86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driveshaft diffrent..

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driveshaft diffrent..

Is there any diffrent lenght of the driveshaft from a toyota pickup 4x4 and a toyota 4runner? I am diong a transmission swap over to a 5 speed manuel, my automatic seem to be longer than my manuel transmission, do I also need the toyota pickup 4x4 5 speed driveshaft? will that fit perfectly? or do I have to buy it from other resource that offer driveshaft? If you guy's know any website that offer any lenght of the driveshaft pls list it here or pm me, thanks alot.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
It depends mostly on the length of the wheelbase. Short bed pickups being the same as 4Runners. The other issue would be transmissions, driveshafts for manuals and automatics usually differ in length. Also, 4 cylinder and Turbo/V6 versions are not compatible, different bolt patterns(Though you can drill new holes or swap the matching companion flange(s) from the donor pickups transfer case and/or 3rd member to make it work). The Turbo/V6 shafts are more robust, this is, IMO and experience (hence my need for replacement, and my expansive knowledge of, Toyota 4wd driveshafts), the downside; wider=closer to the ground and objects that can damage the shaft, they're also more prone to the "driveshaft scrape the gas tank syndrome", many of us know all too well. And considering that the u-joints(the weak link in a 1-peice driveshaft)for the 4 cylinder type are the same used in the V6, both style driveshafts are equally as strong.

If you can get the driveshaft from the manual pickup, and it's the same wheelbase(short bed), same engine(for ease of installation, no drilling/swapping companion flanges ), and your using the same transfer case the donor pickup's transmission was mated to at the factory, you'll be set. If not, now you know what type of pickup would have the driveshaft your looking for(a short bed, V6, with the same transmission/transfer case combo that your using). Of course, if you can find a 4Runner with the same setup your using, it will have the shaft you need too.

Searching google you can find some places that will sell you one new. These are not going to be cheap. I have found http://car-part.com to be the best source for used. I haven't had any problems with the 2 that I've purchased from dealers on that site. Even if you bought one and had it over-hauled, new u-joints/straightened/rebalanced, if it needed(both mine were in great condition, didn't even need u-joints), it would probably be way cheaper than a new one. Toyota will charge you AN ARM and A LEG, or an equal sum of $.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-28-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:06 AM
WFO

My auto driveshafts worked fine when I switched over to the manual
Old 05-29-2007, 07:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One other option to cosnider is to have a drive shaft shop re-tube your existing drive shaft (i.e. make it longer or shorter as necessary).

Driveshaft shops are around manjor interstates and typically deal with "big rigs" but cna do all kinds of stuff that I would have never know about
Old 05-29-2007, 08:10 AM

Another idea is to get a hold of front d-shaft and have d-shaft shop lengthen it. You will also need the output flange from the front output of transfercase....or get one from Marlin. The front d-shaft is smaller but not in strength. (I've used it for the rear for a while now.) It's also has double cardan joint so you won't have any vibration issue if you plan to lift it more than 3-4 in. later on.

http://home.earthlink.net/~audiorat1/images/dshaft/
Old 05-29-2007, 08:56 AM

The machine shops around here will build 1 for people usally around a 100 to 150 bucks, using your yolks.. Ive had several built.. as soon as i have swing bearing trouble i will have 1 made for the yota
Old 05-29-2007, 09:05 AM
WFO

No need. I got the driveshafts from the 4runner my manual trans came from and the only difference was the manual didnt have the double cardian joint. Same length though, front and rear.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by WFO
No need. I got the driveshafts from the 4runner my manual trans came from and the only difference was the manual didnt have the double cardian joint. Same length though, front and rear.
Are you sure this applies to all years, and with different engine or transmission transfer case combos than you swapped?

I would doubt that any 4Runner rear driveshaft is exactly the same as the next. If you doubt me, call around and ask for one and see how many questions you have to answer about the specifics of your vehicle. Odds are it will be at least YEAR?/4CYL or V6?/2WD or 4WD?/TRANSMISSION? AUTO or MANUAL?, then if they have it or not.

And to stay on topic I was refering to the driveshaft from the pickup, not another 4Runner anyway. He's already discovered the lengths are appearently different.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-29-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:09 AM
WFO

Theres only 1 trans and t-case combo that will bolt up to the 3.0, correct me if i'm wrong. R150F/VF1A

He has the same auto I had, again, only option. A340H/A340H
Old 05-29-2007, 11:18 AM

Yeah but the the transmission/transfer case is from a PICKUP not a 4RUNNER. We don't know what engine yet(granted it's most likely a V6, though not necessarily, R151F bolts up too, or he could have swapped the bellhousing from a V6 R-series to a 4cyl transmission, theoretically), or(crucially)what wheelbase. With me here? Lot's o' variables.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-29-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 AM
WFO

His sig says 3VZE and they are the same for pick-ups and 4Runners.

