Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

dual tcase info

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual tcase info

ive been researching and looking at my options for doing dual cases in my 86 xcab. I already have the tcases (top shift) and basically I need to know what you guys feel is the smoothest quickest route to a legit setup. I don't want to order something and it be junk or not exactly what I need/want. ive read so many listings on what people have bought. Is marlin a good place to start with buying the adapter and getting my linkages for the shifter?>
Old 05-27-2014, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
marlin is the stuff you want. Their webpage has a fourm as well which has some good question. If you have 2 top shift cases you shouldn't need any shift linkage unless your going to a triple stick.

Don't forget the 6.5 inch drive shaft length change.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So basically I should be able to order the marlin adapter kit and that will be what I need? I know I'll prob need a speedo extended cable and yes the driveshafts length changes. But if I don't have to use the linkage like u say will it just be the second tcase stick set back further and I'll have to remove my center console?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:57 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
i think that tunnel designs came from the factory, matched to the top shift vs. forward shift situations... in other words, there are forward shift tunnels, and then there are top shift tunnels, and i have no idea which is which, or how much floorboard cutting you'll have to do.

the p.o. of my 4runner hacked it up pretty badly, i've had to use sheet metal screws and aluminum sheet metal to cover up the holes.

the advantage with dual sticks is that you can run all the gears in 2wd, which is actually very handy, but the sticks are located back in the tunnel.

triple stick is probably the way to go, because it moves the shifters forward, which would allow you the most room for a console.

davez has a triple stick setup, fwiw... i used the trail gear dual stick, and i had to do a bit of tweaking on the transfer case to make it work.

pics of both dual and triple stick setups:
https://www.google.com/search?newwin....0.mBENvqSvIv0
Old 05-27-2014, 02:07 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
something to watch out for... if you rotated the rear end up, so that the flanges that the rear driveshaft bolts to are not parallel, you'll have to run a cv joint in the rear axle, at the transfer case end.

if you ignore this, you'll almost certainly get driveshaft vibration on deceleration.

most driveshaft companies don't have a clue about toyota stuff, they'll try and sell you v-8 based u-joints that aren't as strong as the toyota u-joints... what you want is to find something like a front cv joint from a later model 4runner, then just have that driveshaft lengthened, to use in back.

you may have to clearance the rear frame support, putting a cv behind dual cases is really long.