Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Egr

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got to get the KS fixed to get any real performance gains, the bad wiring harnass has the engine in failsafe... sucks
Old 02-10-2007, 01:17 PM

You guys got me curious with this thread. So today I cut off the pipe and plugged 'er up. I'll be damned, it has a noticeable power increase on the highway. Feels a little smoother too. Thanks for the motivation!
Old 02-10-2007, 01:36 PM

did you just plug the entrance into the plenum or did you plug the vacuum hose into the egr unit too?
Old 02-10-2007, 01:37 PM

I plugged the entrance to the plenum.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
I plugged the entrance to the plenum.
Now you have my interest, how did you plug it, with what.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:17 PM

As advantageous to do on the 22re as the 3vze?And could use a little more information on how to remove that. Just unbolt everthing that touches the egr valve or...?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by JEBSR5
how did you plug it, with what.
A quarter.

Don't laugh... I wanted to make sure it was worthwhile, before I made a decent block-off plate. I used some muffler-mender goop to gasket the quarter to the egr side. It sealed up just fine with the original egr gasket on the plenum side. It works well enough that I actually might keep the quarter in there.

I think this mod might be more effective at high elevation. I live at 5k. So my EGR probably hurts my engine much more than it would if I was at sea level. I need all the air I can get up here.

It's also worth mentioning that I think my EGR valve might have been stuck open. I've had a slight exhaust leak on my header where the EGR connects. I've sealed it up with that muffler-mender stuff. Today during my test drive, all that mender stuff got blown off. Obviously, there is way more pressure in that area now..... I'm sure I can find some loose change to plug that part up too.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You guys got me curious with this thread. So today I cut off the pipe and plugged 'er up. I'll be damned, it has a noticeable power increase on the highway. Feels a little smoother too. Thanks for the motivation!
COOL BEANS, I been waitin' ta hear that, brotha! Me not so dippy hippy afterall, huh?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:23 PM

A quarter.

Don't laugh... I wanted to make sure it was worthwhile, before I made a decent block-off plate. I used some muffler-mender goop to gasket the quarter to the egr side. It sealed up just fine with the original egr gasket on the plenum side. It works well enough that I actually might keep the quarter in there.

I think this mod might be more effective at high elevation. I live at 5k. So my EGR probably hurts my engine much more than it would if I was at sea level. I need all the air I can get up here.

It's also worth mentioning that I think my EGR valve might have been stuck open. I've had a slight exhaust leak on my header where the EGR connects. I've sealed it up with that muffler-mender stuff. Today during my test drive, all that mender stuff got blown off. Obviously, there is way more pressure in that area now..... I'm sure I can find some loose change to plug that part up too.
A Quarter! New meaning to money well spent.
I have mine unplugged now since it causes a hesitation, now have incentive to cut off and block it off.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampThing
As advantageous to do on the 22re as the 3vze?And could use a little more information on how to remove that. Just unbolt everthing that touches the egr valve or...?
I don't know how on 22re, but you bet, works on any engine with one.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-10-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:10 PM

EGR Code 71

whoops didn't mean to do that
Old 07-16-2007, 07:44 PM

so you are just cutting the egr tube right behind the flange and placing a quarter or plate behind it? and you are leaving all of the sensors and vac lines hooked up?
I may give this a shot, but is there an alternative that does not involve cutting the tubing? also , there is a thing that looks similar to the egr valve that is a bit lower and towards the back of my engine, 3.0 1995, what is this thing?

I don't want to go hacking up parts and then decide for some stupid reason that I need to put it back to original....
Old 07-16-2007, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by comp-time
so you are just cutting the egr tube right behind the flange and placing a quarter or plate behind it? and you are leaving all of the sensors and vac lines hooked up?
I may give this a shot, but is there an alternative that does not involve cutting the tubing? also , there is a thing that looks similar to the egr valve that is a bit lower and towards the back of my engine, 3.0 1995, what is this thing?

I don't want to go hacking up parts and then decide for some stupid reason that I need to put it back to original....

The one you are talking about is call the reed valve, Are you having the code 71? If so you don't need to hacksaw the tube out, all you have to do is place a 1k ohm sensor thing to the wire that come out of from the wire harness to the egr system then plug the top valve that come out of it and also plug the other side that it connect to it. So that is to cured for that problem. If you need a picture of it I can upload it.

Last edited by Guardian_Saint; 07-16-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
All anyone has to do to to block the EGR.....especially if they think they may want to hook it back up later....is put a small ball bearing in the vacuum tube that opens the valve. It stays shut and your good to go.

Swampthing...
I blocked the EGR in my '86 22re. Not because it wasn't functioning, but because when I removed it to clean the intake the threads on the hard line stripped out. So, I had to in that moment and has stayed that way since. I don't recall exactly how I did it(pretty sure I used a quarter on the intake and put a bb in the vacuum tube), but I could look at it tomorrow. Can't say whether or not it improved anything because I also cleaned the intake and did a tune up. I can say it hasn't hurt. I also noticed the exhaust fumes were a tad stronger. Blah!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:58 PM

So would there be any advantages to cutting the hose as apposed to just unplugging the vacuum line??
Old 10-11-2007, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
COOL BEANS, I been waitin' ta hear that, brotha! Me not so dippy hippy afterall, huh?
LOL , Dippy Hippy
Old 11-26-2007, 03:02 PM

I just unplugged the hose on the TOP of the EGR, then plugged the hose I just undid, is that the way some of you did it? I did it and think it runs better. But I am in Georgia, so I don't even have to entertain the thought of Emissions....haha, we laugh at that. I could show it to a cop and he would laugh at me.
But anyways. Is that good enough? I got a 3VZE V6. ????
Old 11-28-2007, 09:59 AM

Can u just block this tube?

Instead of cutting this tube can u just plug it with regular brass stopper from pluming store. It is 3/4 of the inch so size is perfect?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:57 PM

can i get some pics of this cuz i would be very interested even if i live in cali.

Has anyone try removing all the vaccum lines since the 3vz-e has so many of them and to see what it does? cuz i was pondering on this for a while now!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Egr

I just tried this trick the other day on my 91 V6. There seem to be so many versions out there that everyone has tried. Here's how I (we) did it, any feed back is appreciated:
Instead of cutting, we just completely removed the entire EGR system. Then my friend traced the gaskets and fabricated some aluminum plates. We then replaced the original gaskets along with the aluminum plates over it and then bolted them back on. We then plugged the top vacuum hose with a wooden dowel. We did the same with the lower hose but used a larger dowel. The dowels worked perfect! So now, everything is plugged. The only thing I have left to do is, with advice from what we heard here, connect a 10 ohm resistor to the EGR sensor wire. Not too sure how though. Question: Do I just simply insert one end of the wire into one side of the coupling and then bend the resistor and place the other end into the other side of the coupling??
So far, I have had NO prob's. Seems to be running GREAAAT! My next test is calculate my MPG's and see if I have made out good.

Quick Reply: Egr