Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cylinder Head Studs for the 3VZE V6 Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Cylinder Head Studs for the 3VZE V6 Engine?

This seems like a no-brainer. You need to replace the head bolts anyway anytime take the heads off. So what are you going to do? Replace them with aftermarket bolts of unknown quality? Or go the OEM route get a set of bolts from a Toyota dealer? Or go with quality head studs?

I just got a quote back from Olate Toyota, a Toyota dealer that does a lot of online business. With their discounts, the bolts run about $13.49 each, So with washers, it should be about $240 to get a complete set, plus shipping. Interestingly enough that's about how much L C Performance charges for a set of ARP studs. The performance of studs in this application seems so far superior to even OEM bolts that it would be crazy to spend that kind of money on conventional bolts, I think I know which route I'm gonna take. Of course, you can always get the aftermarket bolts for about $35.

http://www.lceperformance.com/Pro-He...-p/1024065.htm
Old 09-29-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next time I take my 3vz apart I will use the ARP for sure. For now I'm running a set from engnbldr. No issues so far.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Green93
Next time I take my 3vz apart I will use the ARP for sure. For now I'm running a set from engnbldr. No issues so far.
Wow! That's a blast from the past. I remember when 4x4wire.com was a hot Toyota 4x4 forum, the owner of engnbldr was a regular poster over there. Ted was his name I think. I bought 22RE rebuild parts from him. When did you buy your head bolts from him?
Old 09-29-2017, 05:28 PM

It is been pointed out to me that my opening statement is incorrect:

You need to replace the head bolts anyway anytime take the heads off.
This is apparently a bit of a rumor that has taken on a life of its own. I have been corrected on this before, but the error seems to persist. A technical service bulletin from Toyota addresses the issue:

https://www.toyotaparts.metro-toyota...T-EG98-002.pdf
Old 09-29-2017, 07:05 PM

Nevertheless, the question remains, just how good are used 3VZE Head bolts? This is what LC engineering has to say about it:

Cure that head gasket problem on your 3VZ once and for all! Our exclusive 3VZ head studs made by ARP are much better than using another set of stock head bolts that are the torque to yield type. Combine these studs with a set of MLS head gaskets and you won't have to worry about popping head gaskets ever again! The ARP Cylinder Head Studs are made from 8740 Chromoly Steel, these studs test out at over 190,000 psi Tensile Strength. If you're rebuilding your engine, LCE always recommends replacing the old stretched head bolts with new ones to insure the correct head torque. The torque for the studs nut is 80 foot pounds
Of course you have balance anything they say with the realization that they are trying to sell you a product.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a full rebuild kit from engnbldr, as well as a set of 1mm oversized valves. Never had an issue with his products and he always had the fastest customer support I've ever seen. I'd have to look through the huge stack of receipts, which is terrifying by the way, to see exactly how long ago it was.

My truck is turning into a retirement project unfortunately.