Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Do my new tires exist?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do my new tires exist?

I tried doing a search but couldnt find what i was looking for exactly and i figured i trust you guys more when it comes to tire review then anything else but first hand experience. Well Im finishing my OME//BJ Spacer lift this weekend, got the rear done during the week and doing the front tomorrow. I will post pics when its done of how it looks. Anyways I got 31 inch Duler AT (not the revos) and well the front two are new but the rear are bald, and im looking to upsizing to 33X12.50 on some new rims.

To help you guys decide if a Tire exists that fits my needs I will tell you what my needs are.

1. First my truck is a DD so these tires need to last on the road. I dont care about noise they make as long as they balance well and wont wear out fast. What do I consider fast? well if possible as close to 50K miles as I can get.

2. SAND! I life 2 hours from pismo beach and love to go there in the summer time.75% of my wheeling is done in the sand so i need a tire very capable in the sand.

3. MUD! well when im not at the beah I live near the Sierra Nevdas and a bunch of rivers where I can find plenty of MUD, Its usually not overly thick and more on the watery side but I go through enough of it that my AT's just arnt cutting it and I want something better for the mud. This is the only area my AT dont do what I want but I love the mud so I gotta have a MT

4 SNOW/WET! Winter time around here the mountians are full of snow and I like to go snowboarding so I need something to get me there without killing myself by sliding off the mountian. I dont need amazing snow traction as i really havent wheeled in in but mostly for the icy roads i take to get up the mountian.

I know 3/4 of these scream an AT like BFG or something similar and i wish i could get away with that but my buddies chevy just does as bad as i do in the mud with them so i really do need a MT that can play hard in the sand and snow too while racking up the miles getting from the beach to the mountians and everywhere else I must take a paved road. Here are some tires I have been thinking about.

1. Geolander MT+
I hear good things about this guy as far as performance goes and road manners. I am unsure the mileage people are getting out of them and the directional tred has me going back and forth wether ill be able to get out of a mud hole in reverse or how id work the spare.

2. Wrangler MT/R
I heard GOOD things but the lack of snow performance has me worried but its last on my list so this are still a high possibility..

Other then those im not sure...It does have to be a MT So let me have it guys. play match maker with me and my new dream tire can all this be done in one tire!?!?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
an mt isnt going to do that well in the snow since it doesnt have any siping. but the best M/T ? the wrangler. pricy, but an amazing tire
Old 02-15-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
5 stars for the MTR's. I had those and loved them! They worked great in the snow
Old 02-15-2008, 09:10 PM

what about Toyo Open Country M/Ts? ive got a set of 'em and people keep telling me they last forever. i cant say how good they are in sand, but mud, road and snow they are great. with a 33x12.5 they would float well on sand. they dont even make much road noise imo. they arent the best on ice, but if your set on an m/t you wont get much better.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:10 PM

procomp xterrain! LOVE EM all around
Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by n8buddy
what about Toyo Open Country M/Ts? ive got a set of 'em and people keep telling me they last forever. i cant say how good they are in sand, but mud, road and snow they are great. with a 33x12.5 they would float well on sand. they dont even make much road noise imo. they arent the best on ice, but if your set on an m/t you wont get much better.
I thought about the toyos my buddy has them on a f150 and they do good in the sand and mud and road but they dont come in a 33X12.50 they only come in a 33X13.50 R15 and i think ill have rubbing issues with that wide tire..
Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 PM

hey man, after reading your "requirements", i'd say go with the MT/Rs. however, you might want to check out something like Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ and Baja MTZ, or even the cooper stt, as all of these tires have good siping, and even the Atz looks to be quite an "aggressive" all-terrian...and i also know people using the STTs on everything from Toyotas to 1-ton duallys, and they're lasting even after quite a bit of highway miles...good luck with your decision...
Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kiff
procomp xterrain! LOVE EM all around
these are very similar to the Geolanders MT but like i said how do you guys feel about directional MT??? and what the heck do u guys do about the spare LOL just mount it and hope the flat is on the right side? or just run it backwards if its not? seems odd to me.. and Im still not sure how they work going in reverse if i dig in the sand or mud can i expect problems with directional tires working in reverse?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

I have the Geo's. I've ran them in the sand, mud, snow and wet conditions. I'm not sure of the miles that I have on them, but they wear well. If your worried about not being able to get out with a directional tire in reverse, you can always have the tires mounted the opposite direction in the front or rear. Then just have a general 33 for a spare (I have a 33 general MT).

I've enjoyed them, will I get another set, not sure. I would be willing to try a different set of tires when the time comes but they've worked well.

Last edited by EWAYota; 02-15-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by EWAYota
I have the Geo's. I've ran them in the sand, mud, snow and wet conditions. I'm not sure of the miles that I have on them, but they wear well. If your worried about not being able to get out with a directional tire in reverse, you can always have the tires mounted the opposite direction in the front or rear. Then just have a general 33 for a spare (I have a 33 general MT).

