Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Correct Bilsteins for Downey Springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct Bilsteins for Downey Springs

Hi All,

This is my first post here, so I figure I'll go ahead and introduce myself. I have a 1990 4Runner. I currently reside in Eastern Washington, via Camp Pendleton, CA, via Western Washington. I got my 4Runner due to needing an inexpensive rig as a result of divorce. I couldn't be happier, the divorce was worth it and I love the 4Runner. I like to spend a lot of time in the hills camping, hunting, and fishing. So I am looking to slowly upgrade my 4Runner to be a bit more capable. As of now, I am not looking to do anything major to the rig, just some things that will make my time driving in the woods more enjoyable.

I hate to ask a question on my first post, but I have been doing some searching and am having a difficult time coming up with an answer.

I just ordered a set of Downey HD springs and a pair of Sway Away torsion bars. I am going to go with Bilstein for the shocks. I have seen many posts and write ups about people doing this same project, but I never see which Bils they go with. I just want to make sure I get the right shocks.

Do people go with the stock size front and rear shocks from Bilstein (Part #s F4-B46-1468-H0 and F4-B46-1469-H0)? Or do they get a different size rear shock? I am not a automotive guru, but it makes sense to me that if the springs raise the rear an inch and a half that maybe a different size rear shock would be needed. The salesman at Downey told me that I would need something with 9" of compressions and 23" extension. This would be an easy lookup, except I am having trouble finding specs on Bilstein's web site.

Also, while I'm at it, since I haven't ordered the shocks yet, can anybody recommend a online retailer that sells Bils at a good price.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome, dikatry! Sorry that I don't have the answer to your question, but I'm looking forward to reading a response from someone who does. When I bought my springs from Downey, the salesman there was running a special on Doetsch shocks that he said were well-mated with the springs, so I went ahead and bought them. They were okay for a while, but I feel like I'm getting a rougher ride from them recently, so I'm looking to change to Bilsteins.

Good luck and enjoy that 4Runner.