86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold air intake on Ebaymotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air intake on Ebaymotors

Has anybody tried one of these? I was looking at getting one but wanted to try to get an idea of exactly what I was buying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=004

Last edited by ThomasJ; 10-06-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
link?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:56 PM

LOL yea you would probly need that wouldnt ya haha. Fixed
Old 10-06-2007, 06:57 PM

Ya I bought one for my 3.4, I only had it in for a few months, then removed it for the deckplate mod. Wasn't very high quality, I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
$84? Talk about low quality. Dont be fooled by those shiny brackets. That thin flimsy stuff will fall apart in no time. 3.0 Motors dont really benefit from so-called "cold air intakes" anyways. PLus, you will no longer have an airbox to bolt the ISR's to, and they would just be flopping around, ASKING for the fan to grab ahold and cause thousands in damage.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:09 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will never understand the purpose of such things. The factory intake is in the fender or front of the hood, sucking in cold air. Yet these suck it right in from the WARM engine bay??
Old 10-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Do the ISR mod, its cheaper!
Old 10-06-2007, 08:02 PM

Um what is the ISR mod
Old 10-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
You replace the stock air tube that goes from the throttle body to the airbox with a custom peice, you also remove the silencer box.

Its said to improve throttle responce, and sounds pretty mean.

I am in the process of going the mod myself, using ABS piping and silicone couplers
Old 10-06-2007, 09:28 PM

well, i have an cold air intake and man does the 3.0 pull when its frezzin outside.
but yea that intake is crap u better off makin ur own intake like i did. it does improve throttle response alot n adds some hp not alot but some.....
Old 10-06-2007, 10:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah dude i found some racing intake and asked if it was cool to put on. looked pretty badass.

but in the end, get a deckplate mod, a k&n drop in, and isr mod, its just as good at any intake if not the best thing you can do
Old 10-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Contributing Member

I got a K&N intake. It came with my motor that I got, so it was free. It looked fairly new, so I just cleaned it, and it works great. I didn't really notice THAT MUCH more power, but MPG went up about 1, and it seems to compliment the headers, and sounds good. I also no longer have to downshift as often going up hills, it gives better throttle response. I would recommend the K&N, but I got mine for free. I don't think it's worth the $250+ to buy it new, though.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:45 PM

I was also wondering about this. Looks cheap though.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know the 3.0L very well, but I'd think that you'd be sucking in hot air from under the hood.. might flow better, but the temp difference could be significant.

There's an intake air temp sensor on the AFM that you can check before/after if you're curious.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:15 AM

"Maker: Bomz Racing" i think that should explain it all. i cant imagine it having any kind of quality at all and will proally "bombz" under your hood. im not going to get in the argument of a cai or not but ebay brand cheap products are what you pay for, cheap
Old 10-07-2007, 11:19 AM

there is a tech write up for the deckplate and isr mods for 2nd gens just go to the sections for write ups.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by stormin94
I got a K&N intake. It came with my motor that I got, so it was free. It looked fairly new, so I just cleaned it, and it works great. I didn't really notice THAT MUCH more power, but MPG went up about 1, and it seems to compliment the headers, and sounds good. I also no longer have to downshift as often going up hills, it gives better throttle response. I would recommend the K&N, but I got mine for free. I don't think it's worth the $250+ to buy it new, though.
A K&N isn't going to do anything for you except let more junk into the engine.
They don't filter as good as the OEM style filters and, on top of that, they really don't flow that much more air (in any at all) than a quality OEM style paper filter.

Check out the flow test and the filtration test that Bob the Oil Guy did.
Didn't flow any more air that would make a difference in what we drive and they let a lot more crap through to the engine.

Fred
Old 10-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FredTJ
A K&N isn't going to do anything for you except let more junk into the engine.
They don't filter as good as the OEM style filters and, on top of that, they really don't flow that much more air (in any at all) than a quality OEM style paper filter.

Check out the flow test and the filtration test that Bob the Oil Guy did.
Didn't flow any more air that would make a difference in what we drive and they let a lot more crap through to the engine.

Fred

Well, it seems to flow a helluva lot better than that crappy paper one that came with it. I have a noticable increase in horsepower, and throttle response, and about 1MPG gain. Do you even have one of these on your car?
I'm not trying to be rude, but I know what I've experienced, and that's an improvement over stock with my K&N.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by stormin94
Well, it seems to flow a helluva lot better than that crappy paper one that came with it. I have a noticable increase in horsepower, and throttle response, and about 1MPG gain. Do you even have one of these on your car?
I'm not trying to be rude, but I know what I've experienced, and that's an improvement over stock with my K&N.
Yup, ran one for a while and ditched it as soon as I say how much crap that it let through.

Everyone here seems to worship Bob the Oil Guy.
Go to the web site and look at the test that they ran, both air flow (almost no difference between paper and a K&N, certainly not enough to make any difference with these engines) and the filter test.

Fred
Old 10-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Yup, ran one for a while and ditched it as soon as I say how much crap that it let through.

Everyone here seems to worship Bob the Oil Guy.
Go to the web site and look at the test that they ran, both air flow (almost no difference between paper and a K&N, certainly not enough to make any difference with these engines) and the filter test.

Fred

Sounds interesting. Any LINK to the site? Or should I just it?

Quick Reply: Cold air intake on Ebaymotors