86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CV Swap ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV Swap ?'s

Well I need a little help with a diagnosis. First off, my front end has clicked at full turn forever, at least as long as I have owned my '95 4Runner 3.0 4WD, which I love and have been abusing for the last few years. Within the last few months I have noticed a mild vibration, that has become more and more worrisome but I don't think that it has come any more severe. There is also a metal grinding noise comeing from the front end, and a few other undescribable noises, beats me what those are. Yesterday I was driving in a parking garage and I think that I heard the left front tire chirping and locking as I went around a corner. Today I decided to put it in 4WD and see what happened and on left hand turns, yowzers that was a lot of noise, sounded like the tire was going to snap off. Got out and gave the CV a good push pull and found the the left is really sloppy, right not nearly as much.

Would everyone agree that it is a CV joint problem? I'm looking for a general consenous here, it seems that I swap out a lot of the wrong parts. Also any other recommendations on upgrades/might as well things that i should do while swaping a CV out?

Thanks for any help or recommendations in advance.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
so the boots arent torn right even so i would have to say cv's they are nutorious for making such a noise when they are worn. if you beat your truck on the trail i would aslo say that could easily be it. ive seen jeeps with the problem stock but then again its a jeep lol you have a lift on it, tires, miles, ect?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remanned CV's are only $70 ea after core charge, and they do wear out, so it wouldn't be "wasted" money if you were to change them.

While you have them out, be sure to grease up the spindle bushing really well, as that could be where some of the noise is coming from.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well right now I live in New York City and most of the roads out here are just as if not more tore up than many of the trails I have been on. 18" deep potholes, broken curbs, steel plates covering 18" deep potholes, broken manholes, I've been over just about every city street road hazard that there is. On top of that it is my daily driver, rain, snow, and shine, so it gets a lot of miles. I have put 65k on it in the few years that I have had it and now that brings it to about 155k on the same 3.0 V6. When I was inspecting the CV's last night I did not see any tears in any of the boots. I don't have a lift, tires are beat and probably have only a few k miles left on them but they were recently balanced. Not a lot else to tell about this, I've got some wicked valve noises, but I'll save that for another post.