Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Code 71 EGR. Where to look/fix first?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a weird question. I think I have a way to clean it with the EGR equipment still intact. Does anyone know what side of nut you would need for the EGR valve? The bit shown in this picture: http://media.photobucket.com/image/2...0stuff/EGR.jpg

I'm looking to thread a bolt on there that is attached to a hose which is attached to a bottle of cleaning solution. The bottle could have an attachment for an air compressor to shoot the fluid into the engine and clean out the carbon. Does this sound like it could work?

Last edited by DupermanDave; 02-17-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Goodness that took less time than it takes to say it's done. We'll see if the CEL stays off now.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
The resistor has long legs of wire already on it.

Or am I confused by the question?

I thought it was something you had to wire in. I'll look in to that. I think the local radio shack went out of business, so it might be a while.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by stormin94
I thought it was something you had to wire in. I'll look in to that. I think the local radio shack went out of business, so it might be a while.
What I did was pull the connection apart and push the wires into the female end. Then I bent it back so I could half push the connections back together and use electrical tape to cover it all up. If the CEL stays off I'll pull the tape and shrink wrap then entire connection so it looks stock. The emissions place here does a visual inspection so the shrink wrap will hide the adjusted wiring.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
What I did was pull the connection apart and push the wires into the female end. Then I bent it back so I could half push the connections back together and use electrical tape to cover it all up. If the CEL stays off I'll pull the tape and shrink wrap then entire connection so it looks stock. The emissions place here does a visual inspection so the shrink wrap will hide the adjusted wiring.
No smog here till you sell, so I don't think they'll mind.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 PM

For you guys, did your CEL go on and off while driving? Or did you have to reset the ECU to get the light to go off?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
For you guys, did your CEL go on and off while driving? Or did you have to reset the ECU to get the light to go off?
No, mine stays on all the time. The only time it goes off is when I reset it, or disconnect the battery.....even then, after about 10-15 minutes it's back on again.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:27 PM

When I first pulled the codes and then cleaned the EGR (.22cal rifle brush and a bucket of cleaner) it was off for 3 or 4 tanks of fuel. Second cleaning was less. Next time the CEL would stay off for a few hundred miles and then flick on and off every once in a while. This last time it came on after 40 miles. I pulled the fuse each time to clear the codes but it kept coming back. I really think the EGR sensor has gone out but have no way to test it. I do feel that the EGR is working after looking at my emissions numbers.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:24 AM

Well my truck has started sputtering last night. It started up rough in the morning and idled really low, and yesterday after work it was fully warmed up and idling at about 450-500 RPMs.

Tuesday, I sprayed a lot of carb cleaner into the EGR temperature sensor hold with the sensor removed and then put the sensor back. Could this be the cause? Or could I actually have a bad EGR valve now?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Well my truck has started sputtering last night. It started up rough in the morning and idled really low, and yesterday after work it was fully warmed up and idling at about 450-500 RPMs.

Tuesday, I sprayed a lot of carb cleaner into the EGR temperature sensor hold with the sensor removed and then put the sensor back. Could this be the cause? Or could I actually have a bad EGR valve now?
Sensors don't like carb cleaner. You might have knocked some deposit loose.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by stormin94
Sensors don't like carb cleaner. You might have knocked some deposit loose.
I basically just sprayed it in the top where the sensor used to be and filled it with carb cleaner. I didn't do any scrubbing. I put the sensor back (so the cleaner didn't evaporate) and let the truck sit.

Does this hole drain right into the throttle body, or does this connect with the EGR valve plate on the back of the head? Could I pour seafoam in there, and would it be safe?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 AM

FYI, running the highest octane gas from shell (with the nitrogen and v-power additive) and running at high RPMS doesn't do anything for the EGR. I thought it may clean it just a little.

Any other suggestions for on-car cleaning methods? Is there a way to test if the rubber diaphram is still working?

Last edited by DupermanDave; 02-19-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
does that resister get hot or warm when its pluged in
Old 05-30-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shafner30
does that resister get hot or warm when its pluged in
i would like to know the same thing? also i replaced allmost everythig on my egr system and still get codes!!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by TOE-B
i would like to know the same thing? also i replaced allmost everythig on my egr system and still get codes!!!!
Did you replace the EGR temperature sensor?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:41 PM

Did you replace the EGR temperature sensor?
the temp sensor and a few vac hoses are the only things left to replace. i put the resistor in today and reset the cel and no codes yet......but now when im driving at hwy speed 55 or 60 it will stall out for a sec the light will flash when it does this, but it doesnt stay on. any ideas on what that might be? ive owned a few toyota trucks and i own a lexus now ive never had this much trouble with a cel. im starting to think i shouldnt have bought it. sorry didnt mean to hijack the thred i know im new here on this forum. lol but i need help!!!!! its driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:07 PM

i got a new one for ya. my CEL stays on until i encounter cold weather or an increase in altitude(go from 1500 to 5000). got any input on this issue? thank you.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:37 AM

you got me on that one. im starting to think this 4runner was a bad buy!!!!!... but i like the damn thing lol!!!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TOE-B
you got me on that one. im starting to think this 4runner was a bad buy!!!!!... but i like the damn thing lol!!!!!
Does it run good? Mine runs fine with the light on.... although I'm starting to think that might be why I've been getting poor MPG lately.....
Old 06-05-2010, 06:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
i just fixed my code 71 it was the egr passage hole inside intake on top right behide the throttle body you have to take off the throttle body for you to clean it out. there was a 1.5 carbon in front of the hole.

Quick Reply: Code 71 EGR. Where to look/fix first?