86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

driveshaft wobble/vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driveshaft wobble/vibrations

So I've got a bit of a problem here. My '95 4Runner, 4x4, auto, 3.0, has weird vibrations?( 12 year old vehicle, whooda thought, right?) But really, its getting to be a problem.

This is a pulsing vibration that seems to move from the rear end forward in a steady pulse that increases with speed. I just had it into the shop, where I had the rear U-joints replaced. The mechanic there (who i do know and trust) says I have too much play where the shaft comes out of the tranny and connects to the drive shaft....or something. He was telling me what was going on, but lost me along the way. I've searched all over this site and others, and am looking at my Chilton manual, but cant for the life of me figure out what he was talking about. When he first got it, he was able to move this mystery piece about 2 inches. He tightened it as much as he could, and now there is about an inch of travel.

So heres the question. Any idea what he is talking about? I am pretty mechanically savvy, but I just did not follow... Also, what do I do about it, other than a replacement?

I know that was long and rambling, but I've gone brain dead researching this. Thanks all!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 PM

oh yea

and its got 216k miles with an unknown service history
Old 11-14-2007, 04:59 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Go back to the mechanic and ask him to show you what he means. Did this trusted mechanic not offer a cost and description on how to fix the problem?

Sounds like a rear output shaft or bearing from your rudimentary description which will be $$$ I bet to have done.

215k on the clock stuff is going to need replacing if you are going to keep the truck.

Get a F S M and work on it yourself as the Haynes and Chiltons are a poor substitute at best.

Good luck.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:57 AM

Sounds odd what you are saying. If you have that kind of play (1") on the output shaft then the whole case would be pouring oil all over and it would not drive anywhere. He may be talking about the slip yoke on the drive shaft. You will have to get some better details about what he said.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:12 AM

My driveshaft came off doing about 80mph ,It made my 88 jump in to the air a little. It had "wobbled" then it sheared the bolts and fell off or the out put shaft on the trans case,moral of the story,that weird vibration could cost you your life,because the drive shaft make lots of sparks and is WAY too close to the gas tank! Take it to a drive line shop if all else fells.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 AM

i'll get the info

Wow, thanks for all the replys so quickly.

I'll call the shop and find out exactly what it was that he was talking about. An yea, my mechanic did quote me a price, but his is more of a tire and service shop and he would have refered me to a tranny guy if/when I got it worked on.

I'll update this later tonight after I have a chance to talk with the mechanic.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
get under there and wiggle the whole driveline. you'll be able to tell if/where it has any play, and then can give us a description of where it is, or even better take some pics.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:16 PM

Loudboy,

My '95 4x4 is having the same issue (217k miles on the odo), but no shifting of pulse from rear to front. It's coming from the front. I just came from the shop that looked at my truck. There's definitely play coming from the ends that goes into the tranny from both the front and rear driveshafts when they mechanic tried tugging on both the driveshafts. I can see the play, not sure by how much but its visible. No pouring fluid from the tranny when he tugged on them which leads me to believe that it could be the slip yoke or the u-joints. Can someone confirm this?? Thanks.