Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Code 62, Overdrive light, shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy crap. I was measuring the wrong connectors. They all show 13.6 OHMS which means it's not in the wiring harness. There is no voltage as well- I was measuring from the wrong side of the connector which is why I was getting readings from the wrong wiring. They all show 13.6 OHMS from the ECM connector disconnected from ECM. I am going to check the computer now and hopefully that is the culprit. Otherwise, it's an electrical gremlin. LOL. I think my connector is set up a little differently than what the manual indicates, but I should have went by the wiring instead. Going to check the computer now.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:41 PM

I'm getting 31-33 OHMS from the connector connected to the ECM. At first, SL was showing infinite until I fiddled with the probe a bit to get 33 OHMS. I wonder if the probe wasn't in far enough or if it pushed the wiring further up into the terminal? Now that I've gotten the proper level readings, I wonder if I need to try another ECM like the manual says?
Old 08-11-2012, 04:07 PM

It works fine now. Drove truck after putting everything back together. It must have been a combination of things- from the original fluid which was a little bit dirty to the solenoids which had black fluid come out of em when I took em out for inspection. I also went through the wiring and connectors- disconnecting and connecting em, so its possible they had something to do with the issue.

Cleaned around the transmission pan, used permatex grey right stuff on the pan without the gasket and it works great. Had to get the pan in fast, though cuz that stuff dries pretty quickly. Put in Valvoline Dex/Merc High mileage fluid, and as soon as I shifted into gear, I noticed an immediate difference. The write up in post #14 above was really helpful, so anyone replacing their tranny fluid and/or solenoids may find it beneficial.

Thanx, Scope103 for all your help. Saved me quite some time with the diagnosis process and I learned a lot in a short amount of time cuz of your posts.

Last edited by Korey; 08-11-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:38 PM

Same thing happened again two weeks ago, so I checked the wiring again and the #2 solenoid was showing an open this time, which was probably the solenoid that was originally in the #1 position before I took it out. Found a couple solenoids out of a older pickup from a u-pull-it place and it's been working great ever since.

Recently took it on a trip with my friend and it got 27mpg on the highway with windows open and bikes in the back. When I was calculating the mileage at the gas station, I thought something was off, but a second calculation proved to be correct.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:40 PM

Code 62

Originally Posted by Korey
Just helped my friend get a '92 2WD extended cab with 102k miles on it and no rust. It runs great and has no engine codes. However, when left in drive, it starts in what I think is 3rd gear and will not shift into overdrive or downshift when you press on the gas. When shifted manually into L, it goes into 1st gear fine, shifting into the 2 position seems to put it in third, and then shifting in to D seems to put it into overdrive, just like the FSM says its supposed to when the solenoid wire is disconnected. However, after about 20 min of driving around and shifting back and fourth, the flashing O/D light goes away and it shifts perfectly. It is showing a code 62 which is a severed or short in the #1 solenoid and I am puzzled as to what would cause the solenoid to act like it was disconnected for the first 20 minutes. The wire is obviously not severed, and if it was shorted, I don't think it would work at all, so what would cause the solenoid to not work until well after the truck is warmed up?

I've tried another battery and getting a jump from another running vehicle to see if maybe there wasn't enough power reaching the solenoid to no avail. I'd like to narrow the causes down before I open up the transmission pan. Any ideas or experiences are greatly appreciated. I have not needed to post much here because of the invaluable info that has already been posted which has saved me hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in work.

This will show you EXACTLY how to fix a code 62. I know because I made the video. I had the same problem. Your solenoid is on it's way out.