86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coolant everywhere!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant everywhere!!!

I was driving my truck today just like any other day...I drove about 20minutes and stopped in the drivethrough for food.I get about a block away from the food place and end up seeing steam out of the hood...I havent looked at the coolant temp gauge all day cause the thing runs ice cold all the time and never has had any heat problems.Well its at the middle of the gauge maybea bit more and for my truck thats HOT. I figure its about to over heat so i kick on the heat and am bout 5 houses from where i need to be.I cost to a stop with the truck at idle and the coolant was coming down.I shut it off and pop the hood...I have coolant all over the passengers side fender well and the passengers side of the motor. Im looking around and cant see where its coming from.I try to start it to see where its coming but it wasnt sprayin anything or dripping anymore....IM SO LOST!!! anyideas of what could have broken on that side to cause this? I was thinking the pipe that runs under the manifold and back along the top of the tranny to the heater core? Its a 22r and the motors new.I am thinking the worst and sayin headgasket but wishing the best thinking a gasket or hose.Please give me some ideas of things to check or test to run if there are any toyota comman coolant blow out problems

Thanks
Russell

BTW the truck is about 20 minutes from my house sitting in a neighbor hood i dont know how safe it is over night. Its got an alarm but thats just tunes for the thiefs to dance to
Old 11-18-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Refill the coolant start it up and start driving home. At the first sign on leakage pull off the road, leave engine running, pop hood and take a good look to see where it is leaking.

It might only leak when the coolant is under pressure, like when hot. just keep an eye on the temps and limp it home. Oh and bring a lot of water just in case.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by suprathepeg
Refill the coolant start it up and start driving home. At the first sign on leakage pull off the road, leave engine running, pop hood and take a good look to see where it is leaking.

It might only leak when the coolant is under pressure, like when hot. just keep an eye on the temps and limp it home. Oh and bring a lot of water just in case.
Couldn't have said it better...
Have someone Follow you with a tow rope (if they have the vechile to do so)
My freinds water pump went on his jeep...
He was to affraid to limp it home So I ended up towin him
Old 11-18-2006, 11:50 PM

The scare i have is warping the head.I have way too much work to do right now to be ixing this thing. the other thing is towing it.Im going to grab a friend have them drive the sc back because i dont know anyone else with a truck that could pull this thats will be around for like a week. Im wondering if the radiator took a poop.I had got the truck when i was 14 and it had been hit.My dad trying to save me money had the one that was in there during the wreck pressure tested and it was fine now about 10 years later and 1000000 comments about how it looked im having cooling issues....thats the first thought. The 2nd could be the pipe under the manifold.I was thinking back and when we installed the motor the coolant lines were different.I had a stock of rubber O rings and we found one the same size and threw it on.It could be that it wasnt up to the test.It fits kinda how the splatter was. I guess i will limp it home to see what happens.

Does anyoe have a picture of the parts for the manifold on a 22r?I need to go to the dealer and get the manual but i was tryin to hold off tel the next batch of parts came in. If i can find the O ring maybe i can find one at a parts store and fix it before i drive it if thats th issue. I really dont want to be redoing the top end of this motor.