86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

dim headlight & carburetor/emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dim headlight & carburetor/emission issue

Got 1986 Toyota Pickup(22R)... driver's side head lamp dim, but the other is fine. I've switched them out & cleaned terminals, but driver's side still dim. Stripped conduit that runs behind radiator & traced to fuse block, but no cracks, ground, etc. Having trouble locating ground... where? switch? fender? this problem must be typical & easy fix.

Other issue is the engine rpm. When warm the engine won't hold it's idle. It drops rpm & dies once warm. Starts fine when cold, but after it dies it usually takes a few minutes before it's able to start again(flooding?). The fuel level in sight glass was high, but seams to be back to the middle after I retightened carb mount bolts/nuts(vacuum leak?). It's a rebuilt carburetor with around 20k(not float level... I hope!) & I've since removed the air injection manifold & plastic resonator chamber(affects?). Good luck out there.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:12 PM

As for the headlight, it sounds like the ground is bad. I know someone will come along and tell you how to check it with a multimeter, but try a piece of wire and ground the ground and see if the light brightens.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:57 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Dim Headlights

Originally Posted by 86carbPU
Got 1986 Toyota Pickup(22R)... driver's side head lamp dim, but the other is fine. I've switched them out & cleaned terminals, but driver's side still dim. Stripped conduit that runs behind radiator & traced to fuse block, but no cracks, ground, etc. Having trouble locating ground... where? switch? fender? this problem must be typical & easy fix.
How about high beams? Same problem? Busted fuse will do that. There is a fuse for each side headlight. When on fuse is busted, the light for that side will not go completely out. Leakage current from other side will run through high & low beam filaments (now connected in series) to ground, causing dim light.
Schematic for 86 - 88 is here. (Trace in red is current path for high beam, but you can just ignore that)
Name:  Headlight_ONLY_Current-Red.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  132.7 KB
Note 2 separate fuses for left and right headlights.

Next to our senses, a multi-meter is the best diagnostic tool for our classics. If you don't have one yet, Harbor Freight is your friend . I recommend getting the one with clamp-on ammeter. It's handy for checking current for troubleshooting, say... cranking system or headlight circuit.

Put Neg probe on battery negative.
Turn on headlights.
Measure voltage with red probe at terminal 3 of each bulb. readings should be exactly the same.
Verify: disconnect connector from bulb, Keep headlights "on". Both terminal 3's should have 12V. Side that does not may have busted fuse or bad connection to headlight relay.

Once you're done troubleshooting, you might consider rewiring headlight circuit (mod on my signature is clean, robust, and is the one more step that Toyota engineers should have taken to do the circuit right. If not comfortable swimming in wires, just get a drop-in H4 conversion harness.

Best of luck

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-06-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Headlights share a ground wire, located in the drivers side kick panel. They splice together before the A2 connector, A2 is located at the relay block in the engine bay. Problem has to be in this section of wire or the plugs. Sounds like it's time to upgrade to a better harness with relays, or atleast thats the excuse you can give the accountant to get you funded.

Sorry I don't do carb work Assuming everything else is adjusted correctly you just need to adjust the warm idle.

Get your manual out and follow the trouble shooting list.
Stalling: idle speed adjustment, Slow jet clogged, Idle mix incorrect, Fuel cut solenoid valve not open, Fast idle speed setting incorrect(cold engine), Choke system faulty, Secondary throttle valve not closed.

Adjust fast idle speed:
(A) Disconnect vac hose from choke opener and EGR, plug hose ends.
(B) Set fast idle cam. While holding throttle valve slightly open, push choke valve closed and hold closed as you release throttle valve.
(C) Start the endine, but do not depress the accelerator.
(D) Adjust the fast idle speed w/ adjusting screw. 3000rpm.
(E) Reconnect vacuum hoses.
...reassemble air cleaner, and emissions hoses...
Adjust idle speed to 700rpm, if necessary adjust idle mixture.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:57 PM

thank you I'll jump on that & post results asap. "diligent hands rule"
Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 PM

Turns out the carburetor 4-pin green connector to the carburetor/solenoid had a loose terminal. I peeled out the round rubber insulator & pushed 'em back in with needle nose pliers & now the idle stays consistent at stop lights. I read elsewhere there's a way to hook one of the two wires from solenoid straight to battery; prevents stalling at idle & erratic idle during deceleration. Lights still working progress.