Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Coolant Everywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Everywhere!

Hey there, I am wondering if anyones know where the leak came from. I turned into a gas station got out and noticed coolant POURING out from underneath. I tried to look to see where it was coming from, but all I could determine is that the radiator is fine, resevoir is fine. the leak looks like its back a little.
91 4-runner V6 3VZE
Old 10-04-2006, 12:28 PM

Don't mean to scare you, but when that happened to me it was because my water pump decided to s*** the bed... :|
Old 10-04-2006, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by da_bigg_wigg
Don't mean to scare you, but when that happened to me it was because my water pump decided to s*** the bed... :|
I agree. sounds like a water pump to me.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:05 PM

Check your water pump and their are two tubes that go back from the water pump. One is the coolant flow to the IAC and the other sends the coolant to the heater core. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:05 PM

Man, I replaced it (the water pump) less than a year ago.....I hope not that was a little time consuming. I'm going back to check and see if I can pinpoint it. If I remember correctyl the majority of the puddling was closer to the Passenger side front tire if that narrows it down.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

I doubt it was a coolant plug, but you never know. Sounds like water pump, or bad hose.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:35 PM

i say freeze plug.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:01 PM

check your radiator cap. mine wasn't getting a good seal and it was pouring out. just a thought!!
Old 10-04-2006, 03:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im going to scare you even more...

I had the same thing happend about 6 months before my BHG showed any signs. I had broken my lower radiator hose clamp so I used 2 cheapie hose clamps on it. It still leaked and I attributed it to and old hose and cheapie clamps. Because of this it would leak when the system was pressurized....

Well unbeknownst to me, my #6 HG failed internally, ever so slightly and it would over time pressurized my coolant system! Over the period of a month I'd have to add about 1/2 gallon to the coolant system. As time wore on it got worse, then one day when I went to start one cylinder wouldnt fire until warmed up!!

I hope its just your radiator cap taking a crap, but.....
Old 10-04-2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Im going to scare you even more...
You weren't kidding. Best of luck it's something stupid and easy to take care of, dude.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:31 PM

OK, I was able to add some water, and drive it home ( about 1 mile), drove fine no overheating, but when I parked it and turned it off it just poured all over the place. It is real hard to tell where it is coming from, but I now know, it doesnt leak when its started up, or driving but it pours out when you park it and shut it off......any ideas
Old 10-04-2006, 07:04 PM

the best idea would be to top off the radiator and pressurize the cooling system with a cooling system pressure tester tool. Then try to pinpoint where its puking out.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tempeboy
OK, I was able to add some water, and drive it home ( about 1 mile), drove fine no overheating, but when I parked it and turned it off it just poured all over the place. It is real hard to tell where it is coming from, but I now know, it doesnt leak when its started up, or driving but it pours out when you park it and shut it off......any ideas
mine did the exact same thing. once you park it it is building up a lot pf pressure. check your cap! make sure there is nothing coming from there. top it off, drive it for a few minutes, go back HOME and immediately pop the hood and wait to see where it is coming from.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:16 AM

had something like that happen to me. it turned out to be one of the hoses located at the rear of the engine (behind the tps) had collapsed and started to leak. when the coolent poured out, it came out on the passenger side behind the wheel well. I didnt catch it previously because when the coolant leaked it fell on the exhaust pipe and evaporate. the only clue i really had of a coolant leak was the smell of coolant everytime i floored it on the highway.

hope this helps.........
Old 10-05-2006, 01:04 PM

Thanx all for the help so far i'm on a mission to find it today...i say mission because I live in apartments, and they dont like it when you work on your vehicle...so i have to be stealth
Old 10-05-2006, 01:34 PM

I sprung a leak from the small hose that goes to the oil cooler. I paid 35.00 for both of them from the $tealer
Old 10-06-2006, 05:43 PM

OK what I have found so far is that the leak is coming from the back (between the engine and the firewall) and left if you are looking at it from the front of the vehicle. Its gotta be around that area...any ideas? :\
Old 10-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

OK what I have found so far is that the leak is coming from the back (between the engine and the firewall) and left if you are looking at it from the front of the vehicle. Its gotta be around that area...any ideas? :\
Heater hose perhaps?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:59 AM

If it was a freeze plug, how do you replace that...also I heard that there are rubber expansion plugs that work if the freeze plug is hard to get too, anyone know how those work???
Old 10-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's a pic of that area:

Quick Reply: Coolant Everywhere!