Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cold air on Passenger floor

Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air on Passenger floor

I get heat on the drivers side and my defroster works well. But at the passenger side foot it blows cold.
face vents, defrost and drivers foot blow warm.
Hot cold lever definately changes heat from hot to cool at the defrost. I confirmed both cables are attached and working. I can hear the door close at the passenger foot. and obviously the water valve under the hood is switching.
the recirc/fresh is working.
the floor/vents/defr lever seems to do what it is supposed to do.

my truck is an early 1995 w/ 22re with NO AC.

Does the truck have two separate cores? The hole for air at the foot of the passenger looks to me like it comes out before the heater core which would be stupid. is there a good drawing of how these ducts work and how the air is routed? seems like something pretty basic is wrong but I cannot find it. I'm certainly not pulling the dash out in this weather.
my next recourse is to simply block off the hole at the passenger foot.
any ideas?
its getting really cold here in Canada... please help.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You get air out of the duct, but it's not hot?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:32 PM

exactly
Old 01-15-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hmmm... maybe the heater core is internally plugged in the areas that the air to the passenger ducts would pass through?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

abe, i think the core would still get hot even if one section is plugged...

thats a really weird problem. maybe the problem is the shutters that switch from vent to recycle?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the heater duct from the fan housing to the heater box, make sure its hooked up properly and that there are no gaps in the ducts that cold air can blow out of.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

The truck has a single core no left/right separate the truck is'int that fancy..
the intake air to the whole system is above the pax feet at the base of the windshield. The intake duct may be a little loose or most likely the supply duct has become disconnected... the cross cab duct connects to the main trunk of the heater roughly behind the centre vents this one feeds the defroster and the outer vents . The pax side foot vent often gets covered by the carpet shifting it is right at the floor [on top of the tranny tunnel] about where your left toe hits as you sit in the seat (maybe 6-8" back from the firewall). If it gets covered all the floor heat comes to the driver's side.
I'd bet even money your carpet has shifted and is covering the foot vent.

Just re-read the OP if the "foot vent" is blowing cold then it might also be a combination of the the cabin/fresh air flapper not sealing properly allowing cold air through into the cabin (the cabin intake is just above the pax feet area), or there may also be a crack in the fan housing/connection to the heater allowing the air to escape blowing on the pax feet before it gets to the core. And the pax heat outlet being blocked by the carpet.

Last edited by aviator; 01-15-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Hey thanks for the feedback.
your affirmation that there is only one heater core prompted me to look more closely and I think I found the problem. but I need some more confirmation.

There is a hole in the plenum between the fan at the right of the dash and the heater core in the middle of the dash. The cold air is coming from this hole. warm air comes from the foot heat vent on the passenger side. The hole in this plenum looks like it is supposed to be there so I assumed this is where the warm air is supposed to come from but I think it may be an access hole that should have a plug of some sort in it.
I stuffed a chunk of sponge in this hole and all heat seems correct now.

Can someone confirm that there is this access hole in the plenum that should be blocked off normally.
I can take a picture if need be. I haven't found anything online that shows this plenum.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:25 PM

i took a picture. when I look at it blown up it is apparent to me that this hole is NOT supposed to be in my plenum.
i've uploaded a medium size picture of the hole.
Someone must have kicked a hole in the plenum at some point.
Attached Thumbnails Cold air on Passenger floor-picture-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Joust; 01-18-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thats your problem right there, that hole shouldn`t be there. It looks like it cracked or some how someone knocked a hole in that duct. You can either replace that duct, or use some duct tape to repair the hole. Do take the foam out though, its will block the air flow.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

OH yeah that hole should not be there at all...
quick semi perm fix--- clean surrounding area with some nail polish remover, dry it then use some metal duct seal tape and patch it.
perm. fix get a piece of sheet metal and cut it out so that it covers the whole bottom of the box, file the edges smooth and paint one side flat black, when it has dried apply contact cement to the flat bottom of the plenum box and the unpainted side of the metal sheet, wait a min. ot two for the "tack" to build up then carefully attach the plate to the box (you will have only one shot at this so be really careful fitting it up), in a few mins it will be set tight and "viola" yer done.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:31 AM

Have the same issue on 2001 4Runner and still trying to find the problem. At least I can't see holes anywhere, but the passenger area is cold. Got a testing procedure last night, but didn't had a time to check. Will try today. And yes, its cold up here in Canada...
Old 01-19-2010, 03:59 AM

just a quick peek underneath makes that hole look like it is supposed to be there. Now that I know better, it all makes sense. fixing it is easy.

Alexjet, use your hands to feel for the cold air. Unless some idiot kicked a hole in your plenum (how the hell coudl that ever happen ) you most likely have a simple crack or it is not fitted on quite right.