86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cost to Have Fuel Line Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cost to Have Fuel Line Replaced

I'm reaching the point where I no longer have time to throw at my fuel lines (and, I lack a lot of the knowledge), so I'm about to have to throw money at them.

How much should it cost to replace the entire fuel line that connects to the union at the tank?

I have an 89 DLX extended cab 4x4 with the 22RE. I had a leak in the fuel pump hanger (the one with two lines, not three). I have the replacement and can easily put that back together. However, the soft line got damaged as I was fighting with all the rust (yay! for road salt), and this started a pain in my tuchus. Trying to refit the union, the soft line split around it. I went to the other end of the soft line, and found a crack in the hard line it attaches to (rusted/corroded). So, at this point it looks like as I move forward, I'll be replacing the entire line. How much should I expect to pay a mechanic to have them do this for me?
Old 08-01-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
My guess is about $200-500, but I'm not a fast worker. A lot of decent mechanics around here charge $80-150 an hour, depending on the work. I also have no clue how much a fuel line costs.

Last edited by irab88; 08-01-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:55 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
That sucks. Price is going to depend on if parts, if Toyota parts can be found you're looking at $350ish for just soft lines. Hardlines may even be harder to find, I researched this last summer but my hard lines were still good. I opted to use braided stainless steel to replace soft lines. Finding adaptors to mate to AN6 was a pain but I found them. When all was said and done I had about $70-80 into it. I did have to relocate fuel filter. So if your gonna pay someone. Just depends on there level of comfort making braided steel lines, I learned off a YouTube video. Might have to consider running braided stainless line from tank to filter to fuel rail. Easy to work with and I figured it out. Ordered most parts from Jegz as they had best price. Gotta make sure line is intended for use with ethanol containing gas or lines will be eaten away. Can't remember who I sourced metric to AN6 but it was a performance Mitsubishi 3000GT site. Be cautions with metric fittings for European cars, different flare on adaptors, I found out the hard way. Worked like a charm for me at a fraction of the cost. I did find fuel pump bracket at dealer and a denso pump on Amazon; I wouldn't use another replacement pump. Hope it helps.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
After reading around:

Teflon-lined stainless-braided hose
or
stainless steel hard line

Those two seem to be the best, most reliable, and most compatible (ethanol, etc) types of lines to use. I'm going to go this route whenever I replace my lines.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
No junk yards near by to take the lines from? Should cost used $10 or less.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by se7enine
No junk yards near by to take the lines from? Should cost used $10 or less.
just depends on part of country ya live in. I'm in upstate NY so most old yotas are long gone. If you find one chances are they're rusted. They use stupid amounts of salt on the road.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Thinking about this I think $300.00 to $500.00 is in the price range.

To do the job correct I have bought EFI Toyota`s that had compression fittings on fuel lines.

Jobs done for unsuspecting clueless consumers for big $$$