Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

clunking noise from cv's when driving in rough terrain

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
clunking noise from cv's when driving in rough terrain

Hi guys.

There is a noise comming from my front cv's when I drive over rough terrain. It seems that my cv's are loose inside.

I know there is a locking ring that holds the cv shaft in place, but still is kinda loose (maybe some .050" of play).

Anyway this lose play is what's making the noise.

Has anybody done any mods or added shims or something to the cv's to make them stop making the noise (remove the play).

Any input on this matter would be appreciated...
Old 08-12-2010, 08:15 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
time for new cv's.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
You see, the problem is not that the cv's are going bad, is that the cv's are not being pulled in enough so that there is no more play (back and forth play).
This play is only inside the whole spindle unit (bearings-locking hub, etc).

There is a snap ring that holds the shaft inplace inside the spindle unit, will it need some more washers or something else to keep it in tighter and not move anymore?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Research spindle bushings.

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...imrockford.htm

Last edited by thook; 08-22-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, do what Thook said.

and are you sure it's not a bad CV?

i have one CV that is basically done for...the inside shaft will spin, but the outter joint will not (where the lock ring is)..it rattles like crazy

that reminds me...i need to fix those whenever my '86 gets back to the house
Old 10-20-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem ... it started after a short afternoon of wheeling a bit hard! CV's are ok, but the shaft moves in and out on the spindles; it doesn't spin in the spindles, it just moves in and out ... and I know this because I pulled out the hub cover and the snap ring is still intact. It seems like something on the other end of the shaft, in the diff itself! I still have to pull it out to find out what the problem is!
Will let you know when I pull it out ... it won't be just yet though!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:31 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine clunk too. I may buy some used spindles, install a set of bushings. Then swap m out. That way I am not down too long. And perhaps new ball joints etc.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Grease the spindle bushings first. You can also buy spacers of different thicknesses from Toyota. Those are the washers with splined insides that go under the snap ring. There is a FSM spec for clearance.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM

MM interesting I never knew that, to Toyota I go
Old 10-23-2010, 11:12 AM

Been to Toyota here, but ...

... apparently they don't know about the splined washers mentioned here! Instead they told me I have to change the cross on the gearbox end (not wheel end) which comes complete with cross housing, which in turn looks like a CV I think! Kinda expensive if bought from here!

I think I'm going to leave it as it is until I change over to SAS!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by RustBucket
Grease the spindle bushings first. You can also buy spacers of different thicknesses from Toyota. Those are the washers with splined insides that go under the snap ring. There is a FSM spec for clearance.
Indeed there is a spec for clearance. But the spacer/washer isn't something that they recommend replacing to fix it. This is what's stated in the FSM:
4. MEASURE STEERING KNUCKLE BUSHING THRUST
CLEARANCE

(a) Install a bolt in the drive shaft.

(b) Using a feeler gauge,measure the front drive shaft
thrust clearance between the steering knuckle out–
side bushing and spacer, by pulling the bolt and ap–
plying 98 N (10 kgf, 22.0 lbf) of pressure.

Front drive shaft thrust clearance:
Standard clearance 0.075 – 0.690 mm
(0.0030 – 0.0272 in.)
Maximum clearance 1.0 mm (0.039 in.)

If the measurement more than maximum, replace the steering knuckle outside and inside bushings.

Originally Posted by Teuf
MM interesting I never knew that, to Toyota I go
Yeah, me neither,'till today.

Originally Posted by skydso
... apparently they don't know about the splined washers mentioned here! Instead they told me I have to change the cross on the gearbox end...
Umm...spindle bushings, replace them. Case closed. Case re-opened, apparently they do have them. Choice is yours whether to try again or just replace the bushings. BTW...NEVER go to the stealership,, ALWAYS go to YOTATECH(see quote from post #4 below for where you went wrong there).

Originally Posted by thook
Research spindle bushings.
We have those idiots beat by miles!

