Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

EFI fuse keeps blowing, possibly snow related?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI fuse keeps blowing, possibly snow related?

So this morning drove to school fine, as I was parking it died suddenly. Thought I just stalled it. Going home it wouldnt start so I checked the fuses, EFI fuse blown. Replace it, truck starts and runs until I start driving, fuse blows. Replace again, runs until I start driving.

I recently did an engine swap so I think something somwhere is shorting, but what could it be? I think it has to do with the snow storm we're having. The only thing I can think of is a sensor connector near the transfer case/drive shaft thats hanging really low after the swap, corrosion on the inside. Disconnected it and it still blew the fuse.

22re with a manual transmission. Any ideas? I dont want to be out in the snow figuring this thing out all night. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 PM

I had the same problem when conditions were wet. It was a short in the wires under that plastic cover that leads to the fuse box. Hope that helps.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by joshua
So this morning drove to school fine, as I was parking it died suddenly. Thought I just stalled it. Going home it wouldnt start so I checked the fuses, EFI fuse blown. Replace it, truck starts and runs until I start driving, fuse blows. Replace again, runs until I start driving.

I recently did an engine swap so I think something somwhere is shorting, but what could it be? I think it has to do with the snow storm we're having. The only thing I can think of is a sensor connector near the transfer case/drive shaft thats hanging really low after the swap, corrosion on the inside. Disconnected it and it still blew the fuse.

22re with a manual transmission. Any ideas? I dont want to be out in the snow figuring this thing out all night. Thanks in advance.
Common problem is the O2 sensor wiring touching the exhaust, check that. Exhaust heats up when you drive, melting the wire insulation and the wires touch and pop goes the fuse.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:43 PM

alright thanks guys. this is gonna suck.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:44 PM

yup, o2 sensor. i put the wiring in incorrectly during my engine swap, drive shaft rubbed a hole in it.

thanks guys.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by dj86515
I had the same problem when conditions were wet. It was a short in the wires under that plastic cover that leads to the fuse box. Hope that helps.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I blew the 15A EFI fuse today after it rained all night and all morning yesterday.

I started to open the plastic cover on the wiring harness that feeds into the engine bay fuse box. Put another fuse in and got it to run. Started slowly putting it back together with the engine running and when I was close to finishing the EFI fuse blew again - leading me to believe that it is a short in that part of the harness. I did notice some water had leaked into that area overnight.

I hate electrical demons. What's the next step? Take the cover fully off cut open the harness and look for shorts?

dj86515 - what wire went bad for you?
Old 08-03-2015, 03:17 PM

Thankfully I was able to figure this one out pretty quick.

The branch that comes off of the main harness and goes to the diagnostic plug runs right against the fender and a wire had shorted there. Luckily it just melted the insulation so I'll put some more on the wire and then wrap it sufficiently.