86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cooling?

alright guy/gals i was down in the riverbed by my house, and doin some light wheelin while i was down there my 90runner was gettin hot!!! so i have an electric fan which was on but still she ran HOT there is like a brand new thermostat in there but didnt help. i know running in sand makes things run warmer but im trying to see if anyones running a 3 row radiator in there truck and where you got it and if there was any mods needed to make it work. thanks for all your help. oh yea if you live in temecula, ca the riverbed is off of nicolas road on winchester you gotta go down till the housing tracks end and it turns into a dirt road a just follow it. its fun if your a kinda stock vehicle, i got hung up on some rocks for like 30min. have fun
Old 07-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
how big of a fan are you running?

I put the LARGEST I could fit onto my new radiator and I'm hoping it'll do me fine; I haven't ran the truck with the setup yet as it's currently under construction, so I can't tell ya how good it's gunna work, lol

if I'm not mistaken, this is a 16", and it fits snug; I can't recall the CFM though...

also, make sure that if you have the fan in the "puller" configuration, that your blade is facing in the right direction. every fan that can work as a pusher or puller has a reversable blade, as they a MUCH more efficient in one direction than the other

:cheersL

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 07-15-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:07 PM

I've got a 14" electric fan that works great. Keeps me at about 1/3rd of the gauge.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Super, that looks like the same replacement rad I'm using, but I went with the smaller fan. I should have gone with that big motherin' S bladed one you have.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 PM

CSF Cooling makes a 3 row radiator. I'm using one in my 4runner. Works great, cost $180+tax from a local import auto place here in Washington.

No mods to make it work, fit was perfect. Still using the stock fan clutch assembly, which I think is on it's last leg. Engine runs a little cooler, but the stock gauge isn't worth a whole lot in my opinion. Needle sits slightly below half and fluctuates slightly depending on conditions.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 PM

super and robD what manufacture of them radiators you got there? thanks conrad, the fan is a flex a lite 116 16''
Old 07-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by conrad
CSF Cooling makes a 3 row radiator. I'm using one in my 4runner. Works great, cost $180+tax from a local import auto place here in Washington.

No mods to make it work, fit was perfect. Still using the stock fan clutch assembly, which I think is on it's last leg. Engine runs a little cooler, but the stock gauge isn't worth a whole lot in my opinion. Needle sits slightly below half and fluctuates slightly depending on conditions.
I just bought a CSF 3 row from www.autohausaz.com for $209 delivered to MD. Looks just like the OEM but maybe a tiny bit lighter. Gonna install it this weekend!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:13 AM

I put in a Rad from performance rad. in Denver CO

I put this in in June, but I just replaced the clutch and w.p.

I am not sure if this is a 3 row or not, but it was a "better than oem" replacement according to the salesman due to less restrictive internals. Im not sure if this is a "3row" or not though. I never had cooling problems wheelin', it's just coming into summer and it was time for a flush anyway. It mounted right up and was about an inch and a half thicker than the stocker unit. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails cooling?-new_radiator.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
I just bought a CSF 3 row from www.autohausaz.com for $209 delivered to MD. Looks just like the OEM but maybe a tiny bit lighter. Gonna install it this weekend!

Mine fit right in, it will be an easy install. Just a heads up, at the bottom of the radiator there is two additional fittings that the stock radiator does not have. This really confused me, because there are no other outlets that are supposed to come out at the bottom besides the drain plug and the lower hose.

Turns out that they are both blocked off from the factory, you don't have to clamp them off or run them anywhere. It was a little concerning until I ran some water through it to find out what was up with the extra outlets.

This probably doesn't make sense right now but it will when you get it!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by conrad
Mine fit right in, it will be an easy install. Just a heads up, at the bottom of the radiator there is two additional fittings that the stock radiator does not have. This really confused me, because there are no other outlets that are supposed to come out at the bottom besides the drain plug and the lower hose.

Turns out that they are both blocked off from the factory, you don't have to clamp them off or run them anywhere. It was a little concerning until I ran some water through it to find out what was up with the extra outlets.

This probably doesn't make sense right now but it will when you get it!

Those are for an auto transmission; they are separate internally from the water/coolant~
Old 07-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Perfect place to plumb in your low pressure side of the power steering
ALmost factory power steering cooler!! I cant wait to do this mod
Old 07-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit

Those are for an auto transmission; they are separate internally from the water/coolant~
Oh, that makes a lot more sense. Does anyone have a writeup of a power steering cooler ran through the CSF radiator?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
Perfect place to plumb in your low pressure side of the power steering
ALmost factory power steering cooler!! I cant wait to do this mod
I considered pluming the oil through mine with an adapter somehow for an oil cooler, but I wander just how much pressure you can run through it
Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
well, it can withstand the pressures of the auto tranny, then why not the motor oil?