Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

does borla make headers for a 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question does borla make headers for a 3.0

does borla make headers for a 3.0 or do you have any thoughts on this subject i would like borla headers with the cat back exhaust i have a 3vze from a 1994 4runner that i am putting in my 1989 pickup. if you have any pointers for the swap please write back on that too, thanks.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Borla does have a reputable name and good reputation for building quality products for the most part. I have the Borla catback on my truck and it's a thing of beauty. I like the not obnoxious, deep, mellow, sound, all the hangers line up perfectly, and the bends and clearances are perfect and as good or better than the stock routing.

Headers wise I don't believe Borla ever made headers for the 3vze. If they did it might have been mid to late 90's but I've never heard of it ever being mentioned. I thought I heard somewhere that JBA (another fairly reputable name) used to make headers for the 3vze but discontinued them some years ago. NWOR (North West Offroad based out of Bellingham who makes/sells various Toyota truck/suv 4x4 aftermarket parts) for the longest time had the reptutation of making the best, highest quality, headers for the 3vze. Best routing, quality fitment, flanges, and connectors, etc, etc. Downey & Thorley make headrs for the 3vze that many consider so-so in quality and routing. This means you can make them work but you may have issues with other components - opinions may vary. NWOR's headers have been discontinued to the best of my knowledge, but it appears as those LC Engineering picked up right where NWOR left off. LCE has a very strong following amongst the 22R/22RE/3rzfe crowd (4 cylinder compact Toyota truck engines). They just came out with their headers offering this past year or so and they appear to be very high quality. What I like most about them is the thick stock flanges and gaskets they use, and the routing appears to have been well chosen from the few I've seen (including one in person so far - still waiting to see a manual crossover pipe). Price wise you're going to find for the money the LCE's are probably the best deal. Their kit includes everything you need for the install where as the Downey kit you have to buy the headers and crossover seperate which amount to close to or even more than the LCE kit.
If I were you I'd have a strong look at the LCE Headers.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya i think that's what i'll do cause i'm havin' LCE make me adjustable camshaft sprockets so i think i'll just get them both on the same order then of course throw the catback under there, i can't stand an obnoxious exhaust thanks for the input man much appreciated
Old 11-09-2007, 01:31 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uh no. Welcme to the world of nonexistent aftermarket support.

Your choices are NWOR, Thorley, and LC Engineering - seems I'm missing one though ...
Old 11-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Your choices are NWOR, Thorley, and LC Engineering - seems I'm missing one though ...
.... Downey.