Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

De-smogging 22r: are water block-off plates necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
De-smogging 22r: are water block-off plates necessary?

I've already removed and plated my 22r's EGR, air injection, and O2 ports but cannot get my stock Aisan to run correctly. I have a Redline Weber conversion kit on the way and am trying to understand the point of plates like these:

Water Block Plate Kit(11 Bolt) - 22R(Under Intake) Part Number: 1032010 $39.95
http://www.lceperformance.com/Water-...-p/1032010.htm

Pro Water Block Plate Kit - 20R/22R Part Number: 1016015 $19.95
http://www.lceperformance.com/Pro-Wa...-p/1016015.htm

EGR Crossover Block Plate Kit - 20R/22R/RE/RET Part Number: 1032007 $24.95
http://www.lceperformance.com/EGR-Cr...-p/1032007.htm

What do these water lines/ports feed that is necessary to block off? If I'm replacing the electric choke Aisan with a manual choke Weber, and removing/plugging the BVSV/AAP/thermo/etc, is there any functional reason to block these water passages?
Old 11-29-2016, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No the water block off plates are not necessary, you will be left without a heater if you do it and I've been told you have a good chance of blowing a head gasket as they block engine cooling pathways. I dont know what they do to tell you the truth. Other than clean the look up a bit. You do need to block your EGR valve and exhaust recirc ports to run the weber.

I made a gasket out of a beer can because the egr section of the intake manifold gasket tore when i removed it. You dont need to remove and plug the sensors but it cleans it up and looks better. You do need to cap them off with rubber plugs. I did this at first, then later bought the plugs from LCE cause it looks better. You will want to buy a fuel pressure regulator as the stock fuel pump does around 7psi and the weber needs 2 to 3 psi to run correctly. Here's what it should look like.

You dont need 2 gauges. I had 1 before and 1 after the regulator originally but ditched the before side. The one on the regulator is all you need. This picture was before I removed and blocked the EGR but you need to do that. Just buy the EGR block plates, it should have a triangle shaped plate and 2 long oval shaped plates that block the exhaust manifold recirc ports. You remove that pipe that wraps behind the engine from the exhaust. Good luck

Last edited by ChinkTruck; 11-29-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:01 AM

Here's the final product with sensors plugged and EGR plates.

I'll give you a suggestion for mounting the choke handle. I think the way I did looks like it came from the factory.
Remove that plastic cap just left of the E-brake. This ofcourse is for a 2nd gen yota. If your a 1st or early 3rd gen sorry for wasting your time.
Then take a 1/2 inch drill bit, you dont need a foot long bit like mine, lol. Turn slowly, plastic should just peel out. Then you can ditch the mounting bracket it came with. Just use the lock washers and nut to secure.
And Bobs you uncle, looks like it came from the factory. Another tip I can give is on the braket that holds the choke cable to the carburator, you just want to tighten it just enough to hold it in place, if you over tighten it your choke will be difficult to pull out. I thought I had a deffective cable for a while untill I figured this out. Hope it helps

Last edited by ChinkTruck; 11-30-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome picture. Thanks, I bought a truck with the webber and it still has the EGR attached and I think it's either clogged or sticking as the engine starts cutting out when gradually acelerating. Where do you buy the block off plates and do they come as a kit?
Old 12-03-2016, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by moosecholok
Where do you buy the block off plates and do they come as a kit?
LC Engineering

http://www.lceperformance.com/Block-Plates-s/1447.htm
Old 12-03-2016, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ChinkTruck
No the water block off plates are not necessary, you will be left without a heater if you do it and I've been told you have a good chance of blowing a head gasket as they block engine cooling pathways. I dont know what they do to tell you the truth. Other than clean the look up a bit.
Why are there such a thing as "water pump block off plates"?

Its so you can REMOVE the water pump from the engine.

How the heck does the engine get cooled then?

ELECTRIC water pump!

There are a few OEM actually using this method - BMW for one.

WHY ?

A mechanical water pump sucks more HP, especially at higher RPM.
An electric water pump can maintain the same "flow" rate independent of engine speed (assuming you have enough battery juice)

The other common use is for DRAG RACE cars. these cars run real hot but for real brief periods of time (like 1/4 mile1)
So an electric pump allows you to circulate coolant at proper flow rates, WITHOUT the motor running (aka during the wait for the next pass)

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/davie...ic-water-pump/

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/...c-water-pumps/
Old 12-03-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by ewong
Why are there such a thing as "water pump block off plates"?

Its so you can REMOVE the water pump from the engine.
None of the plates refered to in this thread have anything to do with deleting the engines water pump.

They only act to end hot coolant flow to the intake manifold, heater core, and to block off egr passages,

Last edited by millball; 12-03-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by moosecholok
Awesome picture. Thanks, I bought a truck with the webber and it still has the EGR attached and I think it's either clogged or sticking as the engine starts cutting out when gradually acelerating. Where do you buy the block off plates and do they come as a kit?
yotashop has steel plates that are a little cheaper than LCE chrome ones. If your poor like most of us and dont care about looks check them out.