Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

disabling 4 runner daytime running lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disabling 4 runner daytime running lights?

vehicle is a 94 toyota 4 runner and im up in canada so drl would be manditory on cars sold up here. just curious as to if anyone has figured out how to get rid of the daytimes? tryed pulling the fuse and searching around but no luck. i really hate them and would rather not have them. thx
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 PM

Hey shancerlelby,

I've been gathering some info to put together a compilation of DRL disable mods. See if the below info helps:

1990-1995 4Runners: *(1995 4Runner EWD Manual)

USA models= No DRL
Canada models= DRL

Location;
Under dash passenger side-
Disconnect DRL connector D4 PIN 2 (Black/Orange stripe wire).

Optional;
Install a switch inline with cut Black/Orange wires for manual operation.

OR

1) Permanente disable: 3VZ-E

Location;
Passenger's side fender by fuse box-
Disconnect DRL resistor connector D2 (White/Green Stripe & White/Black Stripe wires) @ resistor.

2) Permanente disable: 22R-E

Location;
Driver's side fender by firewall-
Disconnect DRL resistor connector D2 (White/Green Stripe & White/Black Stripe wires) @ resistor.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:06 AM

why??? what is so bad about having other drivers see you??
Old 10-23-2007, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think it's a bad thing issac but there are reasons for disabling them... when I worked in security I had the '87 and it was great to be able to have my truck running, keeping me and the dog warm, without advertising my presence so loudly to the would be malifactors... or when you are cuddling with your lady... I had a set of aftermarket driving lamps that I used as DRLs when I wanted/needed them... also those of us doing the HID conversion need to disable the DRL feature because of the way it works, we'd be driving around with HID high beams all the time... not the way to win friends and influence people... in any case it would be nice to be able to turn them off in certain wx conditions like fog for example...

and thanks for the info surf sport ssr-x it really helps... FWIW I would probably recommend the switched option that way if you ever have to go through a "safety" inspection you will still pass with no "issues".
Prost Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 10-23-2007 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 02Surf SSR-X 4xSport
1990-1995 4Runners: *(1995 4Runner EWD Manual)

USA models= No DRL
Canada models= DRL

Location;
Under dash passenger side-
Disconnect DRL connector D4 PIN 2 (Black/Orange stripe wire).

Optional;
Install a switch inline with cut Black/Orange wires for manual operation.
Surf I just thought of another option... instead of a switch install an inline fuse holder [instead of a switch] without the fuse that way when you want to sell the truck just put a fuse in and you're completely "legal" again with no worries...

Prost Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 10-23-2007 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:05 AM

yup, in my 91 sr5 i cut the black wire with a orange stripe :thumbup:
Old 10-23-2007, 08:52 AM

That's true about re'selling the truck. You could also remove the PIN from the connector...a bit tricky though...might have to get in there to unlock the PIN's locking tab from inside the connector.
On my '02 rig's D8 connector, I had to lift this one plastic pin security bar on top of the connector then work the PIN out from it's slot.
OR
Resplice the "cut" connection back together.
OR
If you really want to get fancy...you could use Molex 2 pin connector's for the switch connection. When going to re-sell...leave the switche's Molex connector in place & cut the switch off & splice the wires that went to the switch together...hehe
Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the DRL wire is totally different on a 92-95 than on a 90-91, yes on the 90-91 it is th black and orange wire, im not sure, search it and look for the 4crawlers write up

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 10-23-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ghts.shtml#DRL

there, read that.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
I don't think it's a bad thing issac but there are reasons for disabling them... when I worked in security I had the '87 and it was great to be able to have my truck running, keeping me and the dog warm, without advertising my presence so loudly to the would be malifactors... or when you are cuddling with your lady... I had a set of aftermarket driving lamps that I used as DRLs when I wanted/needed them... also those of us doing the HID conversion need to disable the DRL feature because of the way it works, we'd be driving around with HID high beams all the time... not the way to win friends and influence people... in any case it would be nice to be able to turn them off in certain wx conditions like fog for example...

and thanks for the info surf sport ssr-x it really helps... FWIW I would probably recommend the switched option that way if you ever have to go through a "safety" inspection you will still pass with no "issues".
Prost Aviator
good points. however, any time i need to be in 'stealth' mode i just start the truck with the parking brake on. voila, no drl until you release the brake.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 PM

pretty much want to put my hids in but dont want to burn them out with them being on during the daytime because of the drl function. i havent had to replace a bulb yet on my other rig (88 dodge lancer shelby) but im sure they arent cheap lol. most times i run with the marker lights on just for visability reasons. altho when soccer moms are driving their full sized suburbans they tend to not see anything lights on or not.

thx 02Surf SSR-X 4xSport, im gonan have to climb under the passengerside dash tonite and see whats up. i searched all over the drivers side while chopping out the hack job remote starter thinking it would be there but no luck.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 PM

well been awhile since an update on this but i got under the dash for the second time and found the drl control box. right next to the headlight retention module. black with orange stripe away from the rest of the wires. it's the 12v ignition feed. with this wire disconnected no drl. my hids are happy about that. hopefully this helps anyone else interested.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone have a picture of this DTRL module, that would be really helpful.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:54 PM

Here's a picture of the passenger's side under the dash.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:59 PM

Ok, there are two black/orange stripe wires that go into the two relays at the top of picture #2. I don't think either of them control DTRLs because they are both live when when the DTRLs are off (ie: the engine is not running). Of course, it may be the case that I'm wrong here, this is because the black/orange wires are always live and they are going INTO the relays to supply power to the DTRLs? Then again, I don't think that's the case either because when I pulled the relays, the DTRLs still worked. What's with?

Is this black box the resistor for the DTRLs- on the drivers side fender just above the air flow meter? My day time running lights are the same brightness as my low beams- do I even have a resistor?

Last edited by Matt16; 03-17-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:17 PM

okay so top of picture two i have no idea what those are but on the exact opposite side of that picture the modules will be located. mine were actually labeled if you can get close enought to read.

as for the resistor under hood never checked into that. that black relay looks to be aftermarket as i dont have one on my 94. anyone else chime in there?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:27 PM

I am really hoping someone can answer this question. I am also reading through the FSM. I'd rather not have the lights on while I've got the engine running when camping.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt16
I am really hoping someone can answer this question. I am also reading through the FSM. I'd rather not have the lights on while I've got the engine running when camping.
if you want to disconnect your DRL's on your 91 4Runner, under your ashtray infront of your shift there is a cover, take it off. behind the cover you should see a grey box, take it out with wires still connected. cut the black with orange wire going into the box. CONGRADULATIONS you just disconnected your DRL's for a 1990/1991 4Runner.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 AM

WIcked man, wicked. The girlfriend thanks you. I'm gonna get some pics, cause it was difficult tracking this info down.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 PM

OK, here's how you disable the DRLs on a 1990 4Runner SR5:
  1. remove panel underneath ashtray in front of transmission shifter
  2. remove gray box by undoing two screws that mount to the body- this is the headlight control unit and it says so on the box
  3. clip the black/orange strip wire leaving the box
  4. install switch to keep it legal- I'm putting a switch on the dash so normally the DRLs function normally, but when I flick the switch, they turn off completely.

Congrats, you're now invisible in the rain.

Quick Reply: disabling 4 runner daytime running lights?