I agree with you about the driveshafts being different between a pickup reg cab, ex. cab, and a 4Runner.

But for just doing an auto to manual swap he can use his driveshafts.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:58 AM

Well, when he gets back to his thread here, he'll no doubt tell us why he thinks it's too long. I have no further arguement. I'm just assuming he's accurate in his estimation, and trying to help him answer his question on driveshaft compatibility w/pickups. Another thing I must add, is that I too have a 3VZE/R150F/VF1A combo. The rear driveshaft for a pickup exactly like mine except with an automatic transmission, IS NOT the same length. That's according to ALL the junkyards I've spoken to looking for mine, as well as http://car-part.com where you'll also find the same discrepency in 4Runners.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-29-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:28 PM
WFO

Im not trying to argue with you. Sorry if youre getting that impression.

Im just tryin to explain that the auto trans and t-case is the same length as the manual, therefore you do not need a different driveshaft.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:53 PM

Yeah I got it off from a 1989 toyota pickup V6 4x4 short bed. My auto measure about 5 or 6 inches longer than the 5 speed is at, the front driveshaft that goes to the front differrential is fine, just the problem to the rear flange is were the speed sensor sit in is shorter than my auto, let me post a picture later and see the diffrent from the two transmission. I haven't try this but is there a chance that I can pull the rear drive shaft out more? I go and see if I can pull it by hand.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:37 PM

OK, it seem that the rear DS can be easily pull abit out so that bassically will fit I hope, darn me didn't check for that... and the bolts pattern the same. Here is the picture I am talking about that is suspicious to me,

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...j/IMG_0001.jpg
The Automatic (A340H)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...IMG_0002-1.jpg
The 5 speed transmission

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...j/IMG_0006.jpg
Where does this goes?

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...j/IMG_0005.jpg
Does it belong here? When I left it there and bolt it back to the transfer case the shift is stuck but if I remove it, it can switch to H4 and L4 at ease. Guy gave me that spring and do not know where it goes, help is appeciated.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Their is only 1 inch difference between the driveshafts from a manual and auto 4runner. You should just get one from a 4runner, and not a pickup.

Kinda off topic - but is there any way I could get you to do a writeup about the swap. I'm gonna be doing it myself in the next month and am trying to get all the info I can get about it.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Guardian_Saint
OK, it seem that the rear DS can be easily pull abit out so that bassically will fit I hope, darn me didn't check for that... and the bolts pattern the same. Here is the picture I am talking about that is suspicious to me,

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...j/IMG_0001.jpg
The Automatic (A340H)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...IMG_0002-1.jpg
The 5 speed transmission

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...j/IMG_0006.jpg
Where does this goes?

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...j/IMG_0005.jpg
Does it belong here? When I left it there and bolt it back to the transfer case the shift is stuck but if I remove it, it can switch to H4 and L4 at ease. Guy gave me that spring and do not know where it goes, help is appeciated.
Guy on toyotanation.com was asking the same thing a few days ago. Seems nobody knows..
Old 05-29-2007, 07:06 PM

That is where that funny looking spring goes. But it must be positioned just so, or it will cause trouble shifting. I'd have to take mine apart again(please don't ask me to) to tell you how.

I wouldn't feel safe with my driveshaft pulled out 5". When your suspension extends it might be too much for the spline to accomodate, and could seperate(bad news). It also might not be enough to stabilize the driveshaft while it's spinning, vibration city.

I still say your best bet is the driveshaft from the pickup. I'll stake my reputation on it(as if anybody thinks highly of it). I'm not saying that a 4Runner shaft from either(man/auto) won't work too, just thinking the pickups might be the one readily available.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-29-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:45 PM

WFO has already finsih his swap and I am currently still working on mine so you want to talk to him, if I can make one I send it to you, but I'm not a good writup about the swap. All I can said is that I already finish installing the clutch assembly that I got it from the pick-up and you will also need to switch your brake sensor from your old brake assembly to the one that you are giong to use, and I have already made a hole through the firewall for the master clutch goes through. To make a perfect circle you will need Vermont American Part# 18502 - Bi-Metal Hole Saw Mandrel and part#18519 Bi-Metall Hole Saw - I think its a 30 or 31mm hole you willneed to make. [ I bought the wrong part# 18518 that is 29mm and have to grind it a bit bigger so you need 30 or 31mm] You can buy any other name that made these part. Right now I am currently running the 5 speed w/ the AUTO ECU and the A/T wire harness, I will make change if its not capiable to these parts that I am using. You will also need the Marlin Crawler HD transfer case mount.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:07 PM

There's a pic of that spring on this page. No good explaination how to do it, though. Oh well, you'll figure it out.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...23assembly.pdf

Quick Reply: Driveshaft diffrent..