high because the timing is retarded slightly.

So, bypassing the PAIR and EGR VSV's worked.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by BT
My truck isn't a CA model, it didn't come with an EGR temp sensor (nor a second O2 sensor). The EGR temp sensor doesn't control function, it just lets you know if it isn't functioning. I don't have a CEL nor any codes in the ECU.

Both VSV's ohm'd out fine, both ~37 ohms.

The previous owner put a cold air intake, Downey headers, and a stainless free flow exhaust on the truck. I'm thinking he may have also put in an aftermarket ECU that disables smog equipment.
Mine isnt CA model either and it came with one they all do. $100 says the PO took it out. Also my sensor was giving me a CEL and the valve itself was fine, clean and moved smoothly.

Read the fsm, the temp sensor opens the vsv which allows vacuum to go to the egr thereby opening the valve and recycling some exhaust gas(nox) to reduce HC emissions and lower engine temps. The egr doesnt even function until you are at operating temps or above and it also is closed at idle. At least thats what mine says and with mine out I get no vacuum on the lines to the egr. Glad to hear you passed though. Another yota on the road is always a good thing.

Here it is straight out of the manual:
At low engine temps, The VSV and EGR valves are shut and the exhaust gas is not being recirculated. At higher engine temps, the VSV opens. When the throttle valve is pivoted open enough to expose the EGR port, and the pressure in the EGR valve is low, the pressure increases closing the modulator and causing the EGR valve to open. The pressure then drops, reopening the modulator and closing the EGR valve, cutting off exhaust gas recirculation. The VSV's and VTV, where incorporated, serve the EGR system in different ways accoring to coolant temps, exhaust gas pressure, and ignition switch position.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by js9924
Mine isnt CA model either and it came with one they all do. $100 says the PO took it out. Also my sensor was giving me a CEL and the valve itself was fine, clean and moved smoothly.

Read the fsm, the temp sensor opens the vsv which allows vacuum to go to the egr thereby opening the valve and recycling some exhaust gas(nox) to reduce HC emissions and lower engine temps. The egr doesnt even function until you are at operating temps or above and it also is closed at idle. At least thats what mine says and with mine out I get no vacuum on the lines to the egr. Glad to hear you passed though. Another yota on the road is always a good thing.
No. Not all trucks came with the temp sensor.
My truck did NOT come with one and I have NO problem passing smog.

In the future, if you havnt, up your tire psi to around 45.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:33 PM
BT

What I got from the reading is that the engine coolant temp sensor is what tells the VSV to open. As far as I can tell, the egr temp sensor is only to let you know when your EGR system isn't functioning properly.

I really don't think my truck came with an EGR temp sensor. It would seem like a strange thing to remove. But I do suspect the ECU in my truck is after market. Both VSV's being bad even though they check out fine according to the FSM seems like a stretch to me. Maybe someday I'll look at the ECU to see if it has a logo of some after market company on it.

Again, thank you to everyone who commented. A little direction helps when I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure your car is warm when testing, like make sure they test it right after you pull up after driving it hard. That'll usually knock between 20 and 250 off NOx(I think it's that one, maybe HC). Also, have you noticed any difference after the Seafoam? Maybe that didn't help your smog results.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:22 PM
BT

I seafoamed it twice and didn't notice anything except a big cloud of smoke from the tail pipe when I poured it in. But my heads were redone ~25k ago, so there probably wasn't a lot of build up.