Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Clickity Click Click, make it stop!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clickity Click Click, make it stop!!

Ok, i am having a tuff time figuring out what is causing the clicking while the engine is running, it sounds like it could be valves but i adjusted them twice and i thought the timing chain looked good, it didn't start clicking until after i got it and had to mess with stuff . It is pretty loud i can hear it from inside the house when the truck is running. If i put a screw driver up to the T in Toyota written on the valve cover i can really hear the clicks LOUD but if i move it more than an inch in any direction it is no longer loud what's up? is one valve still not right?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like a vavle tick could be wrong but i would have to here it or it could be the timeing chain

Last edited by Elton; 01-22-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:43 PM

possibly just the injectors. when i first got mine i was all over with the screwdriver listening, did the valves, still there. swore it was the timing chain as that's where the noise seemed loudest. my neighbor happens to be a mechanic and has an '88. had him listen and sure enough, the injectors.

has this just now come up? run any BG or injector cleaner through it recently which may account for them loosening up?
Old 01-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

no, when it started i hadn't ran anything through it. the T in Toyota is just behind the oil cap, what could make a click sound right in the center of the valve cover? i guess it could be timing chain. I did run a can of sea foam through after it started, but didn't really help.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:02 PM

the problem is that the sound can really travel. like i said, i thought i had a timing chain problem. try listening on the intakes, at the injectors. i have a constant snap, snap, snap noticeable mainly at idle.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:37 PM

How many miles are on it since the timing chain was replaced? Has it ever been replaced?

In my older 22R Toyota I kept hearing a ticking sound too but it turned out to be the timing chain guides, they were broken so the timing chain could then slap the timing chain cover. After about 5K miles of that and you'll make a port for the oil and water to mix nicely

You said that you have adjusted the valves... to what gap?
Old 01-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

I adjusted the valve to .008 and .012 when HOT... very hot. i don't know when the chain was last replaced, i have only had the truck about a year but i know much was replaced about 30k mi ago, and an entirely new engine was put in. Do you think they would replace the chain if they got a new engine? i don't think it was doing it before i messed with the valves the fist time. i guess i might as well open the cover and take a look. Then i would know for sure.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much did you tighten down on the valve cover? Did you follow the torque spec, or did you really tighten those caps? If you over tightened the valve cover caps you could be interfering with the valves by hitting the cover. That would give off one heck of a click or clack.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

i'll check that, but i loosened them alot and ran it and the noise didn't change, so i tightend them back up a little. but i didn't take the cover off, so i'll try doing this, is there a low point in the cover just behind the oil cap?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

ok removed cover, readjusted the valves although they were not off much. checked chain and guides and it was new and still perfect. Reinstalled the cover to spec and still clicking. loud enough to her in the cab with the radio on. if i hold screw driver to first 2 or 3 cyl i can't really hear a click 4th cyl i definitely get a click and i get a click pretty much everywhere on the valve cover. Please my truck is LOUDER than our diesel.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:22 PM

Same thing here , My mechanic adjusted valves twice, and the click is still here- he says it is the rockers. He will change timing chain,guides and tensioner this month, because they are toasted.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Contributing Member

ok, anybody have any info on the rockers? are they adjustable and if so how?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:34 AM

I believe that they need to be replaced.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
There are several issues that can cause rocker arm noises. Most common is worn adjustment screws. Next, make sure you have the updated spacers between cyl. 2&3 on the intake side. This was actually a recall, which I got, but not everybody received that memo from Toyota. Last, are worn rocker arm pads.

Replace all adjustment screws and check for the spacer. Replace the rocker arms (or have them re-machined if you want to go that route) as a last resort.

http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Tech/Fixs.htm
Old 02-05-2006, 12:41 PM

THANKS for the info!!!
It is extremly helpful.
This could be the end of notorius tick-tick
Old 02-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

i wonder if that applies to the notorious ticking sound the 3vze makes.

lee
Old 02-05-2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 84sr5yoty
There are several issues that can cause rocker arm noises. Most common is worn adjustment screws. Next, make sure you have the updated spacers between cyl. 2&3 on the intake side. This was actually a recall, which I got, but not everybody received that memo from Toyota.
can you fill me in on that recall. do you remember which years, etc. were recalled. bought my truck used and would like to follow up.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:26 PM

The 4runner has the loudest injectors that I have ever laid my ears on, i would guess its them
Old 02-06-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by javadoody
can you fill me in on that recall. do you remember which years, etc. were recalled. bought my truck used and would like to follow up.
Well.........the recall work was done in 1986. The recall was somthing like "Rocker Shaft Washer Modification." That's about all I remeber, sorry.

I guess you could call Toyota and ask if it was done. Sometimes they can give you that info from the VIN#. Mabey vehicles from 1986- have the modified washer.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

ok, the engine has less than 30k mi on it, so do you really think it could be worn adjuster screws? or other worn parts? is there a good way to record the noise? i don't know how you give you guys an idea of how loud it really is. Let me know a noise you all know that i can record first to contrast the tick with so you will know how loud it really is. it actually sounds louder on the sides of the truck is this just because it resonates off the ground? Because it makes it sound like it is coming from under the truck.

Quick Reply: Clickity Click Click, make it stop!!