86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch grinding when pushed in

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch grinding when pushed in

I put a new tranny in my 87 runner along with a centerforce dual friction clutch and throwout bearing and whenever you push the clutch in it makes a grinding squeeling sound that goes away when you let it out.I thought the throwout bearing was shot and I found that sometimes it would not make the noise and when it didn't, the pedal felt easier to push in.My wife went to drive it today and when she started it the pedal went to the floor and the slave is leaking.I'm wondering if I replace the slave and master if the grinding noise will still be there.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:12 PM

sounds like a bad throwout bearing, I'd just replace the slave cylinder if thats leaking, and run some good clean fluid through the system to clean it up, try it again.

But I doubt it'll fix the grinding, the just sounds like a bad throwout bearing. You could try pushing the clutch in, and revving the engine a good while, that might get a temp bandaid fix on it. But I doubt it, might just leaked Brakefluid down to the bearing and that'll ruin bearings. If it was this way since you put it back togethe, could be bad bearing, or the bearing might have slipped off the fork a little.... EIther way sounds like your dropping your tranny again.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:20 PM

yeah I figured the bearing was bad but since it was intermitent with the easy pedal and didn't make noise when the pedal was easy and now all of a sudden the slave is leaking that there might be a chance the slave just was applying the right pressure or something.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:38 PM

I am just now getting to fixing this and my fork is sloppy when the pedal is up. Is ther a way to adjust that? What about the pivot ball?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like the fork isn't seated properly or maybe bent...? Either way, you need to take a look at it for something amiss.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:19 PM

I had somewhat of the same thing except it always did it and there was no change in pedal pressure. When i put in my new clutch i made sure to replace the pilot bearing in the flywheel. Since before i owned the truck and someone had ran it without knowing the pilot bushing was bad the input shaft on the tranny was worn. So the bearing doesnt sit real well on the shaft and it alows it to vibrate. When the clutch is engaged the flywheel and the shaft spin in unisen but when you disengage it there is little presure on that bearing and the play on the shaft lets it vibrate. You cant really fix it unless you replace the tranny main shaft but i took it apart when i did my clutch and put some quick metal (kinda like jd weld except better) made sure the clutch worked and let it sit for 24 hours to let the stuff harden. Then it kind filled the shaft and i had no more vibration. My .02 hope this helps clutch issues suck cause you have to take apart a bunch to fix them. as for hydrualics its really aint expensive for a new master and slave i think i paid like 20 for the slave and 37 for the master? not to bad

Last edited by neilan; 07-31-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:47 PM

I just replaced the master and the slave too but the new slave over extended and blew the seal so I need another one. The tranny is from Marlin Crawler with maybe 1,500 miles on it. It did it as soo as I started it up after installing the Centerforce and tranny. When I started it up and moved it into the garage the noise was gone and it felt good. The slave shaft is pushed all the way out, holding the fork and throwout away from the clutch. I am dropping it this week.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:03 PM

Well I got it apart today and I think I put the throwout bearing in backwards. There are some score marks on the fingers of the pressure plate but not too bad. Can you tell by looking at the bearing if it's on backwards? There is also wear marks on the ends of the fork so I will be replacing that too.That bearing only ha about 1,500 miles on it too.