Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coolant leak in the back of 3VZE

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the tips. i'm all too familiar with brittle old plastic and rusted bolts. and nothing is more frustrating to me to dive in for a 30min job only to not have the right $3 part to complete the job properly.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by woodendude
In the above picture right above the exhaust crossover pipe you see a U(upside down u) black coolant pipe. That went on mine, I was able to change it out with out removing anything but I did have to scrape the hell out of my hand to do it. And a set of the long handled curved needle nose pliers helps big time!

That's where mine is leaking, at that upside down U hose. The side that connects onto the distribution block. I tried moving the clamp and it stopped leaing for a day but it started again.

I am gonna just replace the whole hose....but getting back there is NOT easy at all.

The only way I can get to the clamps is with the long handled needled nose, both straight and curved.

I think I'm gonna take the hood off which should make it easier to get back there, but I am gonna try and do it without taking the plenum off. I scraped the hell out of my hand also, just trying to move the clamps.

Woodendude any hints or advise?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by mmcpeck
That's where mine is leaking, at that upside down U hose. The side that connects onto the distribution block. I tried moving the clamp and it stopped leaing for a day but it started again.

I am gonna just replace the whole hose....but getting back there is NOT easy at all.

The only way I can get to the clamps is with the long handled needled nose, both straight and curved.

I think I'm gonna take the hood off which should make it easier to get back there, but I am gonna try and do it without taking the plenum off. I scraped the hell out of my hand also, just trying to move the clamps.

Woodendude any hints or advise?
It was a hard task but can be done :-) I used a long handled straight set of needle nose and came in from the top to open the clamps and worked the hoses loose with the durved set and my hands.. Duct tape the back edges of the plenum, mine had razor sharp edges and I actually have scars from it now. I also recommend buying the exact hose from the dealership, I was rushed and used a piece I had around, it would have been much easier with a correctly bent/molded hose. It probably took me an hour or more but I did stop at few times to let my hand rest as it was bleeding and sore.

Derek
Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 AM

Thanks Derek. Yeah I may wear some of those mechanic's gloves when I try it, I hate those things, but my hands are already cut up from just messing around back there feeling around.

Did you take the hood off or is there enough room without doing that. I basically had to lay on top of the engine just to see the hose back there, so I figured popping the hood off would at least give me some more light and clearance for my head.

Did you take any of the heater lines off? Looks like it would be alot easier if they were out of the way.

Anybody know what that U shaped hose is officially called, so I can go to the dealer and pick it up? I guess I could always bring the picture.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you have a body lift?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:37 AM

No, stock height.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No, stock height.
Ok, never mind then. I was going to suggest raising the tranny up some to get you more room behind the engine but without a body lift you wouldn't get much from that effort.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 AM

Any idea what the offiicial name for that hose is?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:19 AM

Thanks Derek. Yeah I may wear some of those mechanic's gloves when I try it, I hate those things, but my hands are already cut up from just messing around back there feeling around.

Did you take the hood off or is there enough room without doing that. I basically had to lay on top of the engine just to see the hose back there, so I figured popping the hood off would at least give me some more light and clearance for my head.

Did you take any of the heater lines off? Looks like it would be alot easier if they were out of the way.

Anybody know what that U shaped hose is officially called, so I can go to the dealer and pick it up? I guess I could always bring the picture.

Thanks.
Not sure of the "official" name for that hose but I've heard it called the J hose. I didn't take the hood off and never considered it, I did all my work from the passenger side of the motor while on a footstool....lotsa fun!!!! I also didn't remove any other hoses or lines.

Derek
Old 02-09-2009, 01:47 PM

Its called a water bypass pipe, which is under the lower plenum. Had the same problem with mine and it cost $90-$100 at toyota dealer, i dont suggest getting it from juck yard. Also can be the freeze plugs on the back of the block.

Last edited by Renegade92; 02-09-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Renegade....I think you're talking about something different.

Derek...thanks, I'll just take the picture over to the dealer, and get whatever it's called. Really not looking forward to doing this job, but I will try anything not to have to take that plenum off, and I know that's the first thing a shop or the dealer would do. Take that plenum off and bill me for 5 hours of labor, just to replace a small hose.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:40 PM

When you find out what it is could you let me know? Would like to find out as much as possible about the coolent system on the 3VZE.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:52 PM

http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/4R...%20diagram.jpg
Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 PM

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...&ct=image&cd=1
Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 PM

Hope those help.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:56 PM

2/3 down the linked page is where I found the pics.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:11 PM

Any idea what the offiicial name for that hose is?
"Yougottabe*&^%$kiddingme!" or "PITA-H"

Probably a bit late to chime in with this but when our mechanic/friend did his coolant stuff, he also went ahead and did the timing belt (not necessarily needed) and also the pulley tensioner neck, as his had developed a leak through the FIPG. While you're in there also check out your oil cooler line that's on the left of the block (looks like a fist sized canister) and has an oil line running up to the front of the block. Both tend to be skipped on general repairs and are vital parts.

I'm curious if anybody's developed a hard-line (steel or copper) solution for this problem of a rubber hose over an exhaust crossover.
What about putting on a braided coolant line if available?
Just cut off the metal nexk and use a metal fitting?

Last edited by KelleyC; 07-18-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:30 AM

By the way woodendude....THANKS for the link, those pics help and now I know which part to order.

Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:41 PM

i also got a mysterious leak i dont know where its coming from but there shouldnt be water leaking out of the cylinder head right. cause its all oil right.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:45 PM

i got the same mysterious leak to but there shouldnt be any water coming out of the cylinder heads

Quick Reply: Coolant leak in the back of 3VZE