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-23-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:07 PM

I just ordered the additional thicker washers, 2 wider. I'll report on the install and bumpy road test.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:12 PM

BTW...NEVER go to the stealership,, ALWAYS go to YOTATECH(see quote from post #4 below for where you went wrong there).

We have those idiots beat by miles![/LEFT]

Actually Toyota are very helpful over here! Besides, I get particular attention in there since one of my very best friends works there at the parts shop!
Also, it's only a 10 mins drive from anywhere to go to the dealer here! The island is soooo small, remember?!

I'll have a look around for spindle bushings as you suggested .... hmmm ... wonder where I can find them to buy!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:22 PM

good thread here ...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...eplace-221504/

thanks ...
Old 10-23-2010, 03:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Teuf
I just ordered the additional thicker washers, 2 wider. I'll report on the install and bumpy road test.
Well played. You trumped my FSM card! Who'd a thunk it?

I admire your persistence. But, you could have explained in more detail how you came to that decision. Who informed you that it was the correct procedure to aquire/install those to solve the problem? Just curious. Obviously one might not be able trust what the FSM says on it. It makes no mention of them. I'm then left wondering "but who/what/why?"(rhetorically).

Who says you should?

What's the reasoning behind replacing the bushings and not the spacer to correct the clearance?

Why not just replace the spacer?

What issue is really being addressed by replacing either to correct the end-play clearance?

Why are they not listed as front driveshaft(CV halfshaft)parts?

I only bothered to look elsewhere to confirm or deny the accuracy of your statement. Not that I don't believe you. Well, actually yes, that is why. That and being confounded at the fact that I'd searched for them to no avail.

And then after reading your post there, and diving back in, look what I found to my suprise. There they were listed as front axle hub parts. What trickery!

43213C SPACER (FOR DRIVE SHAFT)
90560-27005 RN6*, VN6*, LN66; T=2.0
90560-27010 RN6*, VN6*, LN66; T=1.8
90560-27011 RN6*, VN6*, LN66; T=2.25

However, I don't suppose you really did measure the clearance did you? And what was it if you did? And what size spacers did you order? And you ordered those to replace which size? And that should be what's needed to put the clearance in specs? I hope you'd thought about these questions before you ordered them? Or you were just going for the cheapest fix eh? Much as I may have. If I hadn't already replaced my spindle bushings and solved the issue with mine. Which was more of a fix than I'd expected too, because I recieved upgraded bushings. They now are the same as found on the T-100. And are worth investing in for their added strength/durability and shaft support(larger load bearing surfaces).

Anywho, hope that works for ya. Though I doubt it will. Why? Because it doesn't address the real issue with why they would need replaced, or would be causing the "rattling/clunking" problem most have experienced. That's due to the bushings being worn on the inside where the shaft is in constant contact with them. Not because of wear on the outsides of them which would cause the end-play clearance to be out of specs. Over time the spinning shaft removes the material from the bores of the bushings making them larger. This causes there to be looseness in the assembly, and the shaft begins to bounce around inside the bushings causing an audible sound. Only fix for that is to replace the bushings. Sorry.

BTW...NEVER go to the stealership,, ALWAYS go to YOTATECH(see quote from post #4 below for where you went wrong there).

We have those idiots beat by miles![/left]

Actually Toyota are very helpful over here! Besides, I get particular attention in there since one of my very best friends works there at the parts shop!
Also, it's only a 10 mins drive from anywhere to go to the dealer here! The island is soooo small, remember?!

I'll have a look around for spindle bushings as you suggested .... hmmm ... wonder where I can find them to buy!
Bought mine online from 1stToyotaParts.com. They ship international. They've never given me any denials to my parts requests either. Of course I've never asked for any parts I wasn't sure would solve my problem, had any doubts existed, or doubted would fit my truck.

What help is it for them to tell you that those spacers aren't available, when they really are? Those are real part numbers I've provided above. Sounds like they've been a little less than helpful to me. And you're welcome too, BTW.
Thank you.

I agree in full. Very good info there.

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-24-2010 at 09:22 AM.