86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Doorless

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doorless

Hi all, I drive an 86 4runner currently with the top off. Lately I've been thinking about removing the doors to my rig. However, my parents disaprove at the moment. What are you guys thoughts about this, and any good points I could use in an argument. I've known to be a pretty persuasive person so I think this goal might be tough but not impossible!
Thanks!
Old 11-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
jeeps do it. why cant i.

lol. if you have power windows or door locks its a bigger pITA. but if you have manual everything, then its 4 bolts per side. use a 12mm speed wrench and the doors will be off in 60 seconds. putting them back on isnt any harder. running doorless can be fun. it makes spotting rocks and what not while wheeling alot easier plus it looks and feels f'in cool.. just be prepaired for more dust, mud, branches, leaves, etc. to be anywhere and everywhere in your truck.

this was from this summer. the truck looks real small in the pic for some reason. (maybe it was because its was post sas and rear leaf conversion.)

this is my buddys also from the same weekend.

Last edited by Tofer; 11-18-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Dude Chris...you shouldn't be posting pics of your truck pre-SAS, it's just kind of scary to see the difference between now and then, wow...just wow.

As far as your problem Peanut, are your parents with you when you off-road? 'Nuff said.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Dude Chris...you shouldn't be posting pics of your truck pre-SAS, it's just kind of scary to see the difference between now and then, wow...just wow.

As far as your problem Peanut, are your parents with you when you off-road? 'Nuff said.
Now I'm only 17 and have the same types of issues with my parents, but how would you feel if you had a kid who went behind your back and did something when you told em not to?
Old 11-18-2006, 12:37 PM

yeah i got beat when i auto-x'd my first car and didnt tell my parents. had to forge the waiver as i was under 18. luckily i didnt have any problems, but they got mad when pictures showed up and tire wear was really really bad. now am about to be 22, and i tell them when i do stuff to the truck that is big, and usually my dad helps if i work on it at their house.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:41 PM

Im only 17 as well and that is generally one of those things that they dont like (doing something they told you not to). However it is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission....but i guess its too late in your case.
Tell them that the doors don't add any protection anyway, and you be able to more quickly in the event of an emergency! Tell them you'll be wearing your seat belt too...

Sorry for the hijack....but i have power crap in my doors, could i just cut the wires and put in some quick connectors or something? Do you guys think there will be enough room for that?
Old 11-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

I'm 19...
I have to run every little detail about what happens to My Runner by my mom...
Which usually consists of a 5 page paper about how it is done, and what effects it will have on the Runner in short and long term run...
But at least it gets done and I don't have to worry about mom scolding me and me having to undo what I did if I can...
The only time I ask for forgivness is if it is something that has to be reported to the insurance company.....

When I was 12 I was ridin around in a Jeep with the Doors Off...
Mom was fine with it...
As long as you got your seatbelt on and your a little extra careful you should be set!!!

Originally Posted by punkotheclown
Sorry for the hijack....but i have power crap in my doors, could i just cut the wires and put in some quick connectors or something? Do you guys think there will be enough room for that?
I was curious about this as well...
I was also curious, has anyone also takent he back doors off?
I see only the front doors off in most of the pics...
Old 11-18-2006, 01:06 PM

I think running without the doors is great, but I would check your local state laws just to make sure you don't get hassled about it. The last thing you want to do is convince the parents, then get a ticket for it. The ol' "I told you so" would come into play afterwards, and nobdy wants to deal with that.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bruzer
I think running without the doors is great, but I would check your local state laws just to make sure you don't get hassled about it. The last thing you want to do is convince the parents, then get a ticket for it. The ol' "I told you so" would come into play afterwards, and nobdy wants to deal with that.
LOL!!!!
I hate when they pull the "I Told You So..."
Old 11-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

I'm 19...
I have to run every little detail about what happens to My Runner by my mom...
Which usually consists of a 5 page paper about how it is done, and what effects it will have on the Runner in short and long term run...
But at least it gets done and I don't have to worry about mom scolding me and me having to undo what I did if I can...
The only time I ask for forgivness is if it is something that has to be reported to the insurance company
sounds to me like you got a mom that cares, that loves you, and wants nothing bad to happen to you, sounds like she wants to be a part of your life, now that your growing up, she seems like a good mom.
Back on topic:
PeanutRanger, have thought about tube doors ? do a search, you will find a company making them, that might help her feel better
Old 11-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ric
sounds to me like you got a mom that cares, that loves you, and wants nothing bad to happen to you, sounds like she wants to be a part of your life, now that your growing up, she seems like a good mom.
Back on topic:
PeanutRanger, have thought about tube doors ? do a search, you will find a company making them, that might help her feel better
Yeah that she does...
I guess she is making up for lost time that her job takes away from her...
(she is a Asstiant VP and she still works on average about 18+ hours a day...)
Kills me to see her do that...

Back to topic...
Tube door Eh?
I might look into that me self...
Old 11-18-2006, 01:20 PM

Yes....Parents tottaly approve of tube door, however i don't have the money right now beacuse i don't have a job. Right now is soccer season and I live an hour away from the school I go to and after school practices and everything just no time for job.....trust me I want a job for some money.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh, 2 years ago when i was 17, i drove my runner' with no doors, top, tailgate, OR interior.. hehe just had a dash, the seats, seatbelts and a steering wheel. Friends moms used to get PISSED when i'd drop them off and they see my truck. It's nice when it's hot outside.
if you can get a spare set of doors, cut them out and make half doors.. better than nothing...
tube doors should only be 100-150 max tho...
Old 11-18-2006, 03:39 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm 22 and my parents while not understanding the logic of making my truck bigger, louder and such leave me alone.

It's my truck, paid for with my money, paying the insurance and repairs myself..
Old 11-18-2006, 04:54 PM

I have been looking on the dmv website concerning vehicle regulations in the state of MS, however I have been able to find nothing about the use or no - use of doors.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:24 AM

You must have a driver side mirror, dunno about pass. side....
Old 11-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

when i had my first yota seems like they knew what i did no matter how i tried to cover it up. $5 at the car wash and they could still find mud somewhere...lol.. a lot of "told you so". They mean well
Old 11-19-2006, 02:40 PM

I've wheeled without doors before, and driven on the road without them, but the risk really outweighs the benefit. My friend shot some pics of a complete roll over where the driver's leg is dangling out of the door just as the truck is about to crush it. Pretty sketchy.

I have a set of 1/2 doors now, and I'll use them or my full doors from now on. I had my 1/2 doors on in the pic below and I'm glad I did. Go with 1/2 doors or tube doors, but don't go doorless.

Last edited by BeaterToyota; 11-19-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:07 PM

Wow, thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it. I had my Dad talked into it and he told me go ahead. "Well I wonder what I'll say to the judge when he files me for parental neglect." I was fixing to take them off when my Mom said it was time for dinner. After dinner my Dad decided not to let me, and now i'm researching tube doors. However after my dad did some research he decided that i can't have the tube doors without a 5 point harness. So.....it will probally be a while before I even go with the tube doors. Now that I'm not going doorless I'm faced with the orginal problem.....electric windows that don't work at the moment!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:23 PM

You do know, that 5 point harnesses are illegal, right?
Racing only.
and to "really" mount a 5 point, you need a rollcage.

Quick Reply: Doorless