Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

custom intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
custom intake

so i was thinking the other day, what if i made myself a custom air intake?
i have done the airbox mod, and was thinking that maybe i take some tubing of some sort and have it go from the intake box to the outside of the grille.
i dont know how to really explain it, other than just showing the pics that i kinda have in mind.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t..._k_y_/air2.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t..._k_y_/air1.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t..._k_y_/air3.jpg

mind you that the drawings arent exact and the angles arent going to be that extreme. and on the 3rd pic, i will cut a hole out of the grille about where the circle is so cold air will enter, no more hot engine air.

tell me what you guys think of this.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:45 PM

Sounds like a cool idea, more of a ram air effect. You would have to worry alot more about water ingestion and other crap flying through there, unless you put some kind of of a filter on it.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by guapo83
Sounds like a cool idea, more of a ram air effect. You would have to worry alot more about water ingestion and other crap flying through there, unless you put some kind of of a filter on it.
yeah that crossed my mind. i was for sure going to put in some sort of pre-filter in it somewhere. how much water can actually be sucked up in there? i know that when you rev the engine it produces quite a vacuum. also when i did the air bod mod, i drilled a number of holes to let any water that may have entered drain out.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:55 PM

why would he have to worry about that? he's still got the stock air box and filter. i think it's a good idea.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by yotasavg
why would he have to worry about that? he's still got the stock air box and filter. i think it's a good idea.
I never said it wasn't a good idea.....But if you have a tube running directly behind your grille, without out any additional filtering, you're gonna get alot more crap in your airbox, and if it rains, water will enter directly in, and could saturate the filter.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:02 PM

ok. my bad. we are on the same page!
Old 05-12-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a look at how the FJ cruiser does it... see the ads where they discuss water crossings...
Old 05-12-2007, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that is the way mine is, and i think its stock, but mine is the 22rtec, so idk if they have different airboxes for the different motors.

its not the greatest pic but its all i have right now but you can see the pipe that comes out of the airbox and goes fo the grille

Old 05-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tampabayota
that is the way mine is, and i think its stock, but mine is the 22rtec, so idk if they have different airboxes for the different motors.

its not the greatest pic but its all i have right now but you can see the pipe that comes out of the airbox and goes fo the grille
hard to tell on your pic
Old 05-13-2007, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ill get a bettr pic of it soon
Old 05-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

so no one thinks this might be a bad idea? except for the chance of water and debris entering.
didnt i read somewhere that for each degree you can cool the intake's air is equal to one horsepower? does anyone see me getting a noticable gain out of this?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats how the stock air intake is on the 22R (carb). It goes straight where you want to put a hose. Theres no issues with water intake on 'rainy' days. The only concern is water fording, you're better off pulling air from the inside of the engine bay to avoid the first surge of water upon entry.

FYI
Old 05-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drew303
Thats how the stock air intake is on the 22R (carb). It goes straight where you want to put a hose. Theres no issues with water intake on 'rainy' days. The only concern is water fording, you're better off pulling air from the inside of the engine bay to avoid the first surge of water upon entry.

FYI

well i very rarely do any water crossings. but if i were feeling the urge to cross a river or something, i thought i could also have with me some kinda home made 90 degree snorkle that i would just throw on real quick and ford the water and then take it off again.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

ive seen in stores the kinda slinky style tubing used for intakes. and also noticed it used alot on semi trucks in their exhaust. its kinda like the flexi straws that can be bent and held in a certain way.
what im wondering is; what kinda tubing is going to work best? does the slinky style tubing hinder the air because of all the ribs inside? should i be looking more towards a PVC type piping? or what?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:33 PM

Personally I would use PVC pipe, but that slinky style tubing would probably work well too, and be much easier to route.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:19 PM

take your tubing out the side of your engine bay in through the fender. it will be tight for sure, but it will be cooler air, plus your intake is few inches higher and further back so water crossing will be much easier, just a thought, it's what i have on my rig...works well
Old 05-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by olsy1984
take your tubing out the side of your engine bay in through the fender. it will be tight for sure, but it will be cooler air, plus your intake is few inches higher and further back so water crossing will be much easier, just a thought, it's what i have on my rig...works well
im looking to get away with the least amount of angles as possible. and for sure the lease amount of 90 degree angles as possible.
i dont know how the fender intake youre talking about will be any cooler than what i have in mind though??
Old 05-13-2007, 11:36 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...in+cab+snorkel

in this thread the author uses an in cab snorkel system, this is route you can go, but you don't really need to go all of the way into the cab like this...keep in mind that the air will be cooler, how much, i'm not entirely sure...but you won't have to worry about water and junk getting in there
Old 05-13-2007, 11:39 PM

http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/ar...nner%20snorkel

sorry, use this link for better reference as to what i meen
Old 05-14-2007, 12:07 AM

i would get a new sealed box & filter and route it down the side of the engine so it is behind the lower valance.'
sounds like this is mostly a street driver, it would be great for that.

this was my origional plan but im in the mud & water too much for that.

Quick Reply: custom intake