Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Did the 82' Supra AFM swap but truck idles a bit rough.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the 82' Supra AFM swap but truck idles a bit rough.

Hey what's up fellas, I just did the 82' Supra AFM swap which to my knowledge, is a "plug-n-play" but have some problems with it. I noticed after the installation, the truck idles kinda rough and drops down to lower RPMs of 300-500 RPM so I had to adjust the throttle to compensate for the rough idle. Upon adjusting the throttle, it ran a bit smooth but still had a slight shake every 5 seconds or so, which I can definitely feel from inside the cabin.
I replaced the Supra AFM to my stock AFM to see if there was any difference and once I replaced it, turned the truck on and the idle of the truck jumped to about 1,800 RPM, I readjusted the throttle body again and noticed that the truck ran smooth like it did before.
So my question to you guys is, do I have a bad AFM? If so, how do I fix it? I did do a search through the site and googled it but got no real answers.
Thx a bunch in advance.

Some things to know what I am running:
1988 4Runner 22RE
No battery/intake relocation
Supra AFM part # 22250-43110 (pulled from the local wrecking yard, searched for months to finally get this.)
Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes then try again
Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by sebastianholmes
disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes then try again
Forgot to mention that I already done that too, thx though for the reply.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ahh, do you know if it was opened up and adjusted at all? you may have to get it back to the stock settings, but dont ask me how i have no knowledge of all that. other people here do though, youll figure it out
Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by sebastianholmes
ahh, do you know if it was opened up and adjusted at all? you may have to get it back to the stock settings, but dont ask me how i have no knowledge of all that. other people here do though, youll figure it out
I pulled the AFM from an untouched 82 Celica-Supra. It seemed like the AFM
was never adjusted but either ways, when throttle is adjusted to compensate the Supra AFM, it still idles a bit harsh but when driving, it runs really good with no hiccups. I do notice that it has a rather distinct smell now when I drive it. Hopefully others on the forum can chime in cause I'd really hate to have a bad AFM!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:53 AM

Ill buy your stock AFM haha
Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 PM

Hey, have you found anything out about this? I did the 82 supra swap into my toyota pickup and swapped the battery/intake. After installing in the truck it idled rough and still does and a noticeable smell of gas from the exhaust. just wondering what you did if anything
Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 AM

open it up and adjust the gear in side it sounds like the afm is running your motor to lean or to rich its a super easy adjustment but make sure you mark the original spot so you can play with it.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by upslidedown
open it up and adjust the gear in side it sounds like the afm is running your motor to lean or to rich its a super easy adjustment but make sure you mark the original spot so you can play with it.
Yep, thats the way to do it. Turning the little gear clockwise will lean it out, counter clockwise will richen. USE A SILVER SHARPIE (or other marking device that will show up on black plastic) TO MARK THE GEAR BEFORE YOU ADJUST IT OR YOU WILL BE SCREWED!!! It has been said not to adjust more than 3 teeth either way, but I have adjusted mine more than 5 with no major issue other than sputtering and loss of power. I have adjusted mine several times in order to find that sweet spot...found it three teeth clockwise of stock.

I had a similar issue when I installed my header. Turned out that when we relocated the O2 sensor, it cause two of my injectors to foul out. Fresh tank of gas and a full can of SEAFOAM while driving like a bat out of you know where for about 35 miles cleaned that right up. Get the motor nice and hot and then crank it up to 4000 RPM while driving. I think it helps the ECU figure some things out and really cleans out the fuel system. MHO
Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM

The gear that you are referring to is the big black one under everything right? (haven't opened it yet just going off of pics I have seen). But I think that I am running rich due to the higher idle and the smell of unburnt gas is this right? Another thing that I was thinking that would cause the high idle is a bad/sticky throttle body. i am thinking this because when i pull up to a stop sign the idle is at about 1500 rpm then i rev the engine past 3000 rpm and the idle will drop and jump around between 500 and 700 rpm. Im going to try cleaning the TB tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:13 PM

Hmmmm, I keep hearing "NOT" to adjust the metal/aluminum but u guys say it's safe? Well, it's been awhile since I gotten back to this thread but I allowed my ECU to just learn my driving behavior and it's kinda adapting to my driving habit and is idling between 900-1,200 RPM depending on the temp outside. I'll consider adjusting the screw to see if that will help keep things back to stock. And yes, I still get a "gas" smell coming off my truck but that doesn't bother me much.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by YOTA-MAN
The gear that you are referring to is the big black one under everything right? (haven't opened it yet just going off of pics I have seen). But I think that I am running rich due to the higher idle and the smell of unburnt gas is this right? Another thing that I was thinking that would cause the high idle is a bad/sticky throttle body. i am thinking this because when i pull up to a stop sign the idle is at about 1500 rpm then i rev the engine past 3000 rpm and the idle will drop and jump around between 500 and 700 rpm. Im going to try cleaning the TB tonight or tomorrow.
That would be correct. The big black one. As with the sticky idle issue, it probably has more to do with the "auto idle" diaphragm that sits underneath the idle adjust screw on the dashpot of the throttle body. I had the same issue where when rolling up to a stop sign or coming to a stop in a parking lot, my truck would remain at a high idle, so I'd rev it to drop it down.

Anyway, look for the little metal diaphragm under your throttle body dashpot and see if its still got a little spring in it, if it becomes too much of an issue, you can adjust your idle screw so it is no longer affected by it.