Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

double locking

Old 05-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
double locking

I have driven with the TRD LSD for awhile and on the road its great but off road there's a lot to be desired. With all that I have read here about the lunchbox lockers I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger to upgrade.

First I'm going to be pulling the TRD LSD out and putting a LOCK RIGHT in the rear and an AUSSIE LOCKER in the front and staying with 5.29s front and rear and will be going by the directions from the manufacturers. I know that there's more then a few of you guys out there that have done similar so if there's anything that you found to make the swap more indestructible please let me know your secrets.

Also if there's anything that I need to look out for please let me know ahead of time so I can prepare for it. Any positive and negative driving issues you think I should know feel free to tell me but remember I have already bought and have the lockers so changing for a different one is probably out of the question. This is just to hold me over till I can afford to do a full sas.

Thanks guys and lady's
Old 05-30-2007, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I would first ask how long ago your gears were installed. If it was more than 50k, i'd check the bearings and possibly replace (on the rear lockright). If less, check them, but if there isn't any damage, reuse them.

Only other advice would be to go one at a time, and start with the front. You can drive the truck with the front out if you have to, and that install is going to be the easiest.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Well, I would first ask how long ago your gears were installed. If it was more than 50k, i'd check the bearings and possibly replace (on the rear lockright). If less, check them, but if there isn't any damage, reuse them.

Only other advice would be to go one at a time, and start with the front. You can drive the truck with the front out if you have to, and that install is going to be the easiest.
gears are brand new as well guess I should have said that with new install kits as well. I have a complete front without haveing been installed yet and the rear is a 3 I bought from someone so I will be doing the installs in rear ends out and still driving but once installed it will be taking out the 3rds and replacing.