86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Console Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Console Question

Hey all.. New to the forum but love the amount of info on here. Used to have a 97 Tacoma for years.. Had to get rid of it and finally ended up with another Truck. 92 Toyota with rebuilt 22re. Love the truck so far and am excited to learn and share about it on here. Right now I have leather bucket seats with no arm rest. Sounds pretty material but I feel naked without and arm rest. Was thinking that the easiest thing to do would be to put in a decent size center console. I basically need to fill an area 8.5" wide X 12" or so tall and im thinking 22" or so long. I have been shopping online and just cant seem to find a decent one without spending big bucks. Im curious what other people have done... Pics would be awesome but any info would be much appreciated. I also have the 2 cup holder pull out right below my heat controls.. But the bottom part is not there.. basically only a frame with two holes that pulls out. Anyone know how to fix this? Where to purchase a new one? Lots of info here i know. I again want to say thanks ahead of time for any info and or pics you guys have!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for. Some just throw in an ammo can and call it good, others put in the center console out of a 4Runner (don't know if they came in the trucks), while others just build a console from scratch to suit personal needs.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:56 AM

i got a console out of a 4 runner from junk yard, wii hit it on the head tho, use the search on here and be rewarded with a wealth of console knowledge
Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Ive seen cup holders on ebay.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:14 AM

I got the factory center console and love it. The 4runner one would work but the only thing with those is they came with the vent built into them so theres gonna be alot of extra stuff you dont need like piping and climate controls on the back. Plus if you got the 4runner the amount of storage is less than half.

If you got the factory pickup console its got a ton of storage. Mine has a ton storage for smaller things and a lower storage for larger things. Its also alot more comfortable than a ammo can. I can take a pic if you need it.

For the cup holder you will need to find the bottom part. I just dont think there is anyone getting around this and making it look good. You will also need the 2 metal little clips in a shape of a Z that hold the cup holder up. Mine didnt come with the lower part either so I had to find it. Seems like thats the very first thing that is taken from the trucks at the wrecking yard.

I would check the classifieds here or look on craigslist for someone parting there truck out. Im pretty sure the 4runner and truck are interchangeable with this too
Old 12-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

All SR5 trim trucks from 86-95 that had bucket seats came with a center console as did some DLX's if ordered with the bucket seat/console option...
there are some minor differences between the 86-88 and 89-95 consoles but they are generally cosmetic in nature the earlier ones are a little more squared off is all.
the taller section is secured to the floor with 4 bolts if you lioft the carpet you will see four tape circles covering the body nut holes for this, the front section that surrounds the shifters is held on by two brackets the front one is usually spot welded to the floor and the rear one by two bolts.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
swap in a 60/40 split bench maybe?