Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY headlight wiring harness upgrade for low $$

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:44 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
don't worry about that diode. I didn't use it, and my highs stay on with my lows. can';t answer you about the heat though. But you might wanna use 10ga and 8 gauge wire though. and not 14g and 10 ga.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
edit** on my relay it says 87 and 87a.. from what ive read most people leave 87a alone? but why couldnt you run 87 to one head light then 87a to the other? Also, when i wire up my relay for my high beams(only low relay wired up) should that change anything on the oem h4 plug?
When 87 is powered, 87a is not. When 87a is powered, 87 is not.

A good trick to remember- when your switch is off, 87a is always on.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by shaeff

that's why when doing this, using 4 pin relays is a better idea.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Almos done making the high harness following your diagram, yeah I'm using 10ga on all power
Old 11-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
that's why when doing this, using 4 pin relays is a better idea.
Unless you get a five pin relay with two 87 outputs, which is what I personally prefer when wiring headlights/auxiliary lights. Two 87 outputs allows you to run one wire for each headlight instead of splicing them together.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:02 PM

Wired it up like yours, nothing worked saw something sparked near the fuse box checked everything now nothing works haha. Ah I even tried to run it like how it worked just on low and that doesn't even work

edit* wired it back up to when just low works for the time being.. blah.. i don't get this i wired it exactly like yours and nothing worked..

Last edited by 874runnersr5; 11-18-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I didn't use one by going with my diagram (even though it's listed there) and my lows stay on with my highs. we just don't know why. lol. My guess is it has something to do with the whole switched power verses switched ground.
i figured it out. it all has to do with the high-beam (h/b) indicator. when the h/b's come on, the ground is removed from the positive of the h/b indicator. this allows enough current to flow through the l/b filament and illuminate the h/b indicator, while not illuminating the l/b's themselves. however, when the l/b's are replaced with a relay, the relay is activated, causing your l/b's to come on when the h/b's are on. try adding a few high-watt resistors in parallel with the l/b relay

Last edited by irab88; 11-19-2010 at 05:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
xxxtreme22r (11-19-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 08:53 PM

Wired it up like yours, nothing worked saw something sparked near the fuse box checked everything now nothing works haha. Ah I even tried to run it like how it worked just on low and that doesn't even work

edit* wired it back up to when just low works for the time being.. blah.. i don't get this i wired it exactly like yours and nothing worked..
you have to remember that the headlights are a common positive system. double-check that. i'm not doubting you, it's just something i would have over-looked

Unless you get a five pin relay with two 87 outputs, which is what I personally prefer when wiring headlights/auxiliary lights. Two 87 outputs allows you to run one wire for each headlight instead of splicing them together.
5 pin relays don't work like that

terminal 87 is normally disconnected until the relay is activated

terminal 87a is normally connected until the relay is activated

(unless you have some other, non- automotive relay)

Last edited by irab88; 11-18-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
you have to remember that the headlights are a common positive system. double-check that. i'm not doubting you, it's just something i would have over-looked

either way, i wired it up identical to his diagram.. and still no luck.

oh well, im more than happy with 90Watt lowbeam for now..
Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 PM

either way, i wired it up identical to his diagram.. and still no luck.

oh well, im more than happy with 90Watt lowbeam for now..
ha, it's "only" 90 watts, low beam
Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 PM

(unless you have some other, non- automotive relay)

Another note- you've got that backwards. When the relay is NOT powered, 87a IS powered as shown here in an illustration of a relay- you can see that the 30 terminal is connected directly to the battery and has a braided wire going directly to the steel plate, which, when the relay is not energized is in the open position, thus making contact with the 87a terminal.

When the relay is clicked on (providing power to the 85 and 86 terminals), THEN the 87 is powered.

Read here for a pretty good breakdown of the Bosch style relay:
http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...osch/relay.htm

Quoted myself from above:

I know that, which is why I specified dual 87 outputs. Check out http://danielsternlighting.com/

I've been using dual 87 output relays for wiring stuff like this for years. (when I say dual 87 output, I mean straight 87, not an 87 and 87a. ) They're the best for doing jobs like this.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:43 AM

i figured it out. it all has to do with the high-beam (h/b) indicator. when the h/b's come on, the ground is removed from the positive of the h/b. this allows enough current to flow through the l/b filament and illuminate the h/b indicator, while not illuminating the l/b's themselves. however, when the l/b's are replaced with a relay, the relay is activated, causing your l/b's to come on when the h/b's are on. try adding a few high-watt resistors in parallel with the l/b relay

your a genius, well I guess I could figured it out by looking that the factory wiring diagram as well. But was not worried about it, I like the L/B on with the H/B. But it does explain why my H/B indicator is now dimmer since doing this mod.

