Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electric fan option's opinion's needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Electric fan option's opinion's needed

First off if you have not seen my build on my 22re let me give you a quick run down on this fan

16" Electric fan
Air flow 2500 cfm
150-240 degree adjustable turn on point

Now here's where I need an opinion or 3

I 'am trying to figure out if I put the shroud back on if it will help out in the cooling or not , the way it sit's on the fan I think not but maybe it will even though it does not cover the whole fan really it barley cover's any of the fan but that little bit may be just enough to cirqulate a little bit of air helping to cool.

So here's the pic's maybe someone here can can shed a light on it I am not seeing?

WITH SHROUD

WITH OUT SHROUD

Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me that cover seems like a waste of time. If you look at the bottom right corner it seems like you would be restricting the movement of air by a bit.

May I suggest making your own? Shouldn't be too hard.

I'm sure you could probably use some sheet metal to achieve this.

Also, If you do leave it off it would leave a little extra room when working on your truck.

The black magic fan that I have on my truck sits the same way yours does without the cover and cools perfectly.

Another thing I just noticed that shroud isn't really going to do anything but get in the way. If you think about it the fan is going to pull in air only where it is mounted. If you had that shroud on it would not pull in air from the top which is what I think you are thinking. That shroud was made for the stock fan which mounts farther back and would pull the air in from all directions. The shroud was designed to help the fan pull in air on a focused area and achieves this by the way it sits. Get what i'm saying?

The shroud is a waste of time. Toss it!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 93YotaGuy
To me that cover seems like a waste of time. If you look at the bottom right corner it seems like you would be restricting the movement of air by a bit.

May I suggest making your own? Shouldn't be too hard.

I'm sure you could probably use some sheet metal to achieve this.

Also, If you do leave it off it would leave a little extra room when working on your truck.

The black magic fan that I have on my truck sits the same way yours does without the cover and cools perfectly.

Another thing I just noticed that shroud isn't really going to do anything but get in the way. If you think about it the fan is going to pull in air only where it is mounted. If you had that shroud on it would not pull in air from the top which is what I think you are thinking. That shroud was made for the stock fan which mounts farther back and would pull the air in from all directions. The shroud was designed to help the fan pull in air on a focused area and achieves this by the way it sits. Get what i'm saying?

The shroud is a waste of time. Toss it!
Yea I think we are thinking along the same lines but thought that maybe I was thinking like a fool and needed the extra air capture area because all my life I have heard that without a shroud the fan will not cool enough.

Any I moved the fan over as far as I could to fit the opening better and it still looks like little to no real advantage to the shroud but again there's that programed thought that with out the shroud it won't cool enough and I can't get my brain to wrap around the idea that it is true with a fan set up to run off the motor and not when it really only needs to cool.

Here's the look with the fan moved over a couple inches to fit the shroud better.

Last edited by olharleyman; 07-28-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Well I went back to the no shroud way again I figure 2500 cfm should over come the no shroud part anyway so now as soon as I get this thing back together I just need to let it run till it gets hot and the thermostat opens and set the temp for turning on and off.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:55 AM

Yeah the shroud looks much better after moving the fan but it is still pointless. I'm sure it will cool fine. Let me know how it goes!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I like your idea of fitting the fan in a spot close to the center of the shroud. I would go that route. However, I would run it without the shroud, centered and see how it runs. After a little while swap in the shroud with the fan recentered to it and see if there's a difference. Really you'd have nothing to loose, and I'd think that worse case it might run hotter with the shroud(but I doubt that).

My $.02
Old 07-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your flex a lite has it's own shroud. The factory shroud will be strictly cosmetic if you add it in there. If anything it will restrict air flow around the fan when cruising the highway
Old 07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
There's really not much of a shroud there, it's looks more like a safety fence...
Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well the purpose of a shroud is to enclose the ends of the fan blades so they push air through the rad instead of out around the fan. Going another 6" past the blades with a shroud wont be beneficial imo
Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
With the electric fan the stock fan shroud is pointless and would just be in the way, there is just no need for it because the electric fan has its own shroud.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should mount the fan so it is centered in the shroud opening. I have a 1983 4x4 and I mounted my fan centered in my shroud. The purpose of the shroud is to "Funnel" the air into the fan and to ensure air flow is moving across the entire radiator surface area. In addition the shroud opening is usually centelined on the engine, this directs the airflow over the engine. I use electric fans on all of my street rods, customs, etc. and there is a shroud installed on each one. I have never had any overheating problems with any of my cars.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by suncomb1
... The purpose of the shroud is to "Funnel" the air into the fan and to ensure air flow is moving across the entire radiator surface area...
Ding ding ding...we have a winner.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:38 AM

I'm new at this. Going to an electric fan seems like a good idea to save some engine power.i have a 94 SR5 4x4 3.0.

Is it pretty simple to wire the fan in? Where is a good place to get one from. I have search for a thread on this and haven't found one. If there is more info on here or on the web could someone please point me to it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Wes94
I have search for a thread on this and haven't found one. If there is more info on here or on the web could someone please point me to it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Really, because there is a ton of info on e-fans here. Maybe you need help with how to search.

Here's one of my favorites, but the OP took his pics down (some falling out thing) Page 3 or 4 has a lot of my setup.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/e...stalled-61008/
Old 07-29-2009, 06:57 AM

Thanks, this is great.

I prob do need to figure the search out better. I'll try harder next time.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:05 AM

I run an electric on mine simialr to yours, without the fan shroud. I have NO cooling problems and I just dropped in a 190hp, 210 torque 3VZE motor with headers & single flowmaster. Never get over half way on my gage (its been checked and rechecked). My only problem for anyones comment is: My A/C will not work properly! Keeps building to much head pressure & blowing valves. Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even though your temperature gauge is reading normal the temperature sensor for the A/C may not be. Also check if your A/C amplifier is working properly. I run a 2 speed electric fan so that when the A/C comes on I move alot more air over the A/C condensor. I lived in Orlando for many years, you need the A/C.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Opreds98
Never get over half way on my gage (its been checked and rechecked)...
That's good, but all it really means is your coolant temp hasn't gone over 235-240 deg F which is where the factory gauge will start to move up from midway.

Might try a pusher fan in front of the AC condensor.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 AM

Thanks
Old 08-01-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
If you wheel at low speeds you may want to look at a small secondary fan for the power steering. This was an issue before my e-fan grenaded, so put a three position switch so as to have an always on just got tired of hearing the fan run.

Let me know how you like that fan after you've had it a while.

Quick Reply: Electric fan option's opinion's needed