Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Debris Found During Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debris Found During Oil Change

Debris Found During Oil Change-adjysl.jpg
So I found the above small debris when I changed my oil today. It is a hard plastic. I have searched threads about the "Timing Chain Guides" and the accompanying debris that makes its way into the oil pan when they go, but I was unable to find one with a picture to compare to. Is this it? This was about all I found in the oil--there were a few more small pieces, but this was the majority of it.

I haven't noticed any unusual noise of the chain slapping the head, and the car has been running strong with no losses in oil pressure.

I have about 180,000mi on the engine, and to my knowledge the timing chain has never been replaced.

I was hoping to drive home for the holidays (1300mi each way), but after this discovery, I am a little nervous.

Thoughts? I will continue to dig through the site and see what I find in the various threads. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:35 PM

Sure looks like pieces of timing chain guide from the chain slapping against it. The true gauge of the lifespan of your timing chain would be to pull the valve cover off and peer down the drivers side of the timing chain with a flashlight. You can see how far the chain has dug through the guide. You should also check the tension of the chain with your finger. There should be very little play in the chain. If there is excessive play it can usually be attributed to the timing chain tensioner and/or drivers side timing chain guide. Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
First of all, what type of engine do you have etc. etc.

It's hard to tell for sure, but I bet it's your timing chain guides if you have the 22r/e motor. Only way to know for sure is to pull the valve cover and shine a light down the front of the engine and see if they are still intact. If they are gone, then you know what happened.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:17 PM

^what they said^ ...if it's a 22r/re motor, my guess would be chain guides as well. Won't hurt to check under that valve cover.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
First of all, what type of engine do you have etc. etc.

It's hard to tell for sure, but I bet it's your timing chain guides if you have the 22r/e motor. Only way to know for sure is to pull the valve cover and shine a light down the front of the engine and see if they are still intact. If they are gone, then you know what happened.
Sorry about not putting the info up--I thought I had it written in my signature at the bottom--Yes it's a 90 4Runner, 22re, 5-speed, 4x4.

Noob Question: Is this a no drive situation? As I stated before, I was planning on driving home for the holidays. I could put in a new chain kit when I get there, but I was hoping to leave tomorrow.

I have picked up from the other threads that Engnbldr is the way to go on the replacement parts, I have a downloaded shop manual, and the following links posted by ovrrdrive in (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nt-pics-88722/), have great write ups on the process:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timingchain/

I will pull the valve cover off tomorrow and take a look at the chain--thanks for the heads up on what to look for.

Last edited by Smelliottkuhn; 12-13-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm guessing you only broke the top bolt hole off the timing guide.
Once you take off your valve cover, you'll see what the situation is.
I drove for over 6 month (~10,000 Km) with the top bolt hole broken off. The rest of the guides just flop over onto the timing cover, still supplying adequate protection, that is until they break off.
Mine eventually broke off and ended up in my oil pan. The chain was slapping and making the tell-tale "broken timing guide" noise for probably 3 months before I could get it fixed.
When I pulled it apart, there was not visible damage to the timing cover, just two shiny lines (no actual wear yet).
I say you'll be alright for a while, probably ok to take your trip. But would you want to worry over it the entire length of your trip?
Buy the parts, and get it fixed and you won't have to worry about it for another 100, 000 km.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It was me, I would look at what kind of condition those timing chain guides are in. If they are gone, then I would not drive it.

The good news is, doing a timing chain job without removing the head only takes about a day to do.