Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Convert 1st gen 4runner to a pickup, keeping the hard top

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey zdan!

what do you think of this: find a pickup tailgate, drop in where your tailgate is, THEN use YOUR tailgate to replace the wood you built. THEN YOU CAN USE THE MOTOR IN THE TAILGATE FOR POWER REAR WINDOW ON YOUR CAB! what do you think? it's even carpeted on the inside.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest with you, I dont know what the big deal is about it! Its done, thats one less hardtop for the entire toyota community to use
Old 09-26-2009, 02:18 PM

Also, he doesnt even have a 4runner!!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Wow, your a real ignorant one aren't you...

quit your bitchin. Nobody cares that you had a minor heartattack since he cut his top up....
all you're doing is offering up insults to a stranger... and i'm ignorant? who's having the heart attack?

conversation and disagreement aren't bad things. people disapprove of this "mod", why does that make it bitching? rather than lash out, offer your $0.02 (isn't that what the boards are all about anyway?)

I guess people should only do mods that you feel there is "purpose" for..
did i say that? before you type whatever

oh, and nice rig btw, the LEDs in the dash are very cool (seriously)
Old 09-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
I'd have just bought a soft top...
Old 09-26-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I see so many wrecked 4runners with mint tops..cry me a river
Come to my state, you don't see 4runners with parts on them anymore.
He asked opinions on the mod, we delivered. That's not ignorance at all.

My opinion is that he shouldnt cut up a perfectly good 4runner top to achieve the same thing he could with a truck.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a great laugh about it

great mod!
Old 09-27-2009, 01:33 AM

Great Job, I wish I had gotten a 4runner and made into a pickup.

next mod, BoB the Bed
Old 09-27-2009, 11:04 PM

this is why extended cabs are the !!!! carry people and toys!
Old 09-28-2009, 04:28 PM
BMC

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
now you need one of these for where the seats use to be.

Ok sorry to interrup all the arguing but where can you get one of these. I have never seen one of these before and i never use my back seats. That would be great to have for more cargo space keeping the floor flat.

Oh and by the way nice work. It thats what you want then im glad you did it. I wish you lived closer i would buy the top off of you. I want to purchase another top and CHOP it up and make a half top for the summer.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:00 PM

1989toy4wd..Your axles look soo sexy in your avatar..SORRY had to throw that in..And bigblue pile..I dont remember..and im not going back to check..but i think im mentioned a soft top..Those always look sick..Example..The LCEngineering red pickup..that thing looks awsome..
Old 09-28-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by BMC
Ok sorry to interrup all the arguing but where can you get one of these. I have never seen one of these before and i never use my back seats. That would be great to have for more cargo space keeping the floor flat.
i think they have these for sale at the i-really-wanted-a-pickup-but-all-i-got-was-this-lousy-4runner store

hahahaha sorry, couldn't resist (come on 4runner people, it's joke!)

?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
now you need one of these for where the seats use to be.

All joking aside, that is a Toyota Factory Seat Delete plate. 4Runners were imported stateside as only having front seats, so as to lower the import duties on them, classifying them as not passenger vehicles. Either at the port of entry, or in some cases, the dealerships, these were removed and seats installed, with this part usually going to the scrap pile. Pretty rare to find a factory one still intact, and somewhat hard to find as a complete piece as a reproduced Toyota part. Most aftermarket reproduction parts are so thin, they usually buckle, the Toyota part was strong and worth having. If you ever find one, snatch it up quick.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think it looks really sweet i might do that and call it a day if i didnt have 2 kids in my truck lol but could you get pictures of the inside at the top so i can see how you bolted it to the roof of the truck and the sides i see how the bottom got bolted but the rest i wanna know how here!!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:16 PM

Well.... I love my 99' 4runner but I work for Bigfoot 4x4. And I have seen many hack jobs and people doing stuff to there trucks around here but I would have to say that is one of the nicest I have seen. I know im just a guy on the internet so my opinion doesnt mean much but I love it. I think it was a great job and hey from what I can tell It was done right and If your happy with it thats all that matters. Now I think what would be cool is taking like a 99 and doing that to it. Now it would be a waste of a good 99 but use a SR5 not a nice limited with leather seats lol just saying.

Good Job Man. I like it. and most importantly have fun and tread lightly.

-Mark
Old 09-28-2009, 09:31 PM

Powered rear window wolud be great?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RMP8080
Powered rear window wolud be great?
Yeah he could have picked up a working tailgate from a junkyard rig and welded it in place for a bulkhead behind the seats. Install the chopped back end of the top, plug in the harness (with a modification or two) and you now have a pickup with a power rear window.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Very cool!

Only question is, did I read correctly that you used wood? Thats the only part that is sketchy to me. Why not do it right the first time?

Its still an awesome modification, I really like the idea. I'd be all over this, but I think I would go back a little bit, try to find that factory insert piece, and use a tailgate to make the window go up and down still. Plus, back a little farther would give you the room of an extra cab.

Nice thinking outside the box.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 AM
User Requested Ban

What ever happened to Built not Bought ?

A person who puts a SAS under their truck should just trade their IFS for someone who has already done the swap and not expand their knowledge themselves?

If people flexing their "builder's muscle" is such a bad thing, a few monuments and world landmarks come to mind. That were built just to see if "we could".

I LOVE his idea, it's entirely reversible. Now I probably would have learned to fiberglass to make a replacement top, but I would have cut up my old top anyways to get the molds.

To each his own, but when you're in your 4 runner hauling stuff in winter and freezing, dont complain. He'll be riding next to you at a comfortable 80 degrees
Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone, I did the mod about 2 weeks ago and so far i absolutely LOVE it. In my opinion it looks great but I will need to do some fine tuning. I hauled my dirtbike and ATV without any problem and it is water proof! I put a coating of spray bedliner on the wood and gravel guard on the bed. So far, I'm not freezing, the cab now warms up faster than before, smaller area to warm!

For a truck I paid 1500$ CAN, i cannot complain. Also, there's alot of used OEM hard tops available here in Quebec.

@AxleIke : yep, i used wood. I think I will try it for a season and if it seems okay, I will keep the wood.

@tj884Rdlx : it sure would be nice, didn't think about it ;P

Took pics yesterday :

Last edited by zdanz; 10-05-2009 at 05:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Convert 1st gen 4runner to a pickup, keeping the hard top