I've enjoyed them, will I get another set, not sure. I would be willing to try a different set of tires when the time comes but they've worked well.
not to dis you man, but i noticed you stated on an earlier thread about mounting the front tires normal, and the rear tires reversed...wouldn't this just make it tend to "dig-in" when trying to drive around in 2wd? and if you mounted like this and were in 4wd, wouldn't it kind of make the front of the truck want to "pull" the truck trough more than the rear, so-to-speak, when driving forward, and vice-versa for when in reverse...just wondering, b/c it seems like a reverse mounted tire would have the "paddle-tire" effect, which could be bad if you don't have any momentum going for ya...
Old 02-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Took this from Letters to the Editor from Petersons:

Reader: Does the guy who owns the Suburban on the cover (Sept. '06) know he has his Michelin XCLs on backward? They are a directional tire, aren't they? Or is there a reason he has them on backward? Perhaps he likes to run trails in reverse.
Kevin Mokracek
via 4wheeloffroad.com

Editor: Yes, they are a directional tire, and Michelin recommends running them opposite of what you see on the cover. However, many directional tires seem to work as well or better when mounted in opposition to the recommended direction. Take for example Clifton Slay of Poison Spyder Customs, who was on the Mar. '06 cover with his Suicide Sally rig. Those Mickey Ts are directional tires and are on backward, and Clifton swears by that mounting method.

If you ever watch Top Truck Challenge or even just sifting through a 4x4 Mag, you will come across some who run directionals (Baja Claws for example), 1 set running forwards and another running back. Not uncommon. Usually its the rear set thats mounted the opposite direction.

Last edited by EWAYota; 02-15-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by EWAYota
Took this from Letters to the Editor from Petersons:

Reader: Does the guy who owns the Suburban on the cover (Sept. '06) know he has his Michelin XCLs on backward? They are a directional tire, aren't they? Or is there a reason he has them on backward? Perhaps he likes to run trails in reverse.
Kevin Mokracek
via 4wheeloffroad.com

Editor: Yes, they are a directional tire, and Michelin recommends running them opposite of what you see on the cover. However, many directional tires seem to work as well or better when mounted in opposition to the recommended direction. Take for example Clifton Slay of Poison Spyder Customs, who was on the Mar. '06 cover with his Suicide Sally rig. Those Mickey Ts are directional tires and are on backward, and Clifton swears by that mounting method.

If you ever watch Top Truck Challenge or even just sifting through a 4x4 Mag, you will come across some who run directionals (Baja Claws for example), 1 set running forwards and another running back. Not uncommon. Usually its the rear set thats mounted the opposite direction.
yeah, i get 4wheel & off-road every month, and remember seeing both of those features on the suburban and the jeep/rock-rig...however, i'd see it making much more sense on the rock rig, as it'd give you a better "biting" area...also, i guess the less tread angle these "directional" tires have, the better chance you will have mounting it backwards??? makes sense, as you don't see any tractor tires mountes backwards, but you do see ones like baja claws or those michelins...
Old 02-15-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running 33x12.50 Kumho Road Venture M/T. I love 'em.

Good:

They ride well
They balance fine
Wear seems almost non-existant
Awesome traction off road
I'm running open f/r diffs and I've never been stuck with these tires
Cheap by comparision

Bad:

Loud
Iffy traction on wet roads if it hasn't rained in a while
Very heavy tire
Loud
Not enough sidewall lug IMO
Loud
Loud

Overall, great tire for the money. The tread pattern is similar to a BFG M/T, but the tire is alot cheaper, I'd look on TireRack.

I can't say anything about sand performance, as beaches are scarce in SW Ohio. Mud traction is right up there with TSL's, but more streetable
Old 02-15-2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by nix4x4
I'm running 33x12.50 Kumho Road Venture M/T. I love 'em.

Good:

They ride well
They balance fine
Wear seems almost non-existant
Awesome traction off road
I'm running open f/r diffs and I've never been stuck with these tires
Cheap by comparision

Bad:

Loud
Iffy traction on wet roads if it hasn't rained in a while
Very heavy tire
Loud
Not enough sidewall lug IMO
Loud
Loud

Overall, great tire for the money. The tread pattern is similar to a BFG M/T, but the tire is alot cheaper, I'd look on TireRack.

I can't say anything about sand performance, as beaches are scarce in SW Ohio. Mud traction is right up there with TSL's, but more streetable
x2 on the kuhmos.....i have powerguard mts..in a 35 x 12.5.....

i second everything above ..but i will add they really suck on snow.....unless you have them siped...

but on dirt or anything else they are excellent...not horribly bad on noise...for me anyway...and they dont wear fast either

Cheers

Paul
Old 02-15-2008, 11:34 PM

BFG MT KM2s. They didnt have small enough ones out for my runner when i was looking for tires, But theyre on my dads 2500 dodge and im really impressed. Great all condition tire.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm wierd... as far as tires go, if I can hear em, they're too loud. These tires start humming at 30mph, and by the time you hit 65 its hard to hear the radio
Old 02-16-2008, 04:05 AM

hey i work at a tire shop and we install alot of the toyo open country m/t. they have sipeing and they are tough as hell. they have a nice thick bead that holds the rim well. guys tell me they are not bad for noise and work great in the snow. as for sand not sure.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

im not sure if you can get them in the states but you might want to check out the truxus mt tires. they are an mt tire, siped, good side lugs and work very well on and off road. several friends of mine use them and have been impressed with them.

they wear well and are relatively quiet for an off road tire. air them down for rocks or sand and they seem to work even better. those may be worth looking around for. anyone else that runs these may chime in and give you another opinion, good or bad.

good luck in your decision making and let us know what you end up with. its alway fun buying tires!

lee

Last edited by leebee; 02-16-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:20 AM

You can get them in the states. TrXus MT's are the best tire I've ever run across. Outstanding in snow, rain, dirt, rocks, mud, and sand; street manners are incredible, like an AT; they're really quiet (until they get really worn), and they look really cool. The only tradeoffs are that they're fairly heavy and they can be hard to balance.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

What's the average miles on these brands of muds;can you get a realistic 50k from any of them and still really off road a bit?

Quick Reply: Do my new tires exist?