Electrical stupidity - need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 AM
JPV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical stupidity - need help.

Hello,

My truck is an 88 toyota pickup 2wd.

Made a pretty big mistake and need some help. My battery tray was deteriorated, so I pulled the battery and made a new tray. Then I proceeded to hook up the battery backwards and blew the 80a fuse in the fuse box in engine compartment.

Then the real problem, I pulled out the 80a fuse panel and proceeded to take the wires off underneath the 80a fuse. Problem was that I didn't disconnect the backwards battery and I ended up having the wires touch, basically bypassing the 80a fuse with the battery hooked up backwards.

I then discovered the battery issue and switched the battery terminals. Now I have bypassed the 80a fuse and the truck starts and runs - the problem is that I must have fried something because the truck dies as soon as I let off the throttle and the truck is going slow. It seems to start fine and goes down the road, but runs rougher and dies whenever RPMs are low - basically it won't idle, but will run when gas peddle is pressed. It starts back up and allows me to drive again, but dies at the next stop/idle.

So I fried something when I initially bypassed the 80a fuse with battery hooked up backwards. But what? Does anyone have any ideas on where to start? Any help is highly appreciated! Not sure where to start...was running fine before this.

Thanks

Last edited by JPV; 07-30-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: include year of vehicle/more about driving
Old 07-30-2013, 11:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Now based on your facts that it dies when the rpm`s drop

Well for some reason the ECU is not getting enough voltage once the rpm drops and the alternator is not putting out as much as the higher rpm

Something is open . Could be burnt wires could be a blown (open) Fuse

A ground cable could be to the point it does not conduct voltage.

Your just going to need a Multimeter if you don`t have one now is a good time

** Just a guess given the facts!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:16 PM

Get a schematic and start testing.

You can create a huge multitude of problems by hooking up the battery backwards. I'm not understanding why you decided to pull the wires to the 80amp fuse. Just being curious...

Once you get the problem solved, be sure to mark up and secure your cables so it's impossible to hook it up backwards.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:49 PM
JPV

Why? Because that fuse doesn't seem to come off it's fuse block and it seemed like maybe it was one piece. So I thought it was one piece and I was going to take the wires off and get a new one and re-attach. What can I say, it was a morning of utter stupidity (in a hurry and my mind on something else)

Anyway - based on my actions and the symptoms of the truck running, does anyone have a good idea of where to start the troubleshooting?

I do have a fluke multimeter.

Thanks for all feedback.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would check all fuses first. You may have blown other fuses as well. Who knows? Maybe that will solve it.

If not, you're going to want to also check the sensors (as well as wiring, I'd do sensors first though) using your multimeter. I'd start with the Throttle Position Sensor, since it controls the "idle" circuits to the ECU. If it's busted, the truck won't "idle", only run the engine at a very low RPMs.