You are only using 1 of the original headlight sockets right?

Did you check your fuses after you lost power? What size fuses did you use for low and high beams? You will need a minimum of a 20 amp fuse for your lows since your low beams will draw about 15 amp, and you high beams are gonna require nothing less than a 30 amp fuse since they are going to draw roughly 22 amp.
irab88 (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 04:54 AM

Another note- you've got that backwards. When the relay is NOT powered, 87a IS powered as shown here in an illustration of a relay- you can see that the 30 terminal is connected directly to the battery and has a braided wire going directly to the steel plate, which, when the relay is not energized is in the open position, thus making contact with the 87a terminal.
yeah. we're saying the same thing with different terms

87 is normally open, while 87a is normally closed. tomāto tomăto

as for the dual 87 relays, awesome! i didn't know they made those. now i've got a new component to try out
Old 11-19-2010, 07:19 AM

your a genius, well I guess I could figured it out by looking that the factory wiring diagram as well. But was not worried about it, I like the L/B on with the H/B. But it does explain why my H/B indicator is now dimmer since doing this mod.

You are only using 1 of the original headlight sockets right?

Did you check your fuses after you lost power? What size fuses did you use for low and high beams? You will need a minimum of a 20 amp fuse for your lows since your low beams will draw about 15 amp, and you high beams are gonna require nothing less than a 30 amp fuse since they are going to draw roughly 22 amp.
Yep, ill double check that i had a 30 amp fuse for the high beam, but either way should the low beam still work?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 AM

yeah. we're saying the same thing with different terms

87 is normally open, while 87a is normally closed. tomāto tomăto

as for the dual 87 relays, awesome! i didn't know they made those. now i've got a new component to try out
Yeah I caught that now. I was wicked tired last night when I posted that. LOL. We absolutely said the same thing in different ways. I gotta stop tired-posting!

Yeah man, they're fantastic. So much better than cramming two thick wires into a single crimp connector or splicing two wires onto a single output wire when using a relay harness (which I highly suggest doing!)

Use some RTV to seal the back where the wires come out, and dielectric grease in the terminals- it'll never fail on you from corrosion. Using that method I've had relays mounted under the truck before going through many NE winters and never had an issue with a failed relay or corrosion on the wiring/terminals.

Last edited by shaeff; 11-19-2010 at 07:48 AM.
irab88 (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 AM

Yeah I caught that now. I was wicked tired last night when I posted that. LOL. We absolutely said the same thing in different ways. I gotta stop tired-posting!

Yeah man, they're fantastic. So much better than cramming two thick wires into a single crimp connector or splicing two wires onto a single output wire when using a relay harness (which I highly suggest doing!)

Use some RTV to seal the back where the wires come out, and dielectric grease in the terminals- it'll never fail on you from corrosion. Using that method I've had relays mounted under the truck before going through many NE winters and never had an issue with a failed relay or corrosion on the wiring/terminals.
haha, don't worry about it. where do you get the dual-87 relays?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:27 AM

haha, don't worry about it. where do you get the dual-87 relays?
Hella makes some, and Daniel Stern (I linked to his site earlier) sells them too. There are a few different manufacturers. My local AutoZone has them sometimes under "Baja Relay"- the package has a picture of a Baja truck with lights all over it. They are reasonably durable- I've yet to have one fail on me.

I try to go through Daniel Stern whenever I can, though, as he will NOT sell you a product that is of poor quality. That guy really knows his stuff.
irab88 (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 PM

cool. now i know where to get 'em.

i didn't see the relays on dan's site. is it something you just ask for?
Old 11-20-2010, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm working on my harness today (timely thread btw as I had ordered my housings and bulbs a couple of weeks ago) and I havea question. One of you said that your HB are coming on with your LB even without a diode. Now I do not want my LB on with my HB so who's diagram should I follow?
Old 11-20-2010, 05:27 AM

I didn't say my HB is coming on with my LB, I said my LB is coming on with my HB.

Quick Reply: DIY headlight wiring harness upgrade for low $$