Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Doors don't lock when key is turned...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doors don't lock when key is turned...

Not sure why this is...maybe the ignition switch or something. But when I used to start to the rig, the doors would lock (and unlock) automatically. That doesn't happen any longer. The auto lock works when I do it manually, but not when I turn the key.

Any ideas?

About the time this happened, the rear window stopped rolling down. When I use the button inside to actuate the rear window, the window motor 'sounds' like it's working (I can hear it clearly) and when I use the key in the tailgate, I can get the window down with assistance, but it won't go up or down by itself.

I'm selling my 2nd gen in a couple weeks and picking up my 3rd gen Dorado Gold Pearl Limited (loaded!) and I need to get these little things figured out before I put it on the market, so any help is really appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:39 AM

Mine sure doesn't do anything like that. The only thing it'll do with the ignition key is not let you lock your keys in it. And good thing - every GM rental I've ever had that did that always seemed to get confused - unlock when I start, lock when I shut it down - LOL. Talk about annoying! Are you positive yours used to do that?

The rear window is an Achilles heel on these trucks!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

haha...good old GM!

And yea, it definitely locked when I started it, the doors locked. When I turned it off and took the key out of the start position, it would unlock. It wasn't that long ago that it started not doing it, so I know it used to! I just have no idea why it stopped doing that. I thought it was pretty cool.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:59 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a factory security system? Could be on valet mode.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:10 AM

Also I guess I bought my truck when it was already really old, so maybe it's busted and I just don't know it......
Old 03-06-2007, 08:13 AM

My 2nd gen doesn't auto-lock, neither did my last one.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 3rd gen does have the auto lock feature, so I know it does exist for 3rd gens.

However, on my 2nd gen it didn't have it UNTIL I installed a Viper alarm system. Now, it does the auto-locking. My guess, a fuse is blown somewhere if you have an aftermarket alarm... that or perhaps a wire has worked its way loose?

Last edited by mastacox; 03-06-2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm not hallucinating and I haven't had a flashback in YEARS!

haha

Seriously, it used to do this...! Maybe I have the Christine of 4Runners??
Old 03-06-2007, 08:29 AM

My second gen doesn't, but my DD does. Perhaps you have just become impatient and turn the key before closing the door. With my saturd if I turn the key with the door open, it will not lock. It will if the door is closed.

Just throwing random things out there.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
Got a factory security system? Could be on valet mode.
sounds like you have some sort of programming issue. sounds like something got reset or is in valet mode. Look in your owners manual.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GregStevens
Not sure why this is...maybe the ignition switch or something. But when I used to start to the rig, the doors would lock (and unlock) automatically. That doesn't happen any longer. The auto lock works when I do it manually, but not when I turn the key.

Any ideas?

About the time this happened, the rear window stopped rolling down. When I use the button inside to actuate the rear window, the window motor 'sounds' like it's working (I can hear it clearly) and when I use the key in the tailgate, I can get the window down with assistance, but it won't go up or down by itself.

I'm selling my 2nd gen in a couple weeks and picking up my 3rd gen Dorado Gold Pearl Limited (loaded!) and I need to get these little things figured out before I put it on the market, so any help is really appreciated.

Thanks!
Are you sure your rear window is tripping the "up" sensor? Must be, as it would indicate as not closed on the dash... dunno.

I've an "autolock" sticker on my '94. While I don't know if it works fully as expected, I like the way it works.

If I lock-on with a key on the passenger side, all locks lock.

If I lock with key on the drivers side, it only opererates the driver side lock. I assume that is because we have all the lock/unlock controls on the inside door. So "normal" procedure is to open door, hit lock all switch on armrest, exit and close door.

If the keys are in the ignition, it will not let you lock the doors. And a chime tells you that, as soon as you open the driver door. If you hit the lock switch anyway, they lock fully, but within a second, they all unlock.

So the system is tied into the ignition, but not in the way you describe. They are meant to prevent locking the keys inside, and make locking convenient for the driver at the same time. Makes sense to me, so I suspect that is the way they should work.

Not much help to your problem, other than to guess that it is now not working as it should, nor was it working correctly before the new symptom. To me it makes no sense to lock all doors automatically when you start the vehicle. More often than not, you will be unlocking the doors to let others in.

And Volvo, for what it is worth, shows research that doors should NOT be locked as in many crash types it can make extracting passengers much more difficult. As I respect their work, I leave the doors locked in any place where security might be a problem, but unlocked for all other cases, while driving, particularly over 40mph, unless their are children in the back seat.

Never had an accident in 50 years of fairly heavy, aggressive driving, so I'm overdue now that I have lots of time to slow down...

Good Luck with your new vehicle.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:07 AM

For the rear window I'd start at the switch and work your way back. If it works with the key but not the button it's a button issue, not a sensor issue or window wiper issue or anything like that.

As far as slow goes, you may need a new regulator, tracks, etc - big $$$. Start with lubing the tracks with silicon spray.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by rdharper
Not much help to your problem, other than to guess that it is now not working as it should, nor was it working correctly before the new symptom. To me it makes no sense to lock all doors automatically when you start the vehicle. More often than not, you will be unlocking the doors to let others in.
Yeah, but lots of security systems and OEM cars do it. Like the GMs I mentioned. Even if they are stupid about it.....lot's of stupid things on cars these days - take for example the headlights that stay on for a few minutes after you leave the car. I had a rental (Olds Aurora) that did that - one day I got out, noticed the lights were on and didn't think anything of it. Turned out that I had actually left the switch on and drained the battery. If it wasn't "normal" I would've noticed (I DID notice gosh darnit!) and turned them off!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I just checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes...all looked fine (just a visual inspection). I don't know what's happening here!

I also noodled with the rear window. The console lock switch does its job. It prevents current from getting to the rear window. With the lock not engaged, going up and down on the window switch, I can tell there is a difference in the motor sound...as if it's trying to raise or lower the window (it's a slightly different noise). I ran across a relay solution here that seems like there could be something with one of the 4(!!) relays. And oh, the rear wiper works fine, too!

I hate screwing with electricity...argh.

Any more ideas would be appreciated!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:09 AM

This may be a the problem, for this was the fix to mine. Do you have the switch on youir dome light shut off all the time? If you do, put it on the Door light. Close all the doors, if the light is still on one of your door switches is bad. Therefore when you start your truck it thinks a door is still open. And will not auto lock.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GV27
Yeah, but lots of security systems and OEM cars do it. Like the GMs I mentioned. Even if they are stupid about it.....lot's of stupid things on cars these days - take for example the headlights that stay on for a few minutes after you leave the car. I had a rental (Olds Aurora) that did that - one day I got out, noticed the lights were on and didn't think anything of it. Turned out that I had actually left the switch on and drained the battery. If it wasn't "normal" I would've noticed (I DID notice gosh darnit!) and turned them off!
Can't disagree with any of what you've said..... There is enough compute power in any of the cars designed in the last 10 years to produce better logic for all cases. Nothing more than a programming problem. The car has all the sensory information at the computer... in the case you site, the car should shut off any heavy draw when voltage gets to 12.2v where it is at risk of not starting next time you get in. It could post a warning at the dash, in case you needed the lights for some emergency more important than the next start, requiring an override. If you don't take the option, it should shut down, assuming you did not mean to continue the heavy discharge because you were half sober at the bar... for instance.

If it is daylight, the car should now it... etc etc.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stevo3
This may be a the problem, for this was the fix to mine. Do you have the switch on youir dome light shut off all the time? If you do, put it on the Door light. Close all the doors, if the light is still on one of your door switches is bad. Therefore when you start your truck it thinks a door is still open. And will not auto lock.
Good thinking Steve... and easy to check.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Yea, I see what you're saying and I tried that. All combinations of the door/overhead light. Still didn't do it. Interesting attempt though. The light went off when the door closed. I just don't get it...
Old 03-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

my 93 sr5 doesnt have the auto lock feature, never knew it was an option, go figure. any way, if there is some sort of sticker that says 'auto lock', remove it, if it starts working for the new owner, bully for them.

as for your rear window, r & r the switch to clean and lube it. then remove the motor from the gate, take it to a wrecking yard and see if you can score another motor from a corrolla. try for a rear door motor as they probably wont have been used as much. swap the plugs and reinstall the new motor and you should be good to go.

lee
Old 03-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The auto lock is aftermarket, I ripped mine out really quick, Why?, I was working on it while it was running, Jumped out and closed the door, As I walked to the front I heard the doors lock, Lucky it was warm out and I rolled the window down halfway.
I had major visions of me up in the snowy cold mountains with the heater on and jumping out to check something with no jacket on and to have that crap lock me out.
You also dont want that mistake when you leave the keys on the seat.
Dumbest thing to ever put in a 4x4.

Quick Reply: Doors don't lock when key is turned...