86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold start o2's and more

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold start o2's and more

edit: 1991 toyota 22re single cab 2 wd short bed.

-Cold start injector send a code if bad?or stuck open?

-O2 censor is it possible for it to go bad and not send a code or be gummed up or something?

-what are some signs i can look for in a bad catalytic converter?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what size body lift kit do i need for 29-10.50/15LT tsl sx swampers?

Does anyone know where to get cheap lift kits? but good.

and where to get cheap tsl swampers sx as well?

Last edited by Relyks; 06-28-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 PM

O2 sensor can go soft and not cause a CEL.
Cold start can stick open and does not CEL, Engine runs rich or floods.
Bad CAT has high CD.

What is your real problem?, Failing smog?

29" tires change rear gears to 4.30
Old 06-24-2012, 08:15 PM

Unless you're running a 2wd you don't need any lift for those tires, even then, you probably won't. I've fit 33's on stock IFS trucks more than once without trimming.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What's a "Cold Start Valve up stream and down stream"?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
What's a "Cold Start Valve up stream and down stream"?
I think what he means by that is the cold start injector, and as far as up stream and down stream he means 02's, but these trucks are OBD0 and OBD1 so they should only have 1 02 sensor.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:43 PM

My 91 has 2 O2's. My 88 has 1.
Both have the same diagnostic check connector.

Last edited by abecedarian; 06-24-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 PM

Now, I will say that the Cold Start Injector, on any year 22re up to 94-95, should only spray when cranking the engine, and that is controlled by the temperature sensed by the "Cold Start Injector Time Switch".

That doesn't mean the CSI won't leak, but it should not spray fuel unless the engine is being cranked to start and the CSITS says the engine is cold.

Last edited by abecedarian; 06-24-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:04 PM

Punchy i am pretty new to this what is "CD" "CAT" "CEL" and Smog i am pretty young. so sorry for asking , just trying to learn.

my problem is my truck runs rich and i get bad gas mileage so i am thinking it could be O2 censor or a bad cold start injector. and yes i did mean down and up stream for the O2 censors.

also about the lift it has to have it or wheels will scrape the wheel wells it is a 2wd toyota pick up 22re short bed on 29"x10.50/15LT TSL SX Swampers.

and there for sure is 2 O2 Censors.

- also i wanna know how to check if i got a bad catalytic converter and TPS/Fuel pressure regulator? these could be factors but i dont know how to check them?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:20 PM

bump. working and diagnostics on my truck this weekend need to know what else to look for.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Start here, when was the last time you gave your truck a complete tune up ?, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, and fuel filter. I have found that the 02 sensors tend to be one of the most over looked parts on a toyota. If your truck has still has the original 02 sensors they should be replaced. If there original or have a lot of miles on them you can just about figure that there bad, and a bad 02 sensor can cause rich or lean conditions if there bad. It would also be a good idea to remove the throttle body and give it a good cleaning.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 PM

i did a full tune up around couple months ago

-spark plugs
-plug wires
-cap/rotor
-pcv valve
-oil/filter
-belts
-radiator flush
-thermostat
-Fuel filter
-air filter
-fuel tank
-fuel pump
-sea foam through system

also some other useless things
heater is bypassed , harmonic balancer is new , brake master cyclinder is new , timing is a little under , ac belt is not on.

i am pretty sure the o2's are original o2's censors but it has 118k miles on it.

alos dont know if this means anything but this yota starts with a J Vin meaning its not form fresno cali? japan right? someone said something in another post about 1 o2 when they start making and distributing them in US or i may have that backwards. OR i could be completely wrong.

Last edited by Relyks; 06-28-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:48 PM

If your 02 sensor has 118K miles on it, its bad for sure. I know the 85-88 truck and 4Runners with a 22RE only had one 02 sensor, and im going to guess your truck only has one 02 sensor as well.

If your 02 sensor is bad it will effect your gas mileage and power and it could make your truck run rich or lean. I would recommend that you replace the 02 sensor as soon as you can.

Make sure to buy a Denso 02 sensor. DO NOT buy a Bosch 02 sensor, because they don`t work in toyotas.

Last edited by myyota; 06-28-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 PM

Well, fix your timing first of all, if you know it's off there's no reason for you to not set it correctly. Did it have this trouble before you seafoamed it? I wouldn't be surprised at all if you blew a bunch of crap loose with the seafoam that immediately found a new home on your 02 sensors. To check the FPR the best way is with a fuel pressure gauge. I have to disagree with the above post though, so long as it's a direct replacement, any quality name brand o2 sensors will work for you. DO NOT buy the universal, wire it yourself jobs. You're talking about a signal that is less than a volt, you don't want any extra resistance throwing it off.

To check the cat, there are a couple ways. Quick and easy that I do every time I'm under a car, smack the bottom of the cat, if you hear rattling from the inside, it's bad. The other is to go for a drive or hold the truck at 2500-3000 rpm for a couple minutes, then check the temperature of the pipe before and after the cat. It should be hotter immediately after the converter.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 PM

like i said above i work on it this weekend i am out of state in pigeon forge tennessee right now and i have to go to a family members house to work on it the timing is below

so no comments on the cold start injector , tps , or anything else that could be causing it? im for sure going to change out the o2's anything to physically look for? and around the back of my head gasket i have a lot of gummy oil? bad head gasket? or just a little oil leak? only sign of my truck running rich i have so far is terrible gas mileage and the smell. so anything more physical to look for?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Relyks
like i said above i work on it this weekend i am out of state in pigeon forge tennessee right now and i have to go to a family members house to work on it the timing is below

so no comments on the cold start injector , tps , or anything else that could be causing it? im for sure going to change out the o2's anything to physically look for? and around the back of my head gasket i have a lot of gummy oil? bad head gasket? or just a little oil leak? only sign of my truck running rich i have so far is terrible gas mileage and the smell. so anything more physical to look for?
TPS has nothing to do with your fuel trim. The cold start could be sticking or spraying all the time, easy way to tell would be to simply unplug it and see if your problem goes away or at least gets better. The half moon rubber plugs at either end of the head harden with age and will leak, a valve cover gasket set is cheap and will come with all you need to fix that problem.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:29 PM

TrikeKid

Im guessing you don`t know much about toyotas, otherwise you wouldn`t have said that any direct replacement 02 sensor will work. If you would take the time to do some searching here you will find a lot of people here that have bought Bosch or other off brand 02 sensors only to find out that they won`t operate properly if at all in a toyota.

So to save a lot of problems you should always use a Denso 02 sensor in a toyota. That way your not wasting your money on a generic part that won`t work.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Relyks

You can test the tps to see if its adjusted properly and its in spec. Another thing that helps control the air fuel ratio is the air flow meter. You should test it to make sure its also in spec and doesn`t have and dead spots, if it does then its bad.

If you search here you will find how to check the tps and air flow meter.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:16 PM

thanks ill search them topics
Old 07-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
TrikeKid

Im guessing you don`t know much about toyotas, otherwise you wouldn`t have said that any direct replacement 02 sensor will work. If you would take the time to do some searching here you will find a lot of people here that have bought Bosch or other off brand 02 sensors only to find out that they won`t operate properly if at all in a toyota.

So to save a lot of problems you should always use a Denso 02 sensor in a toyota. That way your not wasting your money on a generic part that won`t work.
I'm a tech, this is what I do every day. The correct part, regardless of manufacturer will work. That said, on the whole, Denso blows Bosch out of the water quality wise. I can't say that it will work better, but it is more likely to work much, much longer.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by TrikeKid
I'm a tech, this is what I do every day. The correct part, regardless of manufacturer will work. That said, on the whole, Denso blows Bosch out of the water quality wise. I can't say that it will work better, but it is more likely to work much, much longer.
Like I said before, no it won`t. There have been many people on this board that have bought Bosch 02 sensor, and for what ever reason they just didn`t work in there toyotas. They then bought a Toyota / Denso 02 sensor and it fixed the problem.

Do a search here some time and you will see all the problems people have had with Bosch 02 sensors and you will see what im talking about. There are a few here that have been able to get them to work, but very few.

Quick Reply: Cold start o2's and more