Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EGR Fake

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hells yeah im down yeah i just got the marlin crawler bumper on about 4 days ago with some 10" travel Bilstein 5125's anyway what happened with your rig bro?? Glad to hear you got it back
Old 05-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dang man. sounds like your drivin a pretty tight 4runner. My headgasket blew around september of last year. I got it back about january, drove it for about 2 weeks and then it just messed up one morning. My mechanic called me at 6 today and I was there at 6:15 to pick it up. I'm going back tomorrow to finish paying him and to ask what exactly was it that was wrong.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:03 PM

dang my hg according to the dealership was done at 42K prolly way before it blew i hope i don't have to deal with that if i do its time for a 3.4 or the Lexus V8 swap but hopefully i don't have to resort to all that work...anyway glad you have it back i would go INSANE not having my truck for that long
Old 06-06-2007, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know much about EGR valves but I think mine is not working properly because at idle if I unplug the EGR wires it runs exactly the same as it does with the wires plugged in. Also, I think my EGR isn't working right based on some symptoms somebody listed in a thread about a month ago. How do you know if its working right or not, and what is the best fix if its not? Does it make sense to just remove it? What do you do, make a block off plate and simply solder a resistor in?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:10 PM

I have successfully removed the EGR system. I simply stuck 4 pennies in the header bung and put the compression connector back on over the pennies to block off the header outlet and then cut a piece of aluminum and drilled holes in it to block off where the EGR goes into the plenum, and blocked off the vacuum hoses with rubber stops. I have yet to place the resistor. It seems to run better, but from what I understand you can't use throttle body cleaner anymore to clean the throttle body without the egr system in place...somebody correct me if I'm wrong?
Also the plenum has black gunk in it where the egr hooked up, so I'm thinking I may pull the intake plenum off sometime soon and clean it. I've had a weird problem with my engine stumbling every once in a while and making a popping sound from the engine bay while driving down the road, and then I smell fresh oil in the cab????wierd I know...anybody got any ideas what this could be from? My mechanic friend told me the culprit could be my pcv valve is getting clogged up...
Sorry for the long post, but hopefully somebody with more experience than me can give me a clue as to what could be wrong based on what I said.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:56 PM

I just took the NC State Inspection class last fall. 95 and older cars get a safety and a tampering check. Technically, as long as the emissions equipment is there and LOOKS to be in working order, it passes. They don't necessarily check to see if it works. So a gutted cat, because it appears to be working, will pass. EGR system, if its there and appears to be working it passes. Same applies to all your usual under hood emissions items.

96 and newer vehicles get the same as above, plus they scan to make sure your not throwing any codes, etc.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:21 PM

Thanks for alerting me to Nazi Country's emissions testing laws. We don't have it here, so if I just stay away from NC I'm in the clear. If I ever need to pass an emissions test I'll bolt it back on and then take it off again. If anybody wants to send me an electronic check for $190 so I can buy a new EGR valve...I'd be more than happy to put a new one back on. I have two cats on my rig and they work great (not gutted). Don't give me the baloney about saving the environment. If anybody wants to save the environment you should revolt against your government because its the biggest cause of pollution there is in North America. WASTE WASTE WASTE is all our government does. Then they tell us to put garbage on our rigs that actually harms the environment by causing us to burn twice as much gas as we would without it on. As you can probably tell... I don't believe the liberal news media.

Vote Ron Paul to limit government!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:23 PM

tzonni: I don't aim this at you, I'm just fed up with a few things and people blindly believing what they are told.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by displacedAlaskan
tzonni: I don't aim this at you, I'm just fed up with a few things and people blindly believing what they are told.
I'm not really understanding what your getting at. But if you are saying that my info is wrong, I was pulling that straight out of the the textbook that I still have on the shelf next to me. So that really is no false statement.

Once again, as long as all the emissions equipment that came on the car is there and appears to be in working order, it passes the tampering check.