Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Complete swap from auto to manual, step by step

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Complete swap from auto to manual, step by step

Ok guys,
Here are the steps I took to take out my automatic transmission and install my manual transmission in my 86 pickup. Keep in mind, this is the order I done it.
Removal of Automatic
1. Disconnect all electrical wires going to the auto (I think there are 4 or 5 plugs)
2. Take your starter off
3. Remove the shifters from the floor (you have to disconnect the shift linkage on the transmission)
4. Unbolt the driveshafts
5. Start unbolting the transmission bolts
6. After the transmission is unbolted from the motor, jack up the oil pan and slide the transmission back. (It will only slide back about 3 inches)
7. Using a ratchet and 12mm socket, take out the 6 bolts bolting the torque converter to the flywheel
8. After doing this, you should be able to slide the transmission off.
It took us some snatching to get mine off. We figured it was from the mud, but it turns out it was the throttle cable holding it. After it snapped, it fell on the ground.
My advice is to go ahead the day before or whenever and install the clutch/brake assembly and slave cylinder. For me, it was about a 2-3 hour job.
Installation of Manual
Since you are changing the flywheel, you may as well go ahead and replace the rear main seal. (Saves work later)
1. Bolt the new flywheel in
2. Install clutch/pressure plate
3. Install throwout bearing
4. Cut holes in the floorboard for the new shifters
5. Align everything and bolt it in.
6. Re-attach driveshafts
7. Connect brake light plug
8. Install brake line to clutch master cylinder
9. Bleed clutch lines
10. Fire it up and take off!
I hope this helps folks, I’ll post pics as soon as I can. Some of you may have seen my threads asking questions about this swap. The story behind this truck is it’s a 1986 Toyota Pickup 4wd long bed. The odometer reads 498,000 miles. 2nd engine. Original automatic transmission I took out. My advice to anyone with these trucks with an automatic, SWAP IT. The automatic kills what little HP these trucks already have. Its too easy of a project to not do it. The lowest price I got having a garage do it was 750 dollars. I’ll be honest, it didn’t cause me 750 dollars worth of headache. It only took my friend and I 2 days to do the whole thing, and neither of us have transmission experience. If you have any questions, fire away!
Thanks guys,
Ryan
Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont you have to trick the ECU to think that the "trany is in N " ?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:04 PM

Can you use brake lines from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by just call me smithy
dont you have to trick the ECU to think that the "trany is in N " ?
Yes, the neutral safety switch has to be tricked. It is easy it is two wires in the engine bay i cant remember which ones... look at a wiring diagram
Originally Posted by SpecialScottie
Can you use brake lines from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder?
I would assume so if the brake line was the same as the line used for the clutch hydraulics. Im not sure if it is or not

I did this swap last august, took me two days. It was the first time I attempted anything of that proportion. If I can do it, you can
Old 02-17-2010, 03:57 AM

ok noob question: What happens if you dont "trick" the ecu into thinking it's in nuetral?

When I did mine I didnt do this. I guess the ecu still thinks its in park lol
Old 02-17-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4runr
ok noob question: What happens if you dont "trick" the ecu into thinking it's in nuetral?

When I did mine I didnt do this. I guess the ecu still thinks its in park lol
Brake line will work. The fittings are 3/8" and the size you will need is 3/16". I didn't have to trick the ecu because we already have a straight wire from the starter. 4x4runr, most of the time the truck won't start unless the auto is in park or neutral.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 PM

im new here...i just bought my truck and i have an automatic and i am wantin to do this swap...my tranny is a A43D and its havin problems shifting and i think the shift valves are stickin...i have a parts truck as well and it has a 5 spd...how will this work?and what do i need to do?..here my truck and the parts truck..mine is the blue one..

Old 03-25-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Park your truck and drive the parts truck...That's the easiest thing to do.

There are a bunch of threads on this. Read up and jump in.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...mplete-126323/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...-speed-187399/

Last edited by Lumpy; 03-25-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:27 PM

haha i wish i could do that..but i got the parts truck for 50$..i needed the rear diff because mine started leakin threw the wheel...and the previous owner is still payin for it and blew the motor up and just wanted 50$ with no title for it..also..it has the cluster with the battery voltage and rpm gauge and what not...is it just plug and play?..
Old 03-25-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Thats sounds like a seal on a wheel bearing not a Diff.

Read up it's all in here. Time to start a build thread and not clutter this one up with random banter.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 AM

so,i thought id bring this thread back ..hahah...so today i took the 5spd out of the parts truck...so far this is what i have in the back of my truck.. the 5spd tranny, flywheel,clutch,clutch cylinder,brake and clutch pedal assembly,ECM and the complete wiring harness that connects to the tranny,injectors,ecm,ac,airbox,etc....the only thing im trippin out on is the clutch pedal has a switch that it touches when the clutch is engaged and i belive that is the switch that lets you start it correct?....do i need that connector? or when i plug all my other stuff in my truck will it start without havin to push in the clutch?can someone please help me and tell me if i got everything i need to swap this out?? thx!

Last edited by 94YOTA928; 06-18-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:33 PM

1991-1995 auto to manual swap

Hey guys new here i have a problem with my swap I recently finished. So after i put everything together i turned the truck on and went for my first test drive but i felt lack of power taking off in first gear. The truck is always high in rpm’s while driving and just to reach 35mph i have to be in 5th gear can you guys help me find my problem? thank you
Old 09-28-2020, 03:45 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Junior Sanchez
Hey guys new here i have a problem with my swap I recently finished. So after i put everything together i turned the truck on and went for my first test drive but i felt lack of power taking off in first gear. The truck is always high in rpm’s while driving and just to reach 35mph i have to be in 5th gear can you guys help me find my problem? thank you
Transfer case in 4lo?
The following users liked this post:
SomedayJ (10-14-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Transfer case in 4lo?
no i checked everything i could and the transfer case is in the regular mode 2hi
Old 10-01-2020, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driveshafts are different ???

Did you have to swap the driveshafts as I notice my auto and manual trans are different lengths ?
Old 10-01-2020, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nativewrights
Did you have to swap the driveshafts as I notice my auto and manual trans are different lengths ?
i didnt swap the driveshafts it seems fine to me but i will definitely be looking at that today thank you
Old 10-01-2020, 08:59 AM

no i checked everything i could and the transfer case is in the regular mode 2hi
Please give your engine speed in rpm, tire size, axle ratio, when you vehicle ground speed is maxing at 35mph in 5th gear..
Old 10-03-2020, 10:42 PM

Please give your engine speed in rpm, tire size, axle ratio, when you vehicle ground speed is maxing at 35mph in 5th gear..
so my rpm is around 4500 at 35 mph and im already in 5th gear and im not sure on my axle ratio
Old 10-04-2020, 06:52 AM

so my rpm is around 4500 at 35 mph and im already in 5th gear and im not sure on my axle ratio
You left out the important information of tire size and gear ratio, both are on the Vin plate in the driver's door..

I'm going to guess a 5.29 ratio and ~27" tires. With your transfer case in low range this puts right about 35mph in 5th gear and 4500rpm..

It's either low range like I mentioned or you're clutch is slipping really bad and I expect you'd smell this..
Old 10-04-2020, 10:07 AM

You left out the important information of tire size and gear ratio, both are on the Vin plate in the driver's door..

I'm going to guess a 5.29 ratio and ~27" tires. With your transfer case in low range this puts right about 35mph in 5th gear and 4500rpm..

It's either low range like I mentioned or you're clutch is slipping really bad and I expect you'd smell this..
sorry I forgot to mention my tire size. Im currently running on 35’s but i dont know how to find my gear ratio it doesn't say anything about it in my vin plate

Quick Reply: Complete swap from auto to manual